TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
JPA2825

Looking for New Setup for Xmas Present

I have been out of the TiVo business for awhile. Started back in 199? with some early adopter purchases when my wife worked at Procer & Gamble. Have been hooked ever since.

CURRENT SETUP
3 S3 TiVos all with PLS (man cave, living room & bedroom). 1 has an upgraded Weaknees HD and the other 2 have external HD -- no issues, fingers crossed for many years). No real way to make any content portable to another platform.

Roku3s on 2 TVs (man cave big screen is ancient and doesn't have HDMI) + kitchen TV.

Google Chromecast

Amazon Prime, HBOGO, Showtime On Demand, Netflix.

TWC with everything but the local channels copy protected.

FUTURE SETUP
Would give 2 of the 3 S3 TiVos to kids. Not sure about the 3rd. Know very little, but thinking a Roamio+ or Pro and Minis would work well. If the price is right, might even put a Mini on the kitchen TV.

Given TWC, should I make Slingbox a part of my setup? Maybe the Slingbox 350 currently offered at Amazon Prime for $90?

What is best setup? What are best deals? Looks like there is a "loyalty deal" for 10 yr. + customers (which I would easily qualify for).

Any help greatly appreciated. Used to check TCF all the time. Been stagnant with current setup for so long, I really don't know what the possibilities are and suspect I am missing out on some great things.

JPA2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd ditch the S3s completely and get the kids Minis too. You'd save a lot on CableCARDs that way.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
mrizzo80

Are the "kids" living with you (ie you will put the TiVo's in their bedrooms) or are they adults out of the house?

Do you plan on watching TiVo outside your home (phone/tablet) a lot? If not, I don't think a Slingbox is necessary. All TWC channels will work fine on your local network. Local channels will stream fine out of your house too.

A single master Roamio with Mini's sprinkled throughout the house is a pretty nice setup. You can price match Sam's Club at Best Buy right now for 114.xx. That price will include lifetime service on the Mini as long as you activate it before Jan 6. No one knows exactly what is coming (or what the price point will be), but a refreshed Mini is likely coming soon.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tivo-mi...rod13280052.ip

Netflix, Amazon Prime, VUDU, and UltraViolet will all work on both the Roamio and the Mini's on day one. HBO GO could very well come in 2015. Haven't ever really heard rumors about Showtime Anytime.

I wouldn't keep the 3rd S3 around in any capacity. I'm sure you could sell it on eBay or CL and totally cover the cost of 1 Mini.

mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
JPA2825

Sorry. Both of the kids are in college and that is why they would be getting the TiVo S3s w/ PLS.

I do travel quite a bit and would like to be able to take / watch shows whilst traveling. Suspect I would be limited to local shows from TWC w/o introduction of a Slingbox.

Need to do some more research, but thanks much for the initial feedback and the Sam's price. (I have a Sam's membership.)

Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
JWhites

Being someone who is college age, I hate to say it but they'd much rather have newer tech then an S3, even if it did have lifetime service. Sell the S3's.

JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
gthassell

JPA, I just left you a PM - I have two Roamio Plus units (new, sealed, lifetime) available. Just let me know if you are interested.

lifetimed S1s, S2s, and S3 HD.
unsubscribed Premiere
gthassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
JPA2825

Research so far suggests trying to get loyalty deal (Roamio Plus, PLS and, maybe, a free Slide Remote) since I qualify for it.

Then get 2 or more TiVo Minis from 3rd parties (Sam's, Amazon, etc.) and activate prior to 1.6.15 to get $0 PLS on them.

Anyone disagree before I call and play CSR roulette? I will advise my luck.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
JPA2825

Pulled the trigger and, after some confusing travails with TiVo CSR, the Roamio Plus and Slide Remote were delivered today.

I am wondering, can I just pull a M-Stream cable card from 1 of my 3 TiVo HDs and shove it in the Roamio Plus? If not, can I take that and calll TWC / TiVo to have it reprogrammed in the Roamio Plus? Basically, I would like to avoid scheduling a visit from a TWC technician.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA2825 View Post
Pulled the trigger and, after some confusing travails with TiVo CSR, the Roamio Plus and Slide Remote were delivered today.

I am wondering, can I just pull a M-Stream cable card from 1 of my 3 TiVo HDs and shove it in the Roamio Plus? If not, can I take that and calll TWC / TiVo to have it reprogrammed in the Roamio Plus? Basically, I would like to avoid scheduling a visit from a TWC technician.
You can't hurt anything. I pulled the M-Card from a Premiere and placed it in a Roamio and back again twice. Settled on the Roamio after it was replaced. You will need to call for a pairing if you are missing channels.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
You'll need to call. TWC encrypts most channels so it will require pairing to work in the Roamio. But pairing it to a new TiVo should be relatively painless. You just give them the new host and data IDs, which are displayed on screen when you insert the card, and they plug them into their system. If all goes well it should take less then 5 minutes to get working.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
JPA2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You'll need to call. TWC encrypts most channels so it will require pairing to work in the Roamio. But pairing it to a new TiVo should be relatively painless. You just give them the new host and data IDs, which are displayed on screen when you insert the card, and they plug them into their system. If all goes well it should take less then 5 minutes to get working.
Dan203 - you are right. Painless process with TWC's dedicated CableCard phone line (findable from the TiVo help sheet that comes with it). Got it working.

Next problem: Activated the MoCa network within the Roamio & then set up the 1st TiVo Mini. Got all the way through the Guided Setup to the screen where they ask you to pick the TiVo you want to share with. Both the Roamio and 1 of the HDs show up to pick from, but both have red circles through them and cannot be chosen. When chosen, they say "Not on same network" and gives some advice and the TiVo help phone #.

Not sure what is going on there. Maybe I need to go back and put the Roamio on the MoCa network now that it has been activated? Waiting for 1000 ET to call TiVo Customer Support for some help.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA2825 View Post
Next problem: Activated the MoCa network within the Roamio & then set up the 1st TiVo Mini. Got all the way through the Guided Setup to the screen where they ask you to pick the TiVo you want to share with. Both the Roamio and 1 of the HDs show up to pick from, but both have red circles through them and cannot be chosen. When chosen, they say "Not on same network" and gives some advice and the TiVo help phone #.

Not sure what is going on there. Maybe I need to go back and put the Roamio on the MoCa network now that it has been activated? Waiting for 1000 ET to call TiVo Customer Support for some help.
The red circles indicate a permissions problem on TiVo's end. Give it a few hours (maybe as much as 24), then connect again (with both units, I think). You might have to power-cycle the Mini, since when I had a similar problem there didn't seem to be any other way to escape from the setup menus so it could reconnect to TiVo's servers.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
JPA2825

Worked with Tech Support to get this solved. Updated Roamio, power cycled the modem, router, Roamio & Mini and then it worked.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah you usually have to force a couple of calls on both units and reboot them before it will allow you to pick your host. Kinda a PITA, but you only have to do it once.