TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Of course, had Zoe backed up her iPhone to her computer, Underwood would be screwed.
Very true, although I know a ton of people who don't backup their phone regularly if at all. Not out of the realm of possibility but since she's a journalist, I would have expected her to backup her phone at least once a week if not sooner.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #32
Beryl

Quote:
Of course, had Zoe backed up her iPhone to her computer, Underwood would be screwed.

I thought the same thing. Depending on her erasing a contact and messages was silly. That data still exists.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #33
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Very true, although I know a ton of people who don't backup their phone regularly if at all. Not out of the realm of possibility but since she's a journalist, I would have expected her to backup her phone at least once a week if not sooner.
I back up my phone almost daily but I know that I'm by far, the exception to the rule.

I've known a number of professionals who do not back up their phone at all.

If I were Lucas, I'd be checking her computer before engaging a hacker to break into the phone company's database.
But I suspect that the writers will ignore that possibility as it doesn't have the irony of Underwood inadvertently nudging Lucas to seek out the hacker by influencing the Secretary of State about China about the cyber warfare issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I thought the same thing. Depending on her erasing a contact and messages was silly. That data still exists.
True.

I was thinking though, if Zoe was syncing her calendar and contacts to iCloud or Google, the last sync may not have gone through due to poor data connectivity (not uncommon in subway stations) on not having enough time to sync before she was hit by that train (assuming her iPhone was destroyed in the impact).

I can't remember if she actually voice called Underwood or not but they didn't show her deleting her call log either.

However, Underwood's contact in the cloud doesn't prove anything.
He could just hand wave that away saying, "I don't know how she got my number but she was asking for a quote about a story".

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #34
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Funny.

I knew that "Jackie" was familiar and was sure she was "Stands With A Fist" from "Dances with Wolves."

Nope. Doppleganger.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #35
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Another funny is when I rewatched the last 3 episodes of Season 1 I thought how Frank could be tripped up because Russo was in the passenger seat.

Frank's driver also knows that Frank drove Russo's car home. That's why he had to be kept in the fold, I guess.

How did Frank know which berth in the garage was Russo's?
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #36
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Funny.

I knew that "Jackie" was familiar and was sure she was "Stands With A Fist" from "Dances with Wolves."

Nope. Doppleganger.
Ignoring the fact that they don't really look much alike at all, you really thought Mary McDonnell, who was 38 in 1990 when "Dances with Wolves" was released, would still look that good in 2014 when she's 62?

Oh wait, I guess I should have realized this is the artist formerly known as Netringer, who antagonized the "hawt" threads with pics of senior citizens.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #37
DeDondeEs

That was great when at the very end of ep 1 he looks at the camera and says "Did you think I forgot about you?"

While watching the episode I was wondering if they had abandoned the talking to the camera aspect, which really wouldn't have made much sense because that is part of what makes the show so great.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #38
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

What reason does Frank have to (get the POTUS to) defy Tusk, other than to show him who's in charge?

I lost track, but I gather Frank/Jackie had to offer Buchwalter Ways and Means to get him to NOT drop out of the race for Whip so Jackie could win the split vote, and he insisted that Jackie's mentor Havemeyer had to pay for opposing him for senate?
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #39
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
What reason does Frank have to (get the POTUS to) defy Tusk, other than to show him who's in charge?
Frank wields his power through influence and manipulation. If POTUS is consulting Tusk on every decision, then that limits Frank's ability to influence and manipulate POTUS, which limit's Frank's ability to do what he does best.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #40
DeDondeEs

I'm going to start a new drinking game. Whenever someone asks Frank "Did you know about this?" take a drink.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #41
GoPackGo

You'll pass out by E05.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #42
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Frank Underwood or Frank Gallagher?

Coincidence? I think not.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #43
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

I lost track, but I gather Frank/Jackie had to offer Buchwalter Ways and Means to get him to NOT drop out of the race for Whip so Jackie could win the split vote, and he insisted that Jackie's mentor Havemeyer had to pay for opposing him for senate?
I thought that Webb approached Buchwalter about supporting him against Jackie, saying that she was leaking info to them to use against each other and they needed to unite against her.

My thought was that Jackie offered Ways and Means to Buchwalter in order get his support (and voting bloc) for her.

Jackie reluctantly threw her mentor under the bus to seal the deal.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #44
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I don't think I noticed before that Frank's initials are "F. U." Did they make a point of it in the first season and I missed it or forgot? It is surreal that Frank's bodyguard gave him cufflinks with "F U".

R.I.P. Zoe Barnes

Are we supposed to believe that Frank timed that perfectly, getting Zoe to say "murder" just in time so that he could leave, she follow, and he push her in front of the train with less than a second to spare? The other alternative, that the timing was just a coincidence, is even harder to believe.
Love the show.

However...

Wow, the cops really didn't look at the camera video 30 seconds before Zoe flies in front of the train? Or where she was the prior 10 minutes and how she and the guy she spoke to both walked the same path when leaving the camera?

Yikes, that seemed like a huge miss.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #45
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Frank has really manipulated the new WHIP candidate...she totally threw her friend under the bus (or train).
Why did she have to sell out her friend? I missed that piece.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #46
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
There's a reason why he met her where he did. Out of the video cameras and wearing a hat to try to conceal his identity. That and the deletion of FU's contact info and the past iMessages. One less problem to worry about.
That was another item that bugged me.

Wouldn't they be able to look at her phone records and see that she deleted FU's contact three minutes before death?

Fishy.

...and yes, they mentioned that it's hard to get phone records. But on every other show (Law & Order, etc.) they get them pretty easily. Heck, just get Zoe's phone off the train tracks and check it.

Last edited by uncdrew : 02-19-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #47
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
on the doctor visits: remember they had an agreement that they wouldn't have kids. they discussed it last season. She however, started to get the maternal clock ticking and is just exploring her options right now. at this point, she probably doesn't know which way she's going to go.
You certainly might be right, but I took it to be that she needed information about those experimental drugs so she could effectively black-mail her ex-employee.

The second she got that, no need to talk to doctor anymore.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #48
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Why did she have to sell out her friend? I missed that piece.
Jackie needed Buchwalter's support. As above Frank was hoping that Buchwalter and would split the vote for Whip so Jackie could win, but Jackie asked Buchwalter for his votes? Buchwalter wanted Jackie's mentor, Havemeyer to endure pain for financing the candidate opposing him for Senate - 11 years ago.

Quote:
...Wouldn't they be able to look at her phone records and see that she deleted FU's contact three minutes before death?

...and yes, they mentioned that it's hard to get phone records. But on every other show they get them pretty easily. Heck, just get Zoe's phone off the train tracks and check it.
Frank watched her delete him as a contact and all of his texts, but of course they get saved all over the place.

She was on Letterman pretty much giving away what happens, "Stay away from the subway."
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #49
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Frank wields his power through influence and manipulation. If POTUS is consulting Tusk on every decision, then that limits Frank's ability to influence and manipulate POTUS, which limit's Frank's ability to do what he does best.
Yes, he's amazing at getting people to distrust one another.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #50
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Jackie needed Buchwalter's support. As above Frank was hoping that Buchwalter and would split the vote for Whip so Jackie could win, but Jackie asked Buchwalter for his votes? Buchwalter wanted Jackie's mentor, Havemeyer to endure pain for financing the candidate opposing him for Senate - 11 years ago.
Ahh...

So there were 2 guys up for Whip. I thought when Jackie talked to one of them he was wanting her to burn the other one. Not Jackie's benefactor.

So if each of those 2 guys up for whip had 40% of the votes each and Jackie had 20%, she helped one by screwing her benefactor and now has 60% of the votes in exchange.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #51
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Love the show.

However...

Wow, the cops really didn't look at the camera video 30 seconds before Zoe flies in front of the train? Or where she was the prior 10 minutes and how she and the guy she spoke to both walked the same path when leaving the camera?

Yikes, that seemed like a huge miss.
Yeah, that was a huge plot hole. No way would they only zero in on that tiny portion of the video, but even worse, was the fact that Lucas, an intrepid reporter, didn't call them on it and ask to see everything from the moment Zoe entered the station.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #52
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yeah, that was a huge plot hole. No way would they only zero in on that tiny portion of the video, but even worse, was the fact that Lucas, an intrepid reporter, didn't call them on it and ask to see everything from the moment Zoe entered the station.
I don't think that Underwood was actually on camera.
Remember that he was staying in the construction area, around the fence corner from Zoe.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #53
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Yes, but it would have showed strange behavior from her.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #54
john4200

Quote:
I don't think that Underwood was actually on camera.
Remember that he was staying in the construction area, around the fence corner from Zoe.

That is what I thought, too. To see Frank, you had to be standing close to the track, and even then Frank was in shadow wearing dark clothes. The surveillance camera does not quite have the angle. It is close, though. Possibly someone standing near the track could have seen Frank, but apparently no one came forward.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #55
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
The way she approached the fence, furtively looking around, would look strange. Then leaning against the fence and her mouth moving would look very strange. And her dash behind the fence also. The show glossed over all of that by just showing her "leap" into the train from the surveillance camera.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #56
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
...and he entered the subway. He's on camera.

I actually spent enough time rewinding and rewatching (enough that my wife got a bit perturbed) and it looked like their conversation started in clear view of the camera we witnessed in the police station.

I told my wife I'd come to the internet (which mean y'all) and someone would have done a better job researching it than I did.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #57
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
The way she approached the fence, furtively looking around, would look strange. Then leaning against the fence and her mouth moving would look very strange. And her dash behind the fence also. The show glossed over all of that by just showing her "leap" into the train from the surveillance camera.
I did appreciate how Frank spun her before throwing her on the tracks.

Made me think it was most certainly pre-meditated. At least by a few minutes.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #58
rifleman69

Quote:
Ahh...

So there were 2 guys up for Whip. I thought when Jackie talked to one of them he was wanting her to burn the other one. Not Jackie's benefactor.

So if each of those 2 guys up for whip had 40% of the votes each and Jackie had 20%, she helped one by screwing her benefactor and now has 60% of the votes in exchange.

Thanks.
Yep, the other two also figured it out and had to "work" with each other to keep her out.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #59
rifleman69

Quote:
...and he entered the subway. He's on camera.
That's why he wore the hat, (suspend reality for a bit here), he never looked up at the cameras and it would be hard to identify him from any camera angle (back to reality).

This thread is making me jones for starting up episode 3.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #60
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
That's why he wore the hat, (suspend reality for a bit here), he never looked up at the cameras and it would be hard to identify him from any camera angle (back to reality).

This thread is making me jones for starting up episode 3.
Yes, I like suspending reality. It's only on really, really good shows that I expect a little more. And with just 20 seconds more of conversation all my issues with this could have been resolved.