TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Punker1234

Sling > Tivo > TV Component AND Tivo > TV HDMI?

Is this possible?

Maybe it's just silly, but I was never fond of component cables and was hoping to keep my normal HDMI connection.

Is it possible to do that, but then have a Slingbox connect via component as well? I realized after some research that there may be an error that shows up on screen regarding an inactive HDMI signal, but that can be fixed with an active HDMI splitter.

Would this work? Thanks for your help.
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
sangs

Not sure what model Slingbox you have, but that's how I have my 350 connected. I don't have component going from the Slingbox to the TV though, only from the Tivo to the Slingbox. (HDMI from Tivo to TV.) Works fine.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I have a Slingbox 500 with a Roamio basic connected via HDMI and a DirecTV receiver connected via component cables.

In my case it works to use HDMI for the TiVo because it is OTA and no cable company can mess with copy protection. For cable TV subscribers this is not recommended.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
rainwater

If you do HDMI from the TiVo to the tv and component from the Slingbox and TiVo it will probably work. Most TVs don't have a problem with this but some will cause HDCP handshake issues with the tv is off so you will not be able to stream over the Slingbox then. But the only way to know is to test it.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Might try one of these, the are reported to allow you have hdmi and work well with HDCP issues:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LVXC/

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I have my sling connected this way and it works perfectly.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
sangs

You don't need an HDMI splitter or any other additional equipment. Just run component from the Tivo to the Slingbox and you're golden. You don't have to connect the Sling to the TV. Have been doing it this way for over a year now. First with the FiOS DVR, now with a Tivo.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
You don't need an HDMI splitter or any other additional equipment. Just run component from the Tivo to the Slingbox and you're golden. You don't have to connect the Sling to the TV. Have been doing it this way for over a year now. First with the FiOS DVR, now with a Tivo.
However there is a "little" feature in the above mentioned splitter that helps content to be streamed though newer slingbox (500?) though hdmi output. Sure the component output works fine but if you desire to use the hdmi capabilities of the newer slingbox, the splitter helps you out. (wink, wink).... Not sure if I can go into much more detail.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
However there is a "little" feature in the above mentioned splitter that helps content to be streamed though newer slingbox (500?) though hdmi output. Sure the component output works fine but if you desire to use the hdmi capabilities of the newer slingbox, the splitter helps you out. (wink, wink).... Not sure if I can go into much more detail.
Why would you need a splitter? The 500 has HDMI out. And the HDMI feature is mostly for streaming local content on the Slingbox. Most channels will not support streaming so it will have to fall back to component. The HDMI feature is mostly just for a pass-thru to keep from having to do component to the tv. But you still need to do component and HDMI into the Slingbox (or just component if you don't need the passthru).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Not sure about the newer Sling; I have one that's about three years old. I run component from TiVo to Sling and that's where it ends. Audio is simply RCAs from TiVo to Sling since I don't care about the audio quality. I run HDMI from TiVo to HT receiver.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post

Why would you need a splitter? The 500 has HDMI out. And the HDMI feature is mostly for streaming local content on the Slingbox. Most channels will not support streaming so it will have to fall back to component. The HDMI feature is mostly just for a pass-thru to keep from having to do component to the tv. But you still need to do component and HDMI into the Slingbox (or just component if you don't need the passthru).
The splitter isn't really there to split the signal, he's trying to say that you should use it to supply the HDCP authorization to the Slingbox and tivo so it outputs ALL channels from the TiVo, even if the tv is off. I haven't done it but I think what you do is split one output to the sling and one to the tv.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote