TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
dlongnecker

pro cablecard signal to strong?

Recently purchased a Pro and Mini. Got the cable card paired successfully the first try. However, 1 week into it I noticed I had the Comcast VOD freeze problem.

Called Comcast several times with all the correct words about settings/etc. to no avail. I talked to Tivo and they said my wifi signal strength was too weak and causing it not to work, and suggested I go MoCa.

Purchased MoCa and got that working no problem, but still the same original problem. Comcast said I needed a new cable card. Went and got a new cable card, and with that one I still had the same problem, but lost all my premium channels. Got another one....same problem. Got another one, same problem.

Tivo said my signal strength was too high (100% on signal and 42 on the other). Bought a set on attenuators today. Put a 10 in just now and the 42 went to a 40, however MoCa lost connection to the network. Tivo says the 42 should be around 37, but when I get it to 40 I loose the MoCa network.

Any thoughts on what to try now?
dlongnecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
mchief
Morey

Try one thing at a time. First SNR of 40 or 500 has nothing to do with network or MoCa.

Try to get your signal strength to 95. I'm also interested in how Tivo knows what your wifi signal strength is? Another CSR shooting from the hip.

Can you get Tivo hooked up to an ethernet connection to test VOD?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Comcast Xfinity video comes through the coax and has nothing to do with the network connection, other than requesting that the show play, pause, etc. So suggesting the wifi signal is weak or that you change to MoCA is silly.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
dlongnecker

Well, I agree I am getting the standard useless information from both the TIvo and Comcast CSR's, but some of it I had to do anyway.

I had to install MOCA if I wanted to get my mini to work as I don't have either net where the roamio is.

What seems weird is why the MOCA stops working if I put in a FAM-10 attenuator in front of the Roamio. I still get the channels, and the strength doesn't drop, but I can't get a MOCA connection. The FAM-6 seems to work, but all the strengths stay the same.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
mrizzo80

Since all your premiums went away after you replaced the cable card the first time, I would look into whether or not this is a problem with your account on Comcast's end. It sounds like your cable card is not getting provisioned for all the channels you pay for.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
celtic pride

I dont understand why you had to buy moca,I thought moca was built into the tivo roamio pro and all you had to do was go in the menu to turn it on?as for the cablecards not working they need to be paired properly by the cable provider to receive the premiumn channels. oh sorry i see your withcomcast ,i thought you were with verizon fios,I dont know know if comcast has moca built into their routers like verizon does!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
d_vail

If you put the attenuator behind the tivo pro, it is going to lower the signal for everything coming/going from that box, including the moca.

What you want to do is put the attenuator on the "in" port on the splitter for your home. If you have a cable modem, your cable into your home *should* first go to a 2-way splitter, one side going to the cable modem, and the other going to another splitter which goes to all your TVs. In this situation you would want to put the attenuator on the line going into the second splitter for the TVs. This would leave the line to cable modem untouched, and moca untouched while only lowering your incoming cable signal to the TVs.
d_vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
dlongnecker

MoCA not built in to Comcast Modems. Can't turn MoCA on on the Pro if it is using Wireless, so I needed a MoCA network.

In regards to paring -- yes I know it needs to be paired. I am on my 5th CableCard now, and have called the special 1-800 comcast cablecard number about 11 times now, with no good results.

The only thing that seems feasible to me now is that my signal is too "hot". Its funny because on the comcast panel coming into my house I have an amplifier. It was installed about 8 years ago because I wasn't getting some of my channels. I did unplug it during this testing to see if would make the signal not too "hot". It indeed bring down the "hotness", but in doing such, I lost my internet connection. My house cabling is such that I can't isolate drops as suggested.

My question, on one of the cable AMP's, if I simply unplug it from power like I did, is it the same not having an AMP, or is the signal really degraded. I'm thinking the test I did isn't the same as physically removing the AMP .. ?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
d_vail

You need to physically remove an amp. Usually when the power to the amp is off, nothing can travel through it.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
d_vail

After your amp, however there should still be a splitter going to the various TVs.. Unless the amp has many outputs

I would connect the incoming line with a barrel connector directly to the line for the modem, bypassing the amp completely, then log into your cable modem diagnostics screen from your computer usually 192.168.100.1 it should show your upstream and downstream signal levels without the amp in place. Once you have that info, you can find out if you still need the amp or not and if it can be replaced with a splitter instead.

Last edited by d_vail : 02-14-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
dlongnecker

Removed the amp and the attenuators. Signature strength at 85% and snr where tivo wants it. Still no premium channels.

When mt tivo reboots, during the process I get a message that says it can't fond CABLECARD//CP/AUTH or something like that