TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
ballisox

First time Tivo owner…having some problems

Just bought the Roamio...

I understand that a company simply cannot please everyone.

1. Audio Drops to a very low volume and rises after a few seconds. This happens on all channels. This doesn't happen all the time, but frequent enough to warrant a return.

2. Not all of the menu's are HD..is there a setting to change the menus that I'm missing?

3. Sometimes the roamio stops responding to remote control commands, batteries are fine.

4. Netflix and Youtube are slow clunky and probably the worst user interface(s) I've seen or used on any device…in the history of EVER.

5. HuluPlus, it works but man that interface is outdated and clunky

6. Advertisements…I'm paying for the service. No need for ads.

I have seen similar issues and complaints on other sites, but no real fixes. Other than shut up and wait . Is this a normal Tivo experience? I bought the 199.00 model and I am very glad I didn't spend the cash for the higher priced models.

I love the picture quality and audio quality of digital cable including pandora . Picture and audio are superior to my Home theater PC (eClaro II sound card, Infinity 4 Ceton card, ATI 6xxx series)

I'm still using to my Apple TV3 for Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go and Youtube and not using the Tivo as the all in one device. I really want that AIO box, maybe someday….
ballisox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

You really should have broken some of these out into sep erate threads if you really wanted solutions... If you were just looking to rant, then feel free to ignore my suggestions

1- what is your audio setup? Are you running through a receiver? Do you have any sound compression modes like 'nighttime mode' set. If you take the receiver out of the loop and use you tvs sound does it still happen? Or, is it happening when you are changing resolutions and your tv ramps up the volume when it re-syncs? (Set the tivo to only output 1080i to test) are you ota or cable? If cable, do you use a tuning adapter? Audio over hdmi, or are you using the breakout cables? Do the audio dropouts occur with recordings or just when changing channels on live tv? If it occurs with playing recordings is it reproducible?

2- there's only a few areas left with sd screens, primarily the settings area. Once you've got everything configured you'll never normally even go in there, and with updates every few months they've been slowly killing off the last few sd screens... What HD screens are you thinking you are missing?

3-another one that deserves its own thread... Not a common complaint on here. The roamio remotes can switch between using RF and IR. Which mode are you using? Have you eliminated sources of interference depending on which mode you are using? Under what conditions is it messing up? What steps make it work again? Have you rebooted the box? Have another tivo remote to try to see if it's the remote or the box? Have you tried other batteries?

4- Netflix and YouTube apps are using their latest, brand new user interfaces! They are rolling those interfaces out across all devices as we speak. I don't use the YouTube app much, but netflix seems plenty fast to me? In what way is it slow? How are you connecting your Tivo? Wireless/Ethernet/power line/etc. Is that connection a bottleneck? How fast is your internet service? Have you benchmarked your DNS server to see if you are using the fastest available to you? Some folks have claimed static IP's are faster than using dhcp.

5- Hulu's interface has always been wonky to me too, they just seem to want to do things differently.., not better, just different lol

6- I just bought a new smart/3d LG tv a few months ago for a good amount more than a Tivo+Lifetime service and it's got an ad somewhere in every one of the menus. Comcast's boxes always have ads in em, etc. It's pretty much par for the course at this point with consumer electronics, it seems.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisox View Post
6. Advertisements…I'm paying for the service. No need for ads.
When you buy a newspaper do you expect there to be no ads in it?

TiVo gets some of its' money to pay the bills by requiring people to pay a fee, but to keep that fee low, they also have ads so they get monies from other sources.

Last edited by replaytv : 02-14-2014 at 03:52 AM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
AdamNJ

what is your tivo software version? if you really just took it out of the box, it can take a few days until everything updates to the newest versions.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
ncfoster

1. The suggestions above seem reasonable as a first step. No clue otherwise. Seems a little unlikely to be Tivo-specific, though.

2. We all wish that they would just finish the job on the HD menus. It has been an unnecessarily slow process, which will hopefully eventually come to a conclusion. I can see why other things would be a higher priority, though.

3. In the first day or two that I had my Roamio, I had some of the non-responsive remote stuff. It eventually rebooted, and I have not had a problem since. I would chalk it up to a software update, but I cannot be sure.

4. Believe me, if you had used a Tivo Premiere, you would not be complaining about these interfaces. Anyhow, they do have room for improvement. Since the Roamio is much more powerful than the Premiere, hopefully they will continue to get refined. I will agree that my PS3 is better at these things, but the gap is narrowing quickly.

5. I have hardly used Hulu Plus, but I have always found the interface junky on anything I have tried.

6. Nobody wants ads. They are unlikely to go away. They are definitely not as bad as what I have seen on my friends' CableCo boxes, where they actually get in the way of using the device.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
TV_Tom122

I just bought my first TiVo (Roamio Plus) on Monday.

I have not noticed issues #1 or #3. I did notice #2, but setup screens are setup screens, I did not think much of it. Probably because the menu system is still better then my FIOS DVR.

#6 (Ads) does bother me too. I wish they would go away. Having said that, one of the reasons I looked at TiVo is that the ads on my FIOS box are even worse and more intrusive to where they get in the way of the guide and are realllly bad. Again while I don't like them, they are better on the TiVo then my previous option.
TV_Tom122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
lnardinelli6

I am having exactly the same problem with the basic Roamio I just purchased. Audio drops off then gets very loud. It sounds somewhat muddled compared with my DirecTV DVR. I'm taking it as this is the last day for a full refund.
lnardinelli6 is offline   Reply With Quote