TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
MeInDallas

Comcast To Buy Time Warner Cable

Looks like Comcast will announce tomorrow 2/13 a deal to buy Time Warner.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...eal-says-cnbc/

http://www.businessinsider.com/comca...r-cable-2014-2
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
JosephB

Somewhere John Malone is using language that cannot be used on his cable systems

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
celtic pride

WOW! looks like charter screwed up! I wonder if the FCC allows this?,If they do then i would think DIRECTV and DISH may try to merge also.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Wow. I simply cannot see this getting through the FTC. (not typo, I didn't mean FCC)

Last edited by LoadStar : 02-12-2014 at 09:50 PM.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
JosephB

The FCC will rake them over the coals, but the Supreme Court struck down the previous cable sub ownership cap that was in place (~30% of the market was the previous cap)

Cable mergers are interesting because cable companies don't compete. This will impact competition by absolutely zero. However, Comcast owning NBCUniversal makes it a little different.

Even if this goes through (and Comcast is supposedly willing to sell 3 million subscribers) it doesn't necessarily mean anything for the satellite companies, since they actually do compete with each other. This is more like SBC and BellSouth merging to become AT&T, and less like AT&T trying to buy T-Mobile.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm betting this goes about like the failed AT&T/T-Mo tie-up.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
WO312

Am I correct in thinking that Comcast doesn't put the copy flag on aggressively like TWC (basically everything). If so, I hope this goes through.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
MeInDallas

I'm wondering does Comcast use tuning adapters
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that Comcast doesn't put the copy flag on aggressively like TWC (basically everything). If so, I hope this goes through.
Except, of course, eastern NC or all of it could be the part of TWC they have to divest themselves of to keep the rest and who knows who they'd sell to.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
ciscokid

My son, just outside Philly had Comcast and they used an ordinary Motorola box up there.
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm betting this goes about like the failed AT&T/T-Mo tie-up.
Totally different dynamic. TWC/Comcast don't compete. AT&T/T-Mobile eliminated a competitor in the marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
They do not. However, Don't jump up and down yet. They may not reconfigure all their systems. This could easily be the kind of thing that falls through the cracks and remains configured as is after systems are merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
According to a Google search, they do.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Except, of course, eastern NC or all of it could be the part of TWC they have to divest themselves of to keep the rest and who knows who they'd sell to.
I am thinking a lot of the small disjointed markets will get split up and sold.

For example in Alabama, Time Warner has a few systems in smaller towns that are not part of one of their "regions". Also, Comcast has a few smaller systems as well. Charter is the dominant cable company in the big cities in Alabama so I would expect Charter to try to pick off those types of systems.

Areas where TWC has a huge presence I don't see getting split up.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
tarheelblue32

Comcast just totally pwned Charter. I can't help but wonder how it feels for Charter to be on the receiving end for a change.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Just when the word was that Apple is making a deal with Time Warner for an Apple TV and content.
http://techland.time.com/2014/02/12/...t-in-well-see/

HEAD FAKE!

We also were talking to Google!

Thanks for the lunches!
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 AM   #15
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Unlikely much hardware at the local level will change would be my guess. It's expensive to do those kinds of upgrades.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #16
Inundated
Face For Radio

Yeah, it's not like "oh, Comcast does it this way, they'll automatically change what TWC does when they take over".

TWC basically owns all the systems around here, and Comcast basically owns Western PA. The new combined company would have a footprint stretching from just outside Toledo to past Altoona, with very few gaps.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #17
Inundated
Face For Radio

As far as heat from Washington goes, here's the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
However, Comcast owning NBCUniversal makes it a little different.
The Comcast/NBCUniversal deal took what, about 2 years and change to clear? Comcast got all kinds of government flack. I can't imagine this would be any easier, and the various government agencies will extract whatever concessions they can get.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
The Comcast/NBCUniversal deal took what, about 2 years and change to clear? Comcast got all kinds of government flack. I can't imagine this would be any easier, and the various government agencies will extract whatever concessions they can get.
Yes, like cushy private-sector jobs for the folks on the government side six months after the deal closes.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #19
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
TWC basically owns all the systems around here, and Comcast basically owns Western PA. The new combined company would have a footprint stretching from just outside Toledo to past Altoona, with very few gaps.
Comcast owns South Western PA, but I wouldn't say Western PA. Comcast has Pittsburgh and everything south of it. Starting at the nothern fringes of Pittsburgh suburbs, Armstrong Cable takes over and they service most of the western PA area between north Pittsburgh and the Erie metro area. TWC serves Erie.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
atmuscarella

As long as it doesn't reduce choice for consumers I really don't care, who is really at risk with a large combined Comcast/TWC are the content producers and various smaller cable channels. The combined company would have something north of 30 million subs giving Comcast the ability to destroy some smaller cable channels financially if they dropped them.

In any event lots of NY state is TWC, I am about 3/4 mile past the end of their line and would love the FCC to mandate extending coverage as part of the deal (don't care about cable one way or the other but would really love access to their high speed Internet). Might force Frontier DSL to upgrade their back-end equipment so they could actually maintain their DSL speeds during the afternoon/evening, in my area speeds drop from a solid 6Mbps in the morning to 1-1.5Mbps in the evening, which pretty much makes streaming useless.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #21
jcthorne

I don't think asking Comcast to divest NBCUniversal would be out of the question for this to go through.

On the Equipment end, Comcast took over the TWC (Motorola) network here in Houston and really still operates the same system although they have done some upgrades over the years. The exact opposite is true in Dallas which was Comcast and was taken over by TWC and still operates the same SA network. Looks like nearly all of Texas will be Comcast with a smattering of small independants and Charter in outlying areas.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I don't think asking Comcast to divest NBCUniversal would be out of the question for this to go through.
Comcast will never agree to that. They are willing to sell 3 million subscribers and agree to some kind of net neutrality standard but otherwise they want to avoid any consent decrees. NBC is the crown jewel of Comcast's empire, and owning that content is one of the key parts of how they are hedging against the potential of cord cutting. They would abandon the TWC deal before they split off NBCUniversal.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
sbiller

Statement from Comcast on the deal.

http://www.cmcsa.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=825483

I think this would be an overall positive for TiVo. Comcast has a much better relationship with TiVo than TWC.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
jrtroo
User

Everyone is getting excited that Comcast policies are going to be implemented in TWC areas. Folks, in mergers often certain leaders keep their roles during and after the transition, and thus the TWC policies could float in the other direction- flags and TAs for all.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #25
JosephB

It will take a long time for anything to happen, and it won't be sudden.

Obviously X1 will be the platform for their set tops and TWC's ODN/Navigator stuff is dead. Things like CCI bytes and TAs and whatnot will probably never be universally set between different markets and regions. It's just something that is situational based (TAs/SDV based on bandwidth of a given plant) or so obscure that no one will notice or care to put the effort into changing (CCI bytes)

Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
Grakthis

This is kinda messed up for me... I had Insight, which just finished getting merged together into TWC... just in time for Comcast to buy up TWC? So, my third cable company in 3 years? Awesome.

Imagine how the guys on the ground feel about it.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #27
hfcsyrup

doesnt time warner also have some control over brighthouse? like when a channel goes out on twc it goes out on bh
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #28
JosephB

Bright House systems were formerly under the control of Time Warner Cable until the Newhouse family, who owns Bright House and owned a portion of those systems when they were TWC, decided they wanted to split them off. They are owned separately of TWC, but Bright House outsources several things to Time Warner such as ISP functions for Road Runner, engineering support (meaning set top box software and things like the CCI byte settings), and programming negotiation.

Presumably Bright House will have to figure out some other kind of arrangement now.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I think this would be an overall positive for TiVo. Comcast has a much better relationship with TiVo than TWC.
I agree. I think TWCs use of the CCI byte on every channel was intentional and Comcast might reverse that because of their relationship with TiVo. Also all those people in TWC areas may gain access to Xfinity.

Another positive for TiVo is that Comcast is commited to the X1 and IIRC Pace showed a prototype of an X1 running TiVo software, so it's possible they could start offering TiVo as an option again.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #30
tarheelblue32

If the regulators allows this to go through, they better demand that Comcast agree to net neutrality, no data caps on broadband internet, and commitment to the current and future universal security standard (CableCard, AllVid) for at least the next 10 years. Anything less than that would be completely unacceptable.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote