TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
franklasvegas

Question on MoCA - Roamio & Mini

Hello All:

Late January upgraded to Roamio Pro & (1) TiVo Mini. Initially ran it with a powerline and was doing fine - then one of the powerline adapters died . Instead of replacing the powerline, I ordered a MoCA adapter from TiVo since cheaper than a higher speed powerline.

Prior to even receiving the Roamio & Mini, I had Cox come out regarding the POE filters. He installed one at the point of the tuning adapter but insisted that the way my complex is configured it is not need anywhere else and stated "we use MoCA for our whole house DVR setup so I know you don't need it"...

So MoCA is up and running - no drama there at all!!! Recorded shows from the Roamio stream great as does NetFlix. When I view TV on the Mini I sometimes get slight stuttering, pixilation, and sound cut out for a few seconds - often enough that it make me wonder - since it is only when viewing TV would not having a POE filter at the entry point to unit possibly be the cause?

If not, any ideas what might cause it?

Thanks!!!
franklasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
jwbelcher

Maybe your getting noise from other MoCA setups in the complex. I don't know if the POE filter filters both directions, but would recommend moving the one on the TA. Having the POE filter on the TA isn't doing you anything.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
jwbelcher

btw, security is the other advantage to having the POE at the entry point. It prevents anyone else from joining your MoCA network. If you don't have a password, another Mini could join your network from another apartment pretty easily.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
franklasvegas

The Cox technician claims the condo complex is setup with "direct runs to each unit" - nothing shared. There is a huge cable room down in the garage with more cable wires than you would believe so I figured he knew what he was talking about but assuming can get you in trouble!

I also have a panel in my master walk-in closest that is the entry point (I believe but not sure) which is the main feed into the condo and there are 2 splitters in there.

Thank you for your responses.
franklasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
jwbelcher

I guess it depends how its split in that cable room. If they have some type of filter on each line, I'd assume its OK. At some point all those runs tie together and if there's no filtering, it could be a problem. I'd agree, given the MoCA adoption, the Cox guy needs to know this stuff in large complexes. Its probably not an issue, but what else could be causing your mini issues?

I have no issues with my mini, but I segmented my MoCA network. I connected a MoCA adapter into my router and to the splitter that runs out to the bedrooms. The Roamio has the only feed with a cable signal and it connects back to the router / internet via Ethernet. This eliminated a need for a POE filter, since the MoCA is not connected to my cable provider.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #6
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
btw, security is the other advantage to having the POE at the entry point. It prevents anyone else from joining your MoCA network. If you don't have a password, another Mini could join your network from another apartment pretty easily.
Wouldn't the Mini have to be on the same TiVo account to join the other network?
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
jwbelcher

Yea, your probably right that Tivo's DRM scheme is going to prevent it. I guess the primary risk would be allowing others to access your LAN if there's no pass to join the MoCA network.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Wouldn't the Mini have to be on the same TiVo account to join the other network?
Yes, the security issue is that when you bridge your home network into the coax line with the standard setup, anyone with a MOCA adapter could be on your network if they coax connections are close to each other especially in an apartment situation. It is the same situation as running your wireless without a password and the Moca poe filter blocks the physical outside access and also acts as a reflector which can in some cases improve your own internal dwelling Moca network performance.

The general steps for using the poe adapter in setting up a new Moca network is to install the gateway and adapter(s), make sure they work then install the poe filter and reconfirm that everything continues to work.

It's not the Tivo security that is the issue, it's the possibility of open access to your home network with the ability for someone to have open access to other devices like your PC and any other device on your home network. . Now if you want there is additional security in the Moca adapter gateway were you can enable encryption were each Moca adapter must have matching encryption keys but they don't default to that configuration unless for example, you use the Actiontec configuration utility (required you to hook up a PC directly to the adapter and switch the config switch on the adapter).

Kind of side story but I know a grocery store in my area that has a fancy color laser printer on there internal store network were while they had a secured wireless password to access it, they missed the fact that by default, the printer also broadcasted it's services separately on a second open wifi network of it's own which no one noticed when they set it up intially. I got called in one afternoon (I'm a data networking troubleshooting contractor) when someone with a notebook or tablet simply attached to the printer's open wifi and started to print a few hundred of thousands "adult" pictures which embarrassed them not to mention used up a couple hundred dollars worth of laser color toner before they turned it off! One must be careful in this connected networked age!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote