TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
TV_Tom122

Roamio and streaming to different subnet problem

I know everything says that the TiVo (and built in Stream) have to be on the same subnet as the iOS device. I understand why that is said too. Due to the Bonjour discovery process it goes much easier if everything is on the same subnet (broadcasts don't normally get passed between subnets). This is similar to Airplay in that regards.

The thing is that while it is easier, it is technically not required for Bonjour discovery to work. With the proper routers you can relay mDNS/Bonjour (5353) across subnets just fine. I have a MOCA subnet (FIOS), a wired subnet, and a wireless subnet. With the traffic designated appropriately. This has been working just fine for years and I have Airplay working across subnets just fine by using mDNS relay.

I just got a new Roamio Plus and can not get it to stream between my wired and wireless network. The Roamio is on the wired subnet and I have a Ipad on the wireless subnet. mDNS is set up just fine. Discovery works. The iOS app can see and connect to the TiVo just fine. I can view the guide, my shows, start recordings, etc just fine from the Ipad app. My Ipad can find the built in Stream. When, in the app, I go to sys info, I can see the details on the Stream and it all looks good. I can go to Full Sys Info and it looks good. So while I can find/see the Stream as well and find/control the DVR, I can not complete the Streaming Setup and actually stream/download from the Roamio to the Ipad. As a note, if I disable mDNS relay, sure enough, the app can not fine the Stream or DVR at all (as expected) and I get the appropriate error when the app starts up period. So again the discovery is obviously working.

When I try to stream or complete the streaming setup I get the following error:

"Network Problem: streaming device to DVR. The streaming device cannot contact the DVR."

Now elsewhere in the setup process, "streaming device" seems to refer to the Stream. If so, the error makes no since since the Stream is integrated into the Roamio. But anyways for some reason even though everything can see each other, it will not stream. I have checked logs as well as a packet monitor and I can see that the Stream IP address connects to and communicates with the Ipad IP address. As far as I can tell the iOS app makes some assumptions (and is coded) that everything is on the same subnet such that even if the discovery works and everything can see each other, actual streaming still fails.

In addition to mDNS relay (which is sufficient for Bonjour and Airplay for example) I have looked into relaying the old Beacon broadcast port 2190 (I saw that pop up in the logs once) as well as enabling various Multicast and IGMP options on my router. Obviously none of that was sufficient.

I have done some research and can't fine that anyone has ever been able to make this work for the TiVo, but wanted to ask it again and see if anyone has any ideas.

One other note, if I do put the wired TiVo on the wireless subnet (still wired), of course streaming works just fine so my hardware is fine. Obviously that would be an easy fix from my end, but I really don't want all the TiVo/Mini/Netflix HD traffic on that part of my network. It needs to stay where it belongs and only the streaming should take up any wireless subnet bandwidth. My guess is it is a software issue somewhere.

Last edited by TV_Tom122 : 02-12-2014 at 01:43 PM.
TV_Tom122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
pautler

I could be *totally* wrong, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the software was intentionally crippled to prevent streaming to a different subnet due to copyright concerns and restrictions. In other words, the goal was to prevent people from streaming content to places outside of their home.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
anthonymoody

Strange that putting them on the same subnet then moving it back didn't work. I had a similar problem getting a TiVo mini to see my Roamio - too many switches in my network apparently. When I removed the switch and went direct, the mini saw the Roamio. I then put the switch back in the chain and the mini continues to work. Sorry can't be more help. Much of your post was Greek to me
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

If you have different subnets why not just put the Tivos on there own and everything else on the other(s)?

That's what I do, I just give the Tivo network access to the Internet and on my Kmttg PC, I have two network cards in it, one for my Tivo network and the other for the rest of my network.

So far I haven't had any issues but I started with idea to give my TiVo's their own network so everything is on the same thing, I have a NAS that has created a couple issue when trying to get to it from a different subnet but because it uses samba shares, I don't have any problem port forwarding to it.

Now with that as I see your possible issue, your Apple isn't on the TiVo subnet, I don't have Stream since I don't have any apple devices to stream to them so I have no idea.

But.... Does your router or switch support VPN tunneling? If you do, can you load a VPN client on the Apple and VPN into your Tivo subnet?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Also might check and see how many in addresses the Roamio is using, I swear I saw some were that someone noticed that their Plus or PRO was sometimes using two address via dhcp, turned out the only time e they saw it with two addresses was when they were using stream, the built in stream pulled a address when it was used and released it after it was done.

Apparently there are three mac addresses on the back of the pro/plus, one for the ethernet/Moca, one for wireless and the other was speculated to be for the Stream. If that is the case the Stream while in the same circuit board, doesn't share the common ethernet/Moca and wireless interfaces but has its own perhaps?

Don't hold me to that, I can't recall if I saw that here or over on TiVo's forums.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote