TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
SnakeEyes

"TiVo DVR does not support out-of-home streaming" iOS APP

I set up my TiVo for streaming in the app on Sunday with my new Roamio and tested it out while away later that day and it worked. Now tonight while away from home I'm getting this error message. I'm able to connect to my home network in other ways so I know the network isn't down. Is anyone else experiencing it or has experienced similar and knows why?

SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

i dont know how the error message reads when it happens, but you cant stream items out of home that have the no-copy bit set. they will stream in-home, but not out of home.

do you have one of the really restrictive cable co's?

-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
SnakeEyes

No i don't.

Was trying out multiple channels that i didnt have a problem with when i tested before

SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
jmckinn27

Same problem for me

Hey snakeeyes did you ever figure this out? I get the following when out of home and can never get it to work when setting up at home prior to going off my local network.

jmckinn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
cmshep222

Dumb questions. Do you have a Roamio Plus or Pro? Do you have a Basic (with an addtional Stream)?

If yes, are you trying to Stream over cellular data? (that won't work)

cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
jeremymc7

So is there actually a specific reason the iOS app doesn't support live streaming over cell.

jeremymc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymc7 View Post
So is there actually a specific reason the iOS app doesn't support live streaming over cell.
Because Apple requires an aggressive adaptive bitrate that tivo has not implemented as of yet.

With a cell connection you can start a download and begin to watch as soon as enough buffer is available.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
jeremymc7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Because Apple requires an aggressive adaptive bitrate that tivo has not implemented as of yet.

With a cell connection you can start a download and begin to watch as soon as enough buffer is available.
I guess it makes since. Just weird there are sooooo many other stream and live streaming video apps on iOS. Is TiVo just THAT far behind the curve.

Also seemed odd that Apple doesn't and have streaming but does download, where Android is just the opposite.

jeremymc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo is coming out with a completely redesigned android app - I wonder if they will enable download with that.

As for the IOS app, they have improved the streaming consistently since release. I understand IOS has set a pretty high bar, hopefully it won't be too long.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremymc7 View Post
I guess it makes since. Just weird there are sooooo many other stream and live streaming video apps on iOS. Is TiVo just THAT far behind the curve.

Also seemed odd that Apple doesn't and have streaming but does download, where Android is just the opposite.
To support the sort of adaptive bit rate management that Apple requires likely requires some changes to how they run the MPEG-4 encoder in the Stream. We know there is an update coming eventually to enable MPEG-4 input into the Stream, so perhaps they are doing both at the same time.

Naaah...what am I saying? This is TiVo. They'll probably do the two enhancements a year or two apart.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
joewom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
To support the sort of adaptive bit rate management that Apple requires likely requires some changes to how they run the MPEG-4 encoder in the Stream. We know there is an update coming eventually to enable MPEG-4 input into the Stream, so perhaps they are doing both at the same time.

Naaah...what am I saying? This is TiVo. They'll probably do the two enhancements a year or two apart.
The last IOS app allows streaming over cell. You have to enable it every time though in the debug menu. And I get a perfect picture with it.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewom View Post
The last IOS app allows streaming over cell. You have to enable it every time though in the debug menu. And I get a perfect picture with it.
Changing the settings in the debug menu provides me no additional functionality... Can you describe the exact process you follow to get it to work?

By the way that does show they are working on the functionality!

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #13
joewom

[quote=bradleys;10404868]Changing the settings in the debug menu provides me no additional functionality... Can you describe the exact process you follow to get it to work?

By the way that does show they are working on the functionality! [/QUOTE

Settings, debug settings, sensitive settings, turn on enable cell streaming.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
wintergreen

Out of Home Streaming Not Working

I upgraded to the new Roamio around Christmas, it is a plus and I've yet to get out of home streaming to work. Everything works fine in the house, but outside the house I get the standard Can't Connect to Streaming Device Error. I've tried everything, resetting my Linksys EA4500, ran new cable connecting the Tivo direct to the 4500, bypassing the switch, even went as far as putting the TIVO in the DMZ yet I can't get it to stream. Once since December I was able to download via cell on an iphone, but since I get the immediate error. I'm running the latest Feb release software, but that has not helped either. Thinking about changing out the router but before I do I called TIVO today and they were not much help, just said they would swap it out for me if I wanted....so taking to the forum - do you think it is the Tivo? Any other ideas...do you think it could be the router? Oh, my provider is Charter in Massachusetts.

wintergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

[quote=joewom;10405001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Changing the settings in the debug menu provides me no additional functionality... Can you describe the exact process you follow to get it to work?

By the way that does show they are working on the functionality! [/QUOTE

Settings, debug settings, sensitive settings, turn on enable cell streaming.
Yeah, nothing...

I got it to work... I changed the settings and then re-ran streaming setup. Works great!

I will miss it when it is gone - but love to see them working on it!

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 02-15-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:54 AM   #16
amandagal

Mine is even weirder. I can stream sometimes. For example, I was just streaming programs. I streamed about 3 30 minute programs on the same network (all actually the same show) and for the next one, when I went to "watch" it says, "your tivo dvr does not support out of home streaming." It did this last night and the night before too.

My only guess is my Internet provider is throttling me. It goes away in a few hours and I can stream again.

amandagal is offline   Reply With Quote