Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 AM   #31
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Oh, good. A thread about the ads. Surprised no one else has started one before now.

Clever...
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #32
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

It does seem wrong that most people originally bought TiVo's to fast forward though commercials and now, TiVo's offer their own commercials that can't be avoided.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #33
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Be glad that TiVo doesn't run a 10 second video spot ad before playing a recorded show after you select it.

Wait, I better be quiet. I don't want to give TiVo any ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #34
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
It does seem wrong that most people originally bought TiVo's to fast forward though commercials and now, TiVo's offer their own commercials that can't be avoided.
It's been part of TiVo's plans from day one. What they were pushing to investors was targeted advertising (learn what the customer want from the shows the customer like). Revenue was supposed to be a tripod - subscriptions, targeted advertising, anonymized customer statistics. In all their own advertising of TiVos. they have never included avoiding commercials as a reason to buy a TiVo. There's been no change in TiVo's philosophy.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #35
TScottTX

TiVo gave us the 30 second skip to zip through ads, how about giving us a setting to turn off their own ads?
TScottTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #36
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TScottTX View Post
TiVo gave us the 30 second skip to zip through ads, how about giving us a setting to turn off their own ads?
Because you are not forced to watch any TiVo ad, try a website that streams a news story, you (many times) are forced to watch a 10 or 15 sec ad. with TiVo when you go to watch a program that you recorded you see NO TiVo ads when the program starts and no ads before it starts, (not talking about pause). I use TiVo to watch what I recorded, if there are ads getting to the program I want, so what, as long as it takes me no longer to get to my program. The other issue is that TiVo is not making gobs of money so if the other option is no TiVo ads and TiVo goes out of business, not a better solution IMHO. I pay for a newspaper and it is full of ads, so what TiVo is doing is not so unusual. If I demanded that my newspaper had no ads I would not get any newspaper, or have to pay a lot more for the newspaper.
I purchased an Amazon Kindel for less money that has ads when the Kindel is off, do I care, no and I saved some money, no ads when I turn the Kindel on and start to read. To me this is a good trade-off.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #37
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarson83 View Post
I don't think that math necessarily works. Tivo probably loses a lot of potential customers with their high pricing.
It's not profitable to go after every consumer as there is no margin. If what you were saying were true Apple would have come out with a lower margin iPhone as it's definitely losing a lot of potential customer with their high pricing. Same with the iPad.

Also note that when you buy a TiVo from retailors such as BestBuy or Amazon.com (to save $5) TiVo only gets the wholesale price. They already lose money on their hardware as it's subsidized but they lose even more from these retail sales. Factor in yearly costs of employee compensation, R&D costs, manufacturing, etc. and you are left with a company that only recently starting making any money after 15 years!

Probably doesn't help much that there is a large market for older hardware with lifetime subscriptions which prevents new TiVo sales.

TiVo loses sales due to the cable companies making sure that you have to be very technical and patient person to hook up a 3rd party DVR. While I'd recommend a TiVo Roamio with mini's to my friends there is NO WAY they could deal with CAbleCard pairing and Tuning Adapters. Seriously?

And unfortunately that really leaves techie guys as TiVo's core base who tend to be very... how should I put this ...CHEAP.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #38
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
What do you mean by stating "You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have."?
I live a block away from a Ronald McDonalds house and every weekend I see kids in my local Pizzeria with scarves on their head to hide the effects of their chemo treatments. Yet I never see these kids complain. They always seem so happy which is I guess the amazing part of being a kid.

That's a problem worth complaining about. Ads in TiVo? You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have.

That's what I meant. We all forget to NOT sweat the small stuff and things like that just reinforce that. YMMV.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #39
CloudAtlas

TiVo Loses Less Money Than Predicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgat View Post
Yup, as my OP says, the insult is that they continue with exorbitant pricing on top of ads (e.g., charging a service fee for a Mini).

I've never liked the ads Tivo pushes. But I've put up with them. I've reached my limit when the exorbitant cost of Roamio with a Mini becomes what Tivo is currently asking AND the box is running ads that popup when you hit pause (as an example). It's gone too far.

I could live with a cycling ad on the Central page, and I actually like having a "page" (accessible from Tivo Central) where I can see/browse ads. This is a demarcated area where I can choose to engage with ads at my choosing, yet the ads don't insert themselves anywhere. But having ads popup (e.g., when I hit pause) is unacceptable. I'm not going to pay the exorbitant price Tivo charges if they are also running ads like this. I've been a huge fan of Tivo for a long time. It's sad to see them degrade like this. Probably the beginning of the end of the PVR.
You post is just so silly in light of the facts:

TiVo Loses Less Money Than Predicted

The DVR pioneer records a $10.3 million loss on $82.6 million in revenue while adding an impressive number of subscribers.

TiVo reported a net loss of $10.3 million in its fiscal third quarter on service and technology revenue of $61.8 million, beating the expectations of analysts on the bottom line, though not on the top line.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

TiVo Revenue Rises 33 Percent

TiVo CEO Tom Rogers: Tech's Major Players Have Let TV Down
Overall, revenue rose to $82.6 million in the quarter from $67.8 million a year ago.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #40
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
And unfortunately that really leaves techie guys as TiVo's core base who tend to be very... how should I put this ...CHEAP SMART.
FTFY.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #41
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Oh, good. A thread about the ads. Surprised no one else has started one before now.
honestly hadnt noticed them. I watch TV on the tivo 99% of the time and no ads are on my screen. I spend 1 % of the time scheduling recordings and changing channels.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #42
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

As of others have said, I barely notice the ads. It's better than commercials.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #43
HarperVision

Drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, he attempts to hop out to survive.......Put a frog in a pot of cold water and slowly bring it to a boil and he never attempts to hop out and thus, dies.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #44
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, he attempts to hop out to survive.......Put a frog in a pot of cold water and slowly bring it to a boil and he never attempts to hop out and thus, dies.
And this has what to do with the OP misplaced (my option) concern about TiVo pushing ADs

Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #45
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
And this has what to do with the OP misplaced (my option) concern about TiVo pushing ADs
It seems that he is just saying that if you roll out ads in the interface in a slow enough fashion, eventually there become too many, but most people won't notice/care.

I would love to see them do something like let people pay an extra amount to disable ads, but I am guessing that their concerns include:

a) once they start changing the interface from a universal experience to something with any variation, it will make support more costly; and

b) if there is a way to disable the ads by paying, someone will likely find a way to hack it and hide the ads without paying.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #46
HarperVision

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
It seems that he is just saying that if you roll out ads in the interface in a slow enough fashion, eventually there become too many, but most people won't notice/care....
Exactly, amongst other things us modern sheeple are getting "accustomed" to.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #47
ej42137

Quote:
You obviously have experience with neither frogs nor boiling water. When dropped into boiling water frogs will usually quickly die in the water; if they do escape they die in a few minutes from their burns. On the other hand, slowly heated frogs become frantic as the water becomes uncomfortable; if they are able to escape at that point they survive, if not they eventually become lethargic and then expire.

Amphibian behavior is a poor model for TiVo problem resolution.
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #48
HarperVision

Well I must not then!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #49
ilkevinli

You created an account to post that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
You obviously have experience with neither frogs nor boiling water. When dropped into boiling water frogs will usually quickly die in the water; if they do escape they die in a few minutes from their burns. On the other hand, slowly heated frogs become frantic as the water becomes uncomfortable; if they are able to escape at that point they survive, if not they eventually become lethargic and then expire.

Amphibian behavior is a poor model for TiVo problem resolution.

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #50
talkdj

I made a living thanks to advertising so I might not be the right person to comment on this topic. But, I do wish that Tivo/Major Networks would bring back the "Thumb" insert on shows being promoted. I notice it every once in a while (The Black List) but always liked the ability to use that feature.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #51
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkdj View Post
But, I do wish that Tivo/Major Networks would bring back the "Thumb" insert on shows being promoted. I notice it every once in a while (The Black List) but always liked the ability to use that feature.
I like this feature as well. Back when it was introduced, I set many a program to record that way. It's too bad the networks don't want to pay participate any longer.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #52
tivohaydon

What I don't get is why people keep defending the ads.

Things like (yeah, they're emphasized and not actual quotes):
"Don't complain about anything less serious than cancer!"
"TiVo's ads suck less than Hulu's ads!"
"Ads are making the TiVo service NEARLY FREE!"
"They're really easy to avoid. Just watch TV with a scarf over your eyes!"

I've never seen anyone point out a benefit to having the ads in TiVo and they sure piss a lot of people off by doing it. TiVo doesn't make any real money on them so... why piss people off?

I'm running Windows Media Center until it dies. However my father (who I recently set up TiVo for) called me and asked me, "What's going on with the ads?" And I just had to remind him that I told him beforehand and just said, "TiVo sucks that way, sorry."
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #53
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post

I've never seen anyone point out a benefit to having the ads in TiVo and they sure piss a lot of people off by doing it. TiVo doesn't make any real money on them so... why piss people off?

I'm running Windows Media Center until it dies. However my father (who I recently set up TiVo for) called me and asked me, "What's going on with the ads?" And I just had to remind him that I told him beforehand and just said, "TiVo sucks that way, sorry."
I agree, the ads are getting out of hand on the TiVo. As I said before, the orginal reason for the Tivo was to escape the ads back when hard drives were less than 100mb and storage of TV shows weren't a big thing.

I tried Hulu+ but cancelled it due to commercials, why pay a premium price to get commercials? I would go back to a paid Hulu account if they removed the commercials, I use Kmttg to pull shows off the Tivo, strip the commercials and put them back on the TiVo!

I hate commercials esp when the commercial breaks get longer and the tv shows get shorter, it's rather sad when you take the commercials out of a hour long TV show and have a 40 minute (if not less!) show as a result. I love sci-fi but can't stand the sci-fi channel due to the five minute commercial breaks.

If commercials really worked we would all be using Tide, be driving the newest model car, be completely in shape and be eating out at restaurants 3 times a day not to mention every lady would be totally physically satisfied by her husband just to mention a few.

Might also mention my local cable company does something when they edit in local commercials, it totally screws up TiVo's fast forward and when you resume a fast forward, it drops you into the show were you have to back it up to get to the part were it resumed from the commercial break, that makes me mad as hell because their dvr box isn't effected by such, only TiVo's !
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #54
ncfoster

I like a clean ad-free interface as much as the next guy, but I think comparing Tivo ads to Hulu Plus ads is a huge stretch.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #55
atmuscarella

Quote:
Funny I watched at least 5 hours of recorded TV yesterday and I can not remember any TiVo ads other than I know there were some in the info bar in the HD Menu (still don't remember noticing them as I don't pay any attention to the info bar stuff) and also were likely some when I paused a show, so I wouldn't say I am defending TiVo ads more like defending that they should/could be irrelevant to a persons viewing experience.

Unless you lock yourself in a sealed padded cell ads/marketing are/is everywhere and are necessary for our economic system to function (capitalism). The concept that anything/everything you buy/pay for should be ad/marketing free is laughable.

You can get all worked up over it and have a stroke or you can figure out how to avoid the worst of it (hint buy a TiVo/DVR) and live with the rest by basically learning to ignore the ones that are of no value to you. So while I have no interest in defending any particular type of ad/marketing I will defend ads/marketing in general as necessary.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #56
MScottC

Quote:

The benefit of the ads is quite simple, it subsidizes the cost of the the device and the service to keep the device working. Quite frankly, I've never once felt slowed down, or felt like I've had time taken away from me without my consent by a TiVo ad. Compare it to the time I've saved by using the TiVo to skip commercials, and all the other benefits that TiVo provides to me, I am coming out way ahead. There are far worse ads all over the place in modern society. Half the time I click on a link to a video on the web, and ad pops up and I can't get by them for at least a few seconds and in many cases I have to sit through the entire ad. Much of our clothing has some large corporate logo on it. Almost all of our mass transit is plastered with ads. Our city streets, roads and highways are littered with billboards. When I buy a new computer, it's loaded with advertising based software. I can go on and on. Society has deemed it acceptable that corporations can assist us in our desire to get things for less money by subsidizing costs in exchange for allowing them an advertisement to reach our eyeballs. Quite frankly, TiVo does it in a way that is not so awful.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #57
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Funny I watched at least 5 hours of recorded TV yesterday and I can not remember any TiVo ads other than I know there were some in the info bar in the HD Menu (still don't remember noticing them as I don't pay any attention to the info bar stuff) and also were likely some when I paused a show, so I wouldn't say I am defending TiVo ads more like defending that they should/could be irrelevant to a persons viewing experience.
I'm with you, unless I pause a show and one of those ads pops up in the progress bar, I don't really notice any other ads.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #58
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
I'm with you, unless I pause a show and one of those ads pops up in the progress bar, I don't really notice any other ads.
Same here...not even CLOSE to a big deal for me...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #59
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

IMO, the major benefit of the ads is indirect: it convinces cable company managers that there are additional revenue benefits going forward if they switch over to using TiVo as their company's DVR.

TiVo's long-term survival depends on being adopted by cable companies.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #60
lessd

Quote:

If TiVo was making money like Apple then a point about ADs may have some validity, but if the ADs now on the TiVo gives TiVo more staying power and they don't interfere with my watching a recorded show I don't understand your fuss about them, if you have say HBO that one pays for you still get ADs before most movies/shows, the ADs are for other HBO shows but they are still ADs and without a DVR you have to watch them. The TiVo ADs are the most unobtrusive ADs system I have seen, like highway billboards, one can still drive and not look at the billboards. You pay for your newspaper and get tons of ADs so the pay and get no ADs is not that common, get use to it.

Last edited by lessd : 02-17-2014 at 03:19 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote