TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
rgat

Roamio is so over-priced (pushing ads is too much)

I'm okay with a high-priced item. I've been a Tivo subscriber for well over a decade now. But now that Tivo is pumping ads thru the interface and continuing to charge exorbitant fees for not only the primary box but also the Mini, it has gone way too far.

Having to pay a service fee for a Mini and also having to put up with ads in the interface is disgraceful on Tivo's part.

Even Amazon gives people the option of buying without adds. Tivo has really sunk to a low here.
rgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
WRX09MD

Im not cool with all of the ads either.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
c133roamioerrors

A monopoly has been created and I blame the cable providers. Like most people, I started recording with a vcr and when Tivo was available, I opted for a Hard drive DVR. The programming was provided by the cable company along with the content so there was no monthly fee. When my cable provider, Comcast went 100% digital the programming went away. The choice then became a Comcast DVR or a Tivo. The DVRs provided by Comcast has insufficient space for a user who wants to record a lot. A few HD sporting events eat up most of the storage. The only true option is a higher end Tivo and there is no real competition.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgat View Post
I'm okay with a high-priced item. I've been a Tivo subscriber for well over a decade now. But now that Tivo is pumping ads thru the interface and continuing to charge exorbitant fees for not only the primary box but also the Mini, it has gone way too far.

Having to pay a service fee for a Mini and also having to put up with ads in the interface is disgraceful on Tivo's part.

Even Amazon gives people the option of buying without adds. Tivo has really sunk to a low here.
TiVo can only be charging exorbitant fees if another less expensive option existed, I don't see one for me (some PC DVRs may be less expensive but too much work for me). You must think of any TiVo DVR or Mini as a package, for a Mini it is $99 + $150 for lifetime or a monthly option if needed, TiVo could have put out the Mini at $250 retail but then would have a much bigger expense at the retail level as the discount to most retail outlets is about 30% to 40%, a discount TiVo does not have to give for the service part by not bundling the two together. Think the TiVo price is too high, don't purchase. note: Apple makes tones of money and TiVo has a loss so you should be complaining about the Apple pricing.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
aristoBrat

When I bought my first TiVo in 2001, the Lifetime Service "fee" cost $249.00.

Skip ahead 13 years (to 2014), and if you adjust that 2001 amount for inflation, it comes out to $327.72. Lifetime Service nowadays costs $399.

To each their own, but TiVo having increased their fee $72 over the last decade (plus three years) doesn't really seem exorbitant to me, especially when you compare the capabilities of a TiVo Series 1 to a TiVo Roamio.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1

Last edited by aristoBrat : 02-10-2014 at 09:40 PM.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
jbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post

Skip ahead 13 years (to 2014), and if you adjust that 2001 amount for inflation, it comes out to $327.72. Lifetime Service nowadays costs $399.

To each their own, but TiVo having increased their fee $72 over the last decade (plus three years) doesn't really seem exorbitant to me, especially when you compare the capabilities of a TiVo Series 1 to a TiVo Roamio.
I agree with you, especially when you compare it to how much Time Warner has increased the cable bill.
jbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
mattack

I don't *LIKE* the ads, but
1) You get even more ads on cable boxes (at least the few times I've ever used a cable box they were FAR more plastered with ads)
2) The ads are ABOUT as unobtrusive as possible. The ones that show up at the top of the bar thing are the only ones that start to bug me..

and I HATE commercials(*). Basically, they're a FAR FAR lesser of evils compared to the rest.

(*) The Super Bowl, and the rare 'best super bowl commercials' or 'funniest commercials ever' specials are the few times I PURPOSELY watch commercials. The rest of the year, I skip them as fast as possible, and am annoyed when I'm at a friend's house and they FF instead of 30 second skipping!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
tarheelblue32

Honestly, the pop-up ads on TiVo don't really bother me at all. I just completely ignore them and almost forget they are ever there.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
CloudAtlas

Quote:

Since TiVo has lost money almost every year since the company started I don't think the prices are high enough. You are getting a DVR along with software updates and service for life.

How exactly is a TiVo overpriced compared to other premium luxury electronic items? I bought a $900 stereo system in 8th grade with money from a paper route so TiVo looks like a bargain comparatively.

The ads are minor. You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
alarson83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
Since TiVo has lost money almost every year since the company started I don't think the prices are high enough. You are getting a DVR along with software updates and service for life.

I don think that math necessarily works. Tivo probably loses a lot of potential customers with their high pricing.
alarson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #11
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, lifetime service costs $499 for new subscribers.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Please be more specific with the details. You get lifetime service if you pay for lifetime service, otherwise it's monthly (after a yearly commitment is completed).

Software updates, are available for only as long as TiVo decides to support the hardware. There is no guarantee that updates will be available for as long as you own the device.

Quote:
How exactly is a TiVo overpriced compared to other premium luxury electronic items? I bought a $900 stereo system in 8th grade with money from a paper route so TiVo looks like a bargain
comparatively.
I agree that TiVo is a luxury item...

Quote:
The ads are minor. You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have.
What do you mean by stating "You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have."?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #13
dahacker

Quote:

I'm not a fan of the screen real estate used by the ads either, but there is no factual evidence that Tivo with lifetime service is more expensive than it's only real competition, the cable company DVR. In fact, time and time again it has been shown that Tivo is cheaper than everything else short of building your own WMC PC.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
Chris Gerhard

I would like to pay less and not have ads on the menus but I haven't found anything close to this good for the same amount of money or less. I have seen no evidence TiVo makes excessive profits or that any other company can do as well for the price so I consider any claims the fees are exorbitant false. I accept the ads help pay for the TiVo service and products so I am happy to live with the ads.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
JohnS-MI

Having changed from another brand DVR (one tuner) which died, I think the hardware price of my Roamio Basic is a real bargain.

I will admit some heartburn over the $15/month for a guide, when Netflix or Amazon Prime (which Tivo doesn't even support) give me all the streaming I can eat for $7-8 a month. I think the guide service is "worth" $5 a month or $50 a year, but I admit I am pretty fond of season passes and reluctant to go back to scheduling manually. Separate subscriptions for each box also bother me/ If "lifetime" were my lifetime, not the Tivo's, and covered all the boxes on my network, I might put a Tivo on every TV. For me, it is now just on my main TV.
JohnS-MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
jcthorne

Quote:

The $249 lifetime sub in 2001 did not include the home media options. That was an additional charge service when launched with the Series 2 boxes and now included in all subscriptions.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
jrtroo
User

Quote:
If you have been a subscriber for "well over a decade", then you are aware that ads have been a part of the tivo experience. Nothing new here with a Roamio.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
atmuscarella

I am fairly sure no one likes ads anywhere, but we do live in a country with a capitalistic economic system and for capitalism to work you have to having marketing (ads), so I am fairly sure they are here (and everywhere) to stay.

I really don't find the ones TiVo uses intrusive at all. Given what most people pay for cable and given that I would find most channels unwatchable without a TiVo because of the adds on those channels, it doesn't seem like a bad trade off to me.

By the way if you really believe a Roamio is over priced why did you buy one?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-12-2014 at 05:54 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Oh, good. A thread about the ads. Surprised no one else has started one before now.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
rgat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
If you have been a subscriber for "well over a decade", then you are aware that ads have been a part of the tivo experience. Nothing new here with a Roamio.
Yup, as my OP says, the insult is that they continue with exorbitant pricing on top of ads (e.g., charging a service fee for a Mini).

I've never liked the ads Tivo pushes. But I've put up with them. I've reached my limit when the exorbitant cost of Roamio with a Mini becomes what Tivo is currently asking AND the box is running ads that popup when you hit pause (as an example). It's gone too far.

I could live with a cycling ad on the Central page, and I actually like having a "page" (accessible from Tivo Central) where I can see/browse ads. This is a demarcated area where I can choose to engage with ads at my choosing, yet the ads don't insert themselves anywhere. But having ads popup (e.g., when I hit pause) is unacceptable. I'm not going to pay the exorbitant price Tivo charges if they are also running ads like this. I've been a huge fan of Tivo for a long time. It's sad to see them degrade like this. Probably the beginning of the end of the PVR.
rgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
jrtroo
User

I'm not saying I like them, but the "popup" ads on pause have been there for a long time as well. My Premiere has them as does my THD. Nothing new, though your OP seems to claim that they are and you now indicate that you did know about them.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #22
humbb

If you use the S-P-S-Pause-S "fast disappear" backdoor, you'll barely notice the ads on pause. The only ads I am consciously aware of are the ones on the Tivo Central page.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
whitmans77

I barely notice the ads.I really notice ads when I am over at a friends house and im forced to watch those dreaded things called commercials that some people sit through. Living with 3 Tivos and a cable company DVR, thr price for a Roamio is well worth it
whitmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, lifetime service costs $499 for new subscribers.
Technically true, but pretty much any new subscriber can get lifetime for $399 by just using the code "PLSR".
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
poppagene
User

Quote:

It's all about what you're willing to pay for. If TiVo is charging too much, then you wouldn't be subscribing to it because it is too expensive. Like you, I wish it were cheaper, but by definition, if it's over-priced relative to one's "demand", then one wouldn't purchase it.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
...I'm not going to pay the exorbitant price Tivo charges if they are also running ads like this. I've been a huge fan of Tivo for a long time. It's sad to see them degrade like this. Probably the beginning of the end of the PVR.
The Roamio or Roamio + Mini option is providing a whole home DVR solution at a cost that in most cases is lower than anything TiVo has offered in the past, if you compare it on a per tuner and/or multiple TV bases.

As an example my TiVo HD with lifetime cost $500 about the same for dual tuner Premiere, so to get to 4 tuners for 2 TVs that was $1000, plus renting 2 cable cards if you have cable. Now you can buy a 4 tuner Roamio for under $600 with lifetime and a Mini for $250 or $850 and only need to rent one cable card. Which is $150 less, plus the cost of one cable card.

For a 3 TV 6 tuner house hold 3 TiVo HDs/Premieres with lifetime would have cost $1500. Now you can buy a 6 tuner Roamio with lifetime for under $800 plus $500 for 2 minis or again $200 less and you will need to rent 2 less cable cards per month.

If you want to go back further my single tuner Humax Series 2 with lifetime cost $300. So $1200 to get 4 tuners or $1800 to get six tuners.

The reality is TiVos have never been cheap. If someone thinks they cost too much no problem don't buy one.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-11-2014 at 01:58 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #27
Grakthis

I paid about $800 just for the S3 box at retail. It took two cable cards and had like a 250GB HD (not sure the actual size, cause I long since upgraded it). It came with a monthly fee I paid for 7 years.

I paid about $850 for a Roamio (6 tuners, 1 CC), 1 mini and lifetimes for both.

Don't tell me TiVo is charging too much in 2014 for their boxes/service.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #28
tarheelblue32

Last November I bought:

Roamio Plus for $339+$399 lifetime w/PLSR=$738
2 Minis @$86+$150 lifetime=$472

Total TiVo cost=$1,210

Time Warner was charging me $8.99/month for the first cable box, $10.95 for the second, and $30.94 for their whole home DVR.

Total TWC cost=$50.88/month

TWC does charge a $2.50/month fee for a CableCard, but if I were renting their equipment I would have to pay service tax on $50.88, so that is basically a wash.

$1,210/$50.88=23.78 months until break even.

Conclusion: It's not cheap, but my Roamio Plus and 2 Minis pay for themselves in just under 2 years. That seems like a pretty good return on investment to me. Not to mention the TiVo equipment is much higher quality and works better than my old TWC equipment ever did. I'm happy with my choice and don't really consider it to be "overpriced" given the alternative.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-11-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #29
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

I will gladly deal with ads so I don;t have to use a cable co DVR!

Plus the ads pop up normally when you pause. I pause because I am not looking at my TV so it really doesn't bother me.

And if the Ads help them stay in business I really do not mind!
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #30
laria
Librocubicularist

I can tune out the ads, but it bugs me that the UI shifts because they don't show up right away.