TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
Ziggie

Can PRO remote control turn sound system on/off?

I see on the TiVo screen an option that says:

Part 2: A/V volume and mute

I've gotten the remote to change the volume and mute, but how do I get it to turn it off? Does the remote control indeed do that? The TiVo site says it does... but I'm not sure how to do it?

From TiVo:

Control power, input, volume and mute of your TV and/or audio receiver.

I don't see where it actually powers the sound system on and off though.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
alarson83

Someone can correct me if im wrong, but i believe you can take one of the codes from the AV volume screen and use that on there. The TV codes all start with 0 and the AV codes all start with 1, and the remote will hold both on one button.
alarson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
humbb

Here is my experience:
(a) On the TiVo screen it basically says to press TiVo and TV-Pwr buttons simultaneously and then enter the TV Power code. This then allows the TV-Pwr button to toggle power for the TV.

(b) It then says to do the same but substituting the Mute button instead of TV-Pwr while entering the A/V code. This remaps the Volume up/down and Mute buttons to control those functions on the A/V. It doesn't affect the TV-Pwr button with respect to controlling A/V on/off.

What I heard on TCF is that you can also enter the A/V code using method (a) which will then produce A/V on/off control (in addition to TV on/off) using the TV-Pwr button. I tried it and it works for me.

Last edited by humbb : 02-10-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Typo
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
I see on the TiVo screen an option that says:

Part 2: A/V volume and mute

I've gotten the remote to change the volume and mute, but how do I get it to turn it off? Does the remote control indeed do that? The TiVo site says it does... but I'm not sure how to do it?

From TiVo:

Control power, input, volume and mute of your TV and/or audio receiver.

I don't see where it actually powers the sound system on and off though.
Adapted from Tivo:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/

Learning remotes can control power for up to three different devices

Slide Pro remote

To learn power for a second device, follow all of the instructions below, but for Step 2 press the number 0 before pressing TV Power.
To learn power for a third device, follow all of the instructions below, but for Step 2 press the number 1 before pressing TV Power.

To use the learning function
1.Press and hold the TiVo and Select buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. When the red or amber activity light remains lit, the remote is in "learning mode."
2.On the TiVo remote, press and release the button you want it to learn (TV Power, for example). The activity light will flash once to acknowledge the button press, and then remain lit.
3.Point the remotes directly at each other, no more than 1 inch apart.
4.Press and hold the corresponding button on the TV or A/V receiver remote (Power, for example) until the TiVo remote flashes in response.
5.If learning is successful, the activity light will flash 4 times. Move on to Step 6.

If learning is not successful, the light will blink 10 times very quickly. You will need to repeat steps 1–4 before moving forward.

6.Repeat steps 2–5 until you have trained the TV Power, Mute, Input, Volume Up, and Volume Down functions.

NOTE: In learning mode, Volume Up and Volume Down are separate buttons, so you must train them individually.

7.When you are finished, press the TiVo button to exit learning mode and return the remote to normal operation.
8.In some instances, the learning remote may be unable to learn from another remote. If this happens, click here for additional assistance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarson83 View Post
Someone can correct me if im wrong, but i believe you can take one of the codes from the AV volume screen and use that on there. The TV codes all start with 0 and the AV codes all start with 1, and the remote will hold both on one button.
I did try several codes, but none turn the sound system on or off

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
Here is my experience:
(a) On the TiVo screen it basically says to press TiVo and TV-Pwr buttons simultaneously and then enter the TV Power code. This then allows the TV-Pwr button to toggle power for the TV.

(b) It then says to do the same but substituting the Mute button instead of TV-Pwr while entering the A/V code. This remaps the Volume up/down and Mute buttons to control those functions on the A/V. It doesn't affect the TV-Pwr button with respect to controlling A/V on/off.

What I heard on TCF is that you can also enter the A/V code using method (a) which will then produce A/V on/off control (in addition to TV on/off) using the TV-Pwr button. I tried it and it works for me.
I did try this humbb.. but no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Adapted from Tivo:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/

Learning remotes can control power for up to three different devices

Slide Pro remote

To learn power for a second device, follow all of the instructions below, but for Step 2 press the number 0 before pressing TV Power.
To learn power for a third device, follow all of the instructions below, but for Step 2 press the number 1 before pressing TV Power.

To use the learning function
1.Press and hold the TiVo and Select buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. When the red or amber activity light remains lit, the remote is in "learning mode."
2.On the TiVo remote, press and release the button you want it to learn (TV Power, for example). The activity light will flash once to acknowledge the button press, and then remain lit.
3.Point the remotes directly at each other, no more than 1 inch apart.
4.Press and hold the corresponding button on the TV or A/V receiver remote (Power, for example) until the TiVo remote flashes in response.
5.If learning is successful, the activity light will flash 4 times. Move on to Step 6.

If learning is not successful, the light will blink 10 times very quickly. You will need to repeat steps 1–4 before moving forward.

6.Repeat steps 2–5 until you have trained the TV Power, Mute, Input, Volume Up, and Volume Down functions.

NOTE: In learning mode, Volume Up and Volume Down are separate buttons, so you must train them individually.

7.When you are finished, press the TiVo button to exit learning mode and return the remote to normal operation.
8.In some instances, the learning remote may be unable to learn from another remote. If this happens, click here for additional assistance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't own a slide remote. The instructions above seem to refer to:

The TiVo Slide Pro, Glo Premium, and Slide remotes are learning remotes, which means they can learn certain functions from other remote control devices without requiring a device code.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Rob_W

Does any one know if I can get the Tivo remote to operate my bose (the Bose has an RF remote and I have never had much luck getting regular remotes to work with it)?
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
wtherrell

Big Grin WooHooo! It works!

I have RoPro and Premiere stacked together and to control them both I use a single old-style two position DVR switch remote instead of either remote that came with the Tivos. I already had it programmed to turn TV on and off and control mute and volume on my Sony A/V. So I just held down TV Power and Tivo until the red light came on and entered the Sony A/V code. Now a single press of the TV power button on the remote switches the TV and the A/V on or off at the same time with but a single press.

Thanks for this tip, guys.
No more grabbing the big ol' AV remote (except to switch inputs on the A/V).
Now if I could find a way to automatically switch the inputs or switch the inputs from the Tivo remote------- that would be perfect. I guess I could get a logitech Harmony but can't quite bring myself to spend that kind of money.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
mrizzo80

Ziggie: were you holding down the POWER button (plus TiVo button) instead of what the on-screen-guide references (MUTE plus TiVo)?

I have this working with a Roamio Plus with stock remote and had it working with a TiVo Elite with standard Glo remote (which I think was a 'learning' remote but I never taught it anything).
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
caughey

Ziggie, what make and model is your A/V receiver? Or is it a sound bar?

The "power button" method should work, I have it working with my Roamio remote and Pioneer AVR.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
humbb

Quote:
Here is my experience:

Quote:
I did try this humbb.. but no luck.
So, just to be clear Ziggie, were you able to find a numeric code to take care of controlling your A/V volume and mute [i.e. Item (b) above]? If yes, that's the code you should use with the TiVo-TV Pwr sequence.

If not, you may need to try this:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/292

Use the third dropdown, "Search for a code to control the volume on your AV/Stereo receiver". Be patient, there are over 300 A/V codes if I recall (mine worked with #35 - I was lucky). If one of them mutes your A/V, you're home free. I would count the number of channel up clicks when you find a code because you may want to use that method for Power control again (you will not know what the code number is) if you're successful. I haven't tried this because I used the 4-digit code for Power, but I would guess that you would use the 1999 code in the A/V directions, but pressing the TiVo-TV Pwr button combination.

It's worth a try! Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Ziggie: were you holding down the POWER button (plus TiVo button) instead of what the on-screen-guide references (MUTE plus TiVo)?

I have this working with a Roamio Plus with stock remote and had it working with a TiVo Elite with standard Glo remote (which I think was a 'learning' remote but I never taught it anything).
If I hold down the power button and TiVo button, the tv shuts off I can control the volume/mute functions on the sound system, but I can't turn it off using the PRO peanut remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
Ziggie, what make and model is your A/V receiver? Or is it a sound bar?

The "power button" method should work, I have it working with my Roamio remote and Pioneer AVR.
We have the Yamaha YHT-S400BL Home Theater System.

Quote:
So, just to be clear Ziggie, were you able to find a numeric code to take care of controlling your A/V volume and mute [i.e. Item (b) above]? If yes, that's the code you should use with the TiVo-TV Pwr sequence.

If not, you may need to try this:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/292

Use the third dropdown, "Search for a code to control the volume on your AV/Stereo receiver". Be patient, there are over 300 A/V codes if I recall (mine worked with #35 - I was lucky). If one of them mutes your A/V, you're home free. I would count the number of channel up clicks when you find a code because you may want to use that method for Power control again (you will not know what the code number is) if you're successful. I haven't tried this because I used the 4-digit code for Power, but I would guess that you would use the 1999 code in the A/V directions, but pressing the TiVo-TV Pwr button combination.

It's worth a try! Good Luck.
Thanks humbb Yes, I was able to find a code to control the volume/mute functions.. in fact, it was the first one! I just can't get it to power the unit on or off.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
humbb

Quote:
If I hold down the power button and TiVo button, the tv shuts off I can control the volume/mute functions on the sound system, but I can't turn it off using the PRO peanut remote.
Ok, ignore the TV shutting off ... the key is if the red light at the top of the remote stays on. If it does, enter the 4-digit A/V code (beginning with '1') and see if the remote accepts it (like it did for the TV code).

If it accepts the code, and if you're lucky, the TV Pwr button should control power on both the TV and A/V.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Ziggie

A huge thanks to everyone who offered me help solving this problem ~ I appreciate it!

Quote:
Ok, ignore the TV shutting off ... the key is if the red light at the top of the remote stays on. If it does, enter the 4-digit A/V code (beginning with '1') and see if the remote accepts it (like it did for the TV code).

If it accepts the code, and if you're lucky, the TV Pwr button should control power on both the TV and A/V.
YES! It worked!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
mwecksell

I have a new mini on a TV with a yamaha receiver. Can someone please clarify the correct procedure to get the power button on the mini to power on/off the my TV and receiver?

I have the remote programmed for power on the TV and volume for the receiver, but the code for volume for the receiver does NOT work when I try to add after the "Tivo+Pwr" sequence.

Thank you.
mwecksell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwecksell View Post
I have a new mini on a TV with a yamaha receiver. Can someone please clarify the correct procedure to get the power button on the mini to power on/off the my TV and receiver?

I have the remote programmed for power on the TV and volume for the receiver, but the code for volume for the receiver does NOT work when I try to add after the "Tivo+Pwr" sequence.

Thank you.
To power your Yahama on/off:
Drill into "Part 2" of remote control setup
Pick Yahama
Hold down POWER + TiVo for 5 seconds
Enter the first 4 digit code you see on the screen
Hit the Power button. If it shuts off your Yahama, hit select and you are done. If it doesn't work, start over beginning with the "Hold down POWER..." step and try another code.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
Ziggie

Over the past few days I've noticed that using the peanut to turn off/turn on the Yamaha isn't reliable Sometimes, it doesn't turn the sound system off so we have to reach for the unit's remote to do it that way.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Loach

Quote:
Over the past few days I've noticed that using the peanut to turn off/turn on the Yamaha isn't reliable Sometimes, it doesn't turn the sound system off so we have to reach for the unit's remote to do it that way.
I notice on my oldish (circa 2005) Yamaha receiver, the only codes that work to power on/off the receiver turn on Zone 2 as well as the main zone. My Harmony remote does not do this. Probably wouldn't matter much, as I don't have anything hooked up to Zone 2, but I notice if I use my Harmony remote to turn the TV & receiver on, then try to use the Tivo remote to turn them off, the Tivo remote turns on Zone 2 instead of turning off the receiver. I wonder if you might be experiencing something similar.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I am currently using a Pioneer Elite receiver but this worked the same with my Yamaha RX-V 667.
If your TV supports ARC and HDMI control and or you receiver supports HDMI control turning on the tv should also turn on the reciever and vice versa.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #19
mxfanatic

Quote:
I occasionally have this happen too. It almost always due to the remote not being pointed towards the receiver for long enough. It sends the codes sequentially so you do have to wait a second. I get so spoiled with the RF on the new remote that I forget that I have to point it for a bit when turning things off and on.

My wife is less patient than I am. She points, pushes the button and sets it down all in one swoop. This causes either the TV or the receiver to not turn off about 20% of the time.
mxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfanatic View Post
I occasionally have this happen too. It almost always due to the remote not being pointed towards the receiver for long enough. It sends the codes sequentially so you do have to wait a second. I get so spoiled with the RF on the new remote that I forget that I have to point it for a bit when turning things off and on.

My wife is less patient than I am. She points, pushes the button and sets it down all in one swoop. This causes either the TV or the receiver to not turn off about 20% of the time.
You're right mxf! I think this is what is causing our problem too (I'm a swooper like your wife lol!) I've been more patient and the problem seems to have cleared up