TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
docprego

Set all recordings to keep until I delete by default & how to show timeline?

1. Is there a way to make all recordings "keep until I delete" by default instead of "When space needed"?

2. Is there a way to make the timeline appear while watching a recording besides pausing the recording?
docprego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
CraigK
(unspecified)

2. Press the Play key on the remote.
You can then dismiss the timeline by pressing the Play key again.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
moose53

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post
1. Is there a way to make all recordings "keep until I delete" by default instead of "When space needed"?
https://tivo.com/tivo-tco/save1clickoptions.do

You can change:

* Change my 1-Click episode Recording options.
* Change my 1-Click Season Pass Recording options.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Words of advice: use KUID sparingly, especially with season passes.
Overuse of KUID will cause scheduling problems due to the TiVo thinking it is full when it really isn't. With the season pass set to KUID, the TiVo will reserve space for all future recordings that are listed in the lineup which could affect pending recordings that are not set to KUID.

Having said that, now that we can put larger hard drives (>2TB) in our TiVos, this is less of a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
docprego

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post

You can change:

Thank you. I have both of these already set to "Keep until I delete" and yet "Until space needed" is the default setting whenever I record something.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
docprego

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

2. Press the Play key on the remote.
You can then dismiss the timeline by pressing the Play key again.
Thank you very much, this is such a help!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

I would heed steve's warnings. Why do you think you need KUID on everything? Initially it would not be an issue, but as things fill up...

Depending upon your model, a hard drive upgrade may be better suited.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I would heed steve's warnings. Why do you think you need KUID on everything? Initially it would not be an issue, but as things fill up...

Depending upon your model, a hard drive upgrade may be better suited.
As things fill up, the TiVo permanently deletes stuff without warning, while leaving everything in the recently deleted folder intact, and it usually permadeletes the thing you happened to notice and hit record on a night or two earlier that you haven't gotten around to changing the recording options on yet because you've been busy with the stuff that lets you afford a TiVo in the first place, while also not deleting something you've left on there so long you forgot about it and it's at the bottom of the NPL where you never see it.

I figure the point of having options on the TiVo is to let me do things the way I want to (within certain limits), and I should be able to make KUID the default anytime I hit the record button just the record quality is.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:

You can change:

Is that link for newer than S3 platform units only?

Because it wants me to log into my TiVo account, which seems like I wouldn't need to do just to read about some SPS code or something.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I figure the point of having options on the TiVo is to let me do things the way I want to (within certain limits), and I should be able to make KUID the default anytime I hit the record button just the record quality is.
Of course you should be able to use your tivo the way you want to.

My warning is that, as Steve noted, the reservation systems can cause the box to stop recording new shows, even if space is otherwise available. The OP appeared new to Tivo, considering the question and their start date here, and perhaps did not understand how easy it is to upgrade the drive.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
moonscape

Quote:
As things fill up, the TiVo permanently deletes stuff without warning, while leaving everything in the recently deleted folder intact,
Is this new with the Roamio? On my S3s, it always grabs the recently deleted first before deleting any old recording. At least that has been my observation over the years.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
Is this new with the Roamio? On my S3s, it always grabs the recently deleted first before deleting any old recording. At least that has been my observation over the years.
Maybe it's just an S2 thing then.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Maybe it's just an S2 thing then.
No, it's a TiVo with a malfunctioning database. The recently deleted shows are always supposed to be deleted before anything else.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
docprego

I'm using a Roamio Pro so space is not an issue. I'm accustomed to keeping all my shows indefinitely as this is how I had my WMC PC set up. I'm surprised that I am having difficulty customizing the default behavior of he Roamio. Isn't that why I bought it in the first place; to have greater control over my viewing experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
No, it's a TiVo with a malfunctioning database. The recently deleted shows are always supposed to be deleted before anything else.
Actually, isn't it suggestions, THEN recently deleted, then your 'active' recordings?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I'm using a Roamio Pro so space is not an issue. I'm accustomed to keeping all my shows indefinitely as this is how I had my WMC PC set up. I'm surprised that I am having difficulty customizing the default behavior of he Roamio. Isn't that why I bought it in the first place; to have greater control over my viewing experience?

>> Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk <<
Since most people (assuming, of course) don't use KUID, I think TiVo intentionally made it difficult to set KUID as a default because of the problems it can cause. Their way of asking "Do you really want to do this?" before the command is executed.

P.S. There is an option in your iPhone forum app where you can turn off that annoying signature I have bolded above.
Please use it. Many forum members here would appreciate it.
Thanks.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
As things fill up, the TiVo permanently deletes stuff without warning, while leaving everything in the recently deleted folder intact, and it usually permadeletes the thing you happened to notice and hit record on a night or two earlier that you haven't gotten around to changing the recording options on yet because you've been busy with the stuff that lets you afford a TiVo in the first place, while also not deleting something you've left on there so long you forgot about it and it's at the bottom of the NPL where you never see it.

If I used KUID delete on everything then I would not have been able to have all the recordings on my TiVos because it would be full. I have programs from years ago because I don't use KUID. My drives are typically around 80% to 90% full. With KUID they would be 100% full and I would need to constantly delete things manually so new things would be recorded. I'd rather have the TiVo manage things automatically which doesn't really happen when KUID is used for everything.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

I've had TiVos for over a decade. Series 2s, Series 3s, Series 4 Premieres and Roamios. I've never ever had any TiVo spontaneously delete any recording I've made before it first deleted anything in my Recently Deleted folder and then it cleared out suggestions. And even when those are empty it alway starts deleting the oldest recordings I've made. It NEVER just randomly deletes recent recordings.

Jeff

P.S. and I only use KUID sparingly and never for a season pass.
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #19
jrtroo
User

My only use for KUID is to move a show out of suggestions and into My Shows. If there were another way to do that, I would.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
My only use for KUID is to move a show out of suggestions and into My Shows. If there were another way to do that, I would.
There is. You can just set the keep until date instead. Even if it is in the past, it will treat it like a program you recorded. No need to KUID.

Overall, for better or worse KUID can be a blessing or a curse. Tivo decided that due to the odd behavior that occurs with it, they preferred it not to be default. For those who want everything to default to it, that stinks.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 AM   #21
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Since most people (assuming, of course) don't use KUID, I think TiVo intentionally made it difficult to set KUID as a default because of the problems it can cause. Their way of asking "Do you really want to do this?" before the command is executed.
Most of my shows are set up as KUID and Keep at Most to All, with the exception of the news programs and Letterman. News programs are set at 2 for keep at most and 10 for Letterman. My understanding of KUID was if I had Keep at most to a set number, say Letterman, that once I reach that number if I had KUID set, that Letterman would stop recording after 10 shows were on the DVR.

The only time I saw space reserved in advance using KUID was on the old Replay TV DVR.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:15 AM   #22
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If I used KUID delete on everything then I would not have been able to have all the recordings on my TiVos because it would be full. I have programs from years ago because I don't use KUID. My drives are typically around 80% to 90% full. With KUID they would be 100% full and I would need to constantly delete things manually so new things would be recorded. I'd rather have the TiVo manage things automatically which doesn't really happen when KUID is used for everything.
If what your saying is true than my Roamio Pro shouldn't record new shows at all. I have 30 SP, 24 are set at KUID, keep at most set to all. I have a few shows going back a few years (transferred from my other Tivos) and at most I've been up to 30% full, as I do try and delete shows that I know will never watch at the end of a television season.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #23
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
The only time I saw space reserved in advance using KUID was on the old Replay TV DVR.
Space is reserved on the TiVo for KUID recordings. But only for episodes currently in the guide (i.e. about two weeks out). So the issue of prematurely running out of space due to KUID is overstated above.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #24
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
Space is reserved on the TiVo for KUID recordings. But only for episodes currently in the guide (i.e. about two weeks out). So the issue of prematurely running out of space due to KUID is overstated above.

Jeff
Yes, this is true for the most part.

Just wait for when they decide to run a ''marathon'' of shows you have a KUID season pass (or ARWL) for, and the guide data doesn't distinguish between new and repeat.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #25
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Quote:

You can change:

That link doesn't work but I found settings at https://tivo.com/tivo-tco/1clickoptions.do

However, this only applies to recordings scheduled from the web site, when you select programs to record or season passes from TiVo.com

I would love to have a way to default to KUID for new season passes I create from my TiVo's guide or search results, just as you can on the web site. TiVo obviously sees some value in having that as a feature or they wouldn't have added it to their site, so hopefully it makes its way to the UI of the DVR itself.
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #26
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2k View Post
That link doesn't work but I found settings at https://tivo.com/tivo-tco/1clickoptions.do

However, this only applies to recordings scheduled from the web site, when you select programs to record or season passes from TiVo.com

I would love to have a way to default to KUID for new season passes I create from my TiVo's guide or search results, just as you can on the web site. TiVo obviously sees some value in having that as a feature or they wouldn't have added it to their site, so hopefully it makes its way to the UI of the DVR itself.
I was just about to ask about this exact thing as I would like my season passes to have different defaults than what is set within the Tivo. I am assuming this can't be done on a permanent basis.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I have 28 SPs and ALL are set KUID. Never have a problem with space (never more than 35% full)...but I never keep more than five eps of any hour-long program and no more than 10 of any half-hour program. Sports programs I delete immediately after watching. I stay pretty current...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #28
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2k View Post
...I would love to have a way to default to KUID for new season passes I create from my TiVo's guide or search results, just as you can on the web site...
As would I....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post

If what your saying is true than my Roamio Pro shouldn't record new shows at all. I have 30 SP, 24 are set at KUID, keep at most set to all. I have a few shows going back a few years (transferred from my other Tivos) and at most I've been up to 30% full, as I do try and delete shows that I know will never watch at the end of a television season.
I have around 130 Season Passes. If I only had a fifth of that then there would not be an issue with a 3TB drive. But with a much smaller drive it would be an issue.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #30
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Since most people (assuming, of course) don't use KUID
Really? I KUID basically everything. I also manage the space available, although with the XL4, the Olympics are the only thing even close to filling the thing up. It's like a bottomless pit!

What I want to know is... is there a way to HIDE the timeline while paused? I've been using TiVo since 2004, and I've never found a way.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote