TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #31
Nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Well, I have a hard time agreeing with the term "greed" since Tivo is yet to be profitable from operations. Searching for revenue streams is more applicable.

You are entitled to your own opinions. They clearly think they will make more money with ads, which they have had for years and years.
Agreed. (No pun intended ) I have no problem with Tivo looking to enhance their profits. That's why they're in business, and if they don't make money they'll shutdown eventually rendering all the lifetime subscriptions we have worthless. We all have our own financial incentive for Tivo to succeed. My point, and my belief, is that Tivo would better enhance their revenue by serving their customer base. That's what made Tivo a success in the first place, and that is what I think they are getting away from.

Rather than try and force customers to new equipment and ads (the HD menus), Tivo should be enticing. For example: The Tivo series 2. Originally it was quite quick through the menus and changing channels. Updates were provided that added nothing of import, and yet still slowed the device to a crawl. It should be obvious to most that Tivo was trying to force customers to spend money on newer equipment and new lifetime subscriptions. While that is understandable as they need to continue to generate income, the actual result is that they angered and lost many customers for no reason. Widespread HD was just around the corner, and the vast majority of Tivo customers would have migrated on their own shortly. I believe--and I have no evidence other than anecdotal--is that in the end Tivo had smaller HD sales because they tried to force customers to new equipment, rather than entice. By looking at the short term rather than the long term they lost potential income.

It seems to me that the Pandora situation is the same thing. By limiting Pandora to the HD menus they are trying to drive customers to the HD menus? Why? Because, as jrtroo astutely pointed out, ads mean revenue and the HD menus have more ads. What they should be doing is providing new services on the HD menus, not eliminating services from the SD menus. They've done a good job of speeding up the HD menus on the Premiere, but they still have a ways to go. If they can't--or won't-- improve the HD menus on the Premiere, then they should not try to drive people to those menus. Entice, yes. Drive, no.

People may grumble about new services being only available on the newer menus/equipment, but they won't get angry. What gets people angry and drives consumers away is when Tivo takes services away from old menus/equipment. You can't seriously get upset because a device doesn't get improved functionality over time. If a company intentionally degrades your device's capabilities, well that's a whole other story.

Very few people would be angry at Tivo concerning the Stream and Android if the CEO had not promised what he could not deliver. Grumble? yes. But most wouldn't be angry. But since the CEO promised Android support in a few months, some Android users either bought streams or planned too. Now, once it became apparent that Android support wasn't coming any time soon, Tivo should have publicly apologized and offered to give a full refund on any unused Streams. they could have sold them as refurbished and probably not lost much at all. And they would have had more loyal, happy, customers. Loyal, happy, customers mean more revenue in the long run. Angry, unhappy, customers means lost revenue.

Local music playback? Why advertise it if it doesn't work? Without doubt they are angering some Tivo customers. How many is unknowable. But why anger any? Clearly Tivo thinks it is a selling point, or they wouldn't advertise it. But how do you think someone who buys a Tivo partly based on that advertised capability feels when they find out the capability isn't there? Do you think he/she will be a happy customer who recommends Tivo to friends, or will they be angry and steer potential customers away from Tivo?

And no, local music playback doesn't "work". In this day and age, especially with Tivo proudly pointing out Tivo's time shifting capability, a music player that becomes unstable if you dare to fast forward or --gasp--advance to the next song can not be considered to "work". A working music player allows you to fast forward, rewind, skip forward or skip back. Tivo does none of those things without then failing to play any other song. At the end of the song it simply stops. For that matter, even if you do nothing it will eventually stop playing the next song anyway. Very, very, few people would consider that a "working" music player.

I can not believe that Tivo is incapable of fixing that problem. Obviously, they simply do not want to spend the time/money to fix it. The smart thing to do would be to stop advertising that capability, or call it a "beta" application. If someone does not know or care about that capability, then the advertising was pointless for that customer. If a buyer DID care about that capability then Tivo did nothing but anger a customer with that advertising. Where is the win?????
Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #32
ARS-K5GP
Gene

Arrow Roamio drops SD and rss management goes with it - help!

I had a premier I gave to my daughter. I enjoyed several rss subscriptions to various scientific feeds, NASA, JPL, ESO, etc. Then the other day I noticed I could not locate how to add more. I was told to go to SD which I did and there was the ability to add more rss feeds. That was fine. Then I bought a Roamio and gave the priemier to my daughter. I was able to transfer all the programming from the premier to the roamio. It transferred the saved rss feeds also which work fine in the roamio. However when I wanted to add new rss feeds to the roamio there was no SD I could switch to and the VOD additions of rss feeds had been dropped on the HD menus. I called Tivo about this and they said they were phasing out rss feeds. I said what! You can't do that! RSS feeds on the Tivo is one of the greatest features of this system. So everyone please tell Tivo to add rss feed management back on the HD menu or allow us to switch back to the SD menu where the rss management still resides.
ARS-K5GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #33
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
No, he said "For everyone, they are a lot slower than SD menus." The "for each" is on "users." For each user, are HD menus slower than SD menus? No, because different users have different hardware.

Maybe you should read his actual post that he actually made and respond to what he actually said? Instead of, I don't know what you're doing? Inventing a post he didn't make and using it to defend him.
I was responding to what's posted to show that the ridiculous purposeful misinterpretation that you are pushing is just that.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #34
mattack

Wait, does RSS feeds mean video podcasts?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #35
dnemec123

RSS feeds cannot be added to a Roamio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS-K5GP View Post
I had a premier I gave to my daughter. I enjoyed several rss subscriptions to various scientific feeds, NASA, JPL, ESO, etc. Then the other day I noticed I could not locate how to add more. I was told to go to SD which I did and there was the ability to add more rss feeds. That was fine. Then I bought a Roamio and gave the priemier to my daughter. I was able to transfer all the programming from the premier to the roamio. It transferred the saved rss feeds also which work fine in the roamio. However when I wanted to add new rss feeds to the roamio there was no SD I could switch to and the VOD additions of rss feeds had been dropped on the HD menus. I called Tivo about this and they said they were phasing out rss feeds. I said what! You can't do that! RSS feeds on the Tivo is one of the greatest features of this system. So everyone please tell Tivo to add rss feed management back on the HD menu or allow us to switch back to the SD menu where the rss management still resides.
I, too, just found this out today after my son asked how we could record his favorite YouTube channel on the Roamio (which is a feature that is listed on TiVo's web site under Tips & Tricks, WebTips).

If you wanted to record video podcasts, YouTube channel content or anything else delivered via the RSS standard then please call or write TiVo Support and express the need to have this feature added back for the Roamio. This is an online video content device, right?

Dale
dnemec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #36
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I was responding to what's posted to show that the ridiculous purposeful misinterpretation that you are pushing is just that.
But you weren't. Because you claimed something was said, in the post I was responding to, that was not said. So you were responding to a fiction.

If you can't actually take the time to read what was said and respond to what was actually said, then please stay out of the discussion. It's not helpful to anyone for you to invent something, pretend someone said it, and respond to a fiction.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #37
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nak View Post
Again, LMFAO! Grakthis, don't worry yourself, nothing you could say could hurt my feelings. LOL.

OK, you're having a very difficult time comprehending what you read. That's no reason to lash out at others, that just makes you look pathetic. Try reading my posts again. Read Bigg's post to help you understand. Think real hard as you read. Still having a hard time understanding? OK, try this. take a premiere and set it to SD menus. Step through a couple of tasks like reading show overviews. Now, do the exact same tasks with the HD menus. Time both with a stopwatch. See? The HD menus are slower? Obviously this is a really difficult task for you, so take your time. Try it again if you need to. You could try it again with a Roamio. Now this will be harder for you because the Roamio will be faster. You'll have to really work hard at it. Try and push the button on the stopwatch at the same time you start working the Tivo. Don't get frustrated, it can be very hard for some people to do two things at once. Nothing to be ashamed of there, you have other qualities that make up for it, I'm sure!

OK, now that you've managed to understand the concept of "faster", try working on being a nicer person. Nobody likes obnoxious people. Do you really have such a hard time understanding simple concepts like "implied" and "in context", or are you really just trying to be a jerk?

Come on Grathkis, only a complete and utter fool thinks that the Tivo HD menus are faster than the SD menus. And only a complete and utter fool thinks I was talking about anything other than a Tivo. If you're reading comprehension is above the 3rd grade level, you'd be able to understand that we are talking about different menus on the same Tivo. I understand that you're no genius, but I doubt you're as stupid as you're trying to make people think you are.
There's this smiley we have on some forums, it's used to convey copious amounts of hilarious irony.

It's a smiley face, rolling it's eyes, barfing up 1000 more smiley faces, all rolling their eyes.

It's what you post when someone says something so hilariously ironic that just responding by calling it ironic isn't enough. You need to convey OVERWHELMING irony. Like, irony to the point where you don't actually need to explain it to people, you just point. "This framed post is the most ironic thing possible, everyone look at it! hahahahah."

We don't have that smiley here.

But let's pretend we do, and that I just posted it in response to you.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #38
Grakthis

i guess I probably could have conveyed the same notion with "y u mad, bro?"

Hmmmmmm...
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #39
trip1eX

The OP's premise is flawed.

Let's not pretend that Tivo was ever great at anything but recording cabletv.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #40
ARS-K5GP
Gene

Its a video download. I see roamio still can add pod casts but these are low resolution mainly for cell phones and hand held devices which appear fuzzy on a large tv screen. Tivo has on line their high def VOD lists posted here www dot tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?def=tco.webvideos.page so now the challenge is how to add them to your new roamio box. If we could do it from on line at that link, that would be fine also. That way the roamio software would not need to be modified since it currently can play these HD rss feeds if you can get them on the box in the first place. I had to change the www above because I recd an error message from the group server. Sorry for the words www dot, change them to the real link.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #41
ARS-K5GP
Gene

....If you wanted to record video podcasts...

I think you may still be able to add pod casts with roamio.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #42
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
But you weren't. Because you claimed something was said, in the post I was responding to, that was not said. So you were responding to a fiction.

If you can't actually take the time to read what was said and respond to what was actually said, then please stay out of the discussion. It's not helpful to anyone for you to invent something, pretend someone said it, and respond to a fiction.
The original statement was obvious to any reasonable reader that it meant for any user, SD menus are always faster than HD menus on the same TiVo box. The statement may not have stood up in court to mean exactly that, but to any reader with any common sense, it meant that. Stop nitpicking.

Quote:
Again, LMFAO! Grakthis, don't worry yourself, nothing you could say could hurt my feelings. LOL.

OK, you're having a very difficult time comprehending what you read. That's no reason to lash out at others, that just makes you look pathetic. Try reading my posts again. Read Bigg's post to help you understand. Think real hard as you read. Still having a hard time understanding? OK, try this. take a premiere and set it to SD menus. Step through a couple of tasks like reading show overviews. Now, do the exact same tasks with the HD menus. Time both with a stopwatch. See? The HD menus are slower? Obviously this is a really difficult task for you, so take your time. Try it again if you need to. You could try it again with a Roamio. Now this will be harder for you because the Roamio will be faster. You'll have to really work hard at it. Try and push the button on the stopwatch at the same time you start working the Tivo. Don't get frustrated, it can be very hard for some people to do two things at once. Nothing to be ashamed of there, you have other qualities that make up for it, I'm sure!

OK, now that you've managed to understand the concept of "faster", try working on being a nicer person. Nobody likes obnoxious people. Do you really have such a hard time understanding simple concepts like "implied" and "in context", or are you really just trying to be a jerk?

Come on Grathkis, only a complete and utter fool thinks that the Tivo HD menus are faster than the SD menus. And only a complete and utter fool thinks I was talking about anything other than a Tivo. If you're reading comprehension is above the 3rd grade level, you'd be able to understand that we are talking about different menus on the same Tivo. I understand that you're no genius, but I doubt you're as stupid as you're trying to make people think you are.
Yes. I think it's more a matter of reading it like a lawyer, trying to poke little holes in it, and then splitting hairs over it to be obnoxious. It was clear what was originally meant by the post.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #43
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post

Quite true.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #44
Nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post

Quote:
Quite true.
Of course, this is personnel preference but I'd have to disagree. Fairly ironic, I start a thread to bash Tivo and then sing their praises... LOL

Up until very recently I was using a series 2 for my music player. It was a lifetime box with a hard drive that never saw the update that ruined MP3 playback, and of course also never saw the updates that slowed it down. To get there, I simply installed the original hard drive which I had kept as a backup. I also blocked it from the internet with my router. It made a great music player. No album art or anything like that, but I really don't care about that. I just start the music and then turn off the TV anyway. It died just a couple of months ago. I've not found a replacement player that I like as well.

I also like the photo display capability of the Tivo. It's the best way ever to go through old family photos with the kids. It's also great for throwing up slideshows as theme backgrounds during parties. You do need to organize all of your photos in a good folder structure to do that, but I do that anyway.

While i use a Dune player for my Bluray collection, all of my old DVD's are kept on my HTPC, but I watch them with my Tivo. Simple and easy to drill down through folders to pick out a movie, excellent playback features. If Tivo really wants to entice me to buy the Roamio to replace my Premiere, adding 1080P ISO playback AND HD audio would do that.

I enjoy listening to Pandora with the Tivo quite a bit, at least I did with the old Pandora app. I understand Pandora's need for a new app though. The old app played so few commercials there was no need whatsoever to pay for premium service.

It wasn't smart of Pandora though to make the new app a worse music player. If they would have just left the app alone other than upping the commercial count--and if I could access it via the SD menus-- I'd buy a Pandora subscription today. Admittedly I still might. I'll have to see if I continue to use it with it's reduced playback capabilities. And if I can get used to the HD menus. The more I use those menus the less I like them it seems... I don't mind ads, I understand the need for them. I just find the HD menus annoyingly un-intuitive to use, and slow.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #45
jrtroo
User

I have had them both, and if you are going to purchase an app to stream music on your tivo, I prefer spotify.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #46
Nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I have had them both, and if you are going to purchase an app to stream music on your tivo, I prefer spotify.
I'll have to check that out. Have you tried the Spotify Android app?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #47
Bigg

Quote:
Of course, this is personnel preference but I'd have to disagree. Fairly ironic, I start a thread to bash Tivo and then sing their praises... LOL

Up until very recently I was using a series 2 for my music player. It was a lifetime box with a hard drive that never saw the update that ruined MP3 playback, and of course also never saw the updates that slowed it down. To get there, I simply installed the original hard drive which I had kept as a backup. I also blocked it from the internet with my router. It made a great music player. No album art or anything like that, but I really don't care about that. I just start the music and then turn off the TV anyway. It died just a couple of months ago. I've not found a replacement player that I like as well.

I also like the photo display capability of the Tivo. It's the best way ever to go through old family photos with the kids. It's also great for throwing up slideshows as theme backgrounds during parties. You do need to organize all of your photos in a good folder structure to do that, but I do that anyway.

While i use a Dune player for my Bluray collection, all of my old DVD's are kept on my HTPC, but I watch them with my Tivo. Simple and easy to drill down through folders to pick out a movie, excellent playback features. If Tivo really wants to entice me to buy the Roamio to replace my Premiere, adding 1080P ISO playback AND HD audio would do that.

I enjoy listening to Pandora with the Tivo quite a bit, at least I did with the old Pandora app. I understand Pandora's need for a new app though. The old app played so few commercials there was no need whatsoever to pay for premium service.

It wasn't smart of Pandora though to make the new app a worse music player. If they would have just left the app alone other than upping the commercial count--and if I could access it via the SD menus-- I'd buy a Pandora subscription today. Admittedly I still might. I'll have to see if I continue to use it with it's reduced playback capabilities. And if I can get used to the HD menus. The more I use those menus the less I like them it seems... I don't mind ads, I understand the need for them. I just find the HD menus annoyingly un-intuitive to use, and slow.
None of that stuff works well compared to other devices ranging from Smart TVs to Rokus to HTPCs to laptops to smartphones and iPads.

Playing music through a TiVo makes no sense, as you'd have to have the TV on just for music. An smartphone or iPad running through Bluetooth or a 3.5mm to RCA cable makes a LOT more sense.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
HerronScott

Quote:
Playing music through a TiVo makes no sense, as you'd have to have the TV on just for music.
Depending on your setup and how you are using it, you don't have to have to keep the TV on after you start playing. I'll start playing Pandora or an album from my Home Server through our S3 and then turn the TV off as the TiVo audio/video goes through a receiver.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #49
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Depending on your setup and how you are using it, you don't have to have to keep the TV on after you start playing. I'll start playing Pandora or an album from my Home Server through our S3 and then turn the TV off as the TiVo audio/video goes through a receiver.

Scott
Mine is [sort of] set up the same way, I could run audio without the screen, but then I'd basically have no way to control what the TiVo is doing. Better just to use one of the zillion other devices that can stream music with bluetooth.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #50
Nak

Possibly with an APT-X bluetooth device it may be time for that... With regular bluetooth the audio quality is nowhere near as good as the Tivo connection. Not that Tivo is audiophile quality, but with 256 kbs encoded mp3's it's far and away better than any standard bluetooth setup. Not even in the same league... The nice thing about the Tivo--if it worked correctly--is the "one box" media solution. Tivo is so close to being that, yet they fail to take the next step. If they'd fix music playback and add ISO 1080p playback--with HD audio--they'd become the #1 media player. The hardware is capable, they just haven't stepped forward with the software.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #51
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
ISO 1080p playback--with HD audio
Gotta say, I don't know what you mean by either of these. The Roamio does do 1080p, though (both 24 and 60 fps).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #52
Bigg

Quote:
Possibly with an APT-X bluetooth device it may be time for that... With regular bluetooth the audio quality is nowhere near as good as the Tivo connection. Not that Tivo is audiophile quality, but with 256 kbs encoded mp3's it's far and away better than any standard bluetooth setup. Not even in the same league... The nice thing about the Tivo--if it worked correctly--is the "one box" media solution. Tivo is so close to being that, yet they fail to take the next step. If they'd fix music playback and add ISO 1080p playback--with HD audio--they'd become the #1 media player. The hardware is capable, they just haven't stepped forward with the software.
Then use an RCA cable. "One box". HAHAHA. It's a DVR. It sucks at everything else. That's why we have AVRs with big rows of HDMI ports, HDMI switches, and furniture to house all of the stuff.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #53
Nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Gotta say, I don't know what you mean by either of these. The Roamio does do 1080p, though (both 24 and 60 fps).
By ISO playback I mean the ability to play a Bluray stored as an ISO file. HD Audio is either DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. Those capabilities would make Tivo a true Media Player and take the place of a device like my Dune. It seems like the Tivo--at least the Roamio--should be hardware capable of that, but perhaps the chipset is not. I have no idea actually. I'm just pointing out things Tivo could do to expand their customer base. They dabble at such capabilities, but don't really commit to it.

My overall point is that Tivo would be better off expanding their customer base by improving their service on new devices/menus. Trying to force customers to new devices/menus by degrading service on old devices is likely to be counter productive in the long run. Pissing off a segment of your fan base is never a good idea, except in the very short term.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #54
lessd

Quote:
By ISO playback I mean the ability to play a Bluray stored as an ISO file. HD Audio is either DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. Those capabilities would make Tivo a true Media Player and take the place of a device like my Dune. It seems like the Tivo--at least the Roamio--should be hardware capable of that, but perhaps the chipset is not. I have no idea actually. I'm just pointing out things Tivo could do to expand their customer base. They dabble at such capabilities, but don't really commit to it.

My overall point is that Tivo would be better off expanding their customer base by improving their service on new devices/menus. Trying to force customers to new devices/menus by degrading service on old devices is likely to be counter productive in the long run. Pissing off a segment of your fan base is never a good idea, except in the very short term.
How many lay people would understand what you just said above, few could even get a BluRay movie into an ISO format, TiVo is a DVR first with a few apps connected to it, the full home system using the Mini (and 4 to six tuner TiVo) and reducing cable cards use is the real step forward for DVR use, the rest of the apps will not get any more (or few) lay people to purchase a TiVo system.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #55
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
How many lay people would understand what you just said above, few could even get a BluRay movie into an ISO format, TiVo is a DVR first with a few apps connected to it, the full home system using the Mini (and 4 to six tuner TiVo) and reducing cable cards use is the real step forward for DVR use, the rest of the apps will not get any more (or few) lay people to purchase a TiVo system.
Exactly. Especially in a market with very limited competition. Very few people who even understand how they could rip ISO files would, since they already have a Blu-Ray player, and aren't going to waste their time ripping ISOs.

If anything, they should focus on the core DVR functionality and improvements there.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would say just the opposite. TiVo is a more user firendly experience than in the past. At least for my with my Roamios, Minis, and TiVo Desktop PC. I've never been able to do so much and so fast with the quick UI in all my years of using TiVos.

EIT: Where the heck did teh post go I was responding to.

Fo BD ISOs I have other deviecs for my media streaming. I don't need my Tivo to do it. I've got over 1600 BD ISOs currently and my media players do a great job with them. My TiVos can't do everything and I don't want them trying to have them do everything.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #57
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Tivo appears to be moving in with the cable companies, with all their new partnerships and with laying off the majority of their hardware engineers their future is with the providing dvr software for the cable companies.

I bet in 10 year there will be no more Tivo retail products and if you want Tivo, your cable company will supply it with their box rentals.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #58
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would say just the opposite. TiVo is a more user firendly experience than in the past. At least for my with my Roamios, Minis, and TiVo Desktop PC. I've never been able to do so much and so fast with the quick UI in all my years of using TiVos.

EIT: Where the heck did teh post go I was responding to.

Fo BD ISOs I have other deviecs for my media streaming. I don't need my Tivo to do it. I've got over 1600 BD ISOs currently and my media players do a great job with them. My TiVos can't do everything and I don't want them trying to have them do everything.
I'm not saying it's not better than ever. It is. But it still has a long way to go.

1600 ISOs? Do you actually own the discs? Or are they pirated? That's a lot of storage space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Tivo appears to be moving in with the cable companies, with all their new partnerships and with laying off the majority of their hardware engineers their future is with the providing dvr software for the cable companies.

I bet in 10 year there will be no more Tivo retail products and if you want Tivo, your cable company will supply it with their box rentals.
That's not going to work for most of the country, where Comcast reigns (or will reign) supreme. I'm betting that they only do software, and either license it to a company to make the retail hardware, or spec out retail hardware and outsource the production of it, in addition to selling to cable companies.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #59
bobtbobt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'm not defending them, but *AS WELL AS* calling them, write up bugs at forum.tivo.com too.. They seem to be a BIT more responsive there (though I admit I have to add some more info about a few of the issues I'm seeing with the iPad app still happening)..
forums.tivo.com
bobtbobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #60
trip1eX

Quote:

It was never great at that stuff though. The fact you used it isn't enough to make it great.

I just had a chuckle with your post because I thought you were 10 years late with the question in the title when discussing these xtra services that Tivos can do. I never found them great by any objective measure.

Even back when I had a SEries 2 and didn't have an iPod yet. I never thought the music playback feature was great. You needed your pc to be on. You needed your TV on. And then your UI was folders. And this feature was buried in the menu. And the whole process was slow going. And then I think if you went back a folder or something your song would stop playing.

Pretty quickly i had an Ipod and a pair of RCA cables.

IT's the same sorta thing for everything on Tivo outside of recording tv. The stuff is there and works I guess in the general sense of the word.

But if you really use that xtra stuff you might as well just get an ATV or use your smartphone etc.

Last edited by trip1eX : 02-24-2014 at 09:17 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote