TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Wingershute

my roamio plus & 3 minis setup

I just finished my setup with a roamio plus & 3 minis all hooked up via 6 cable & 4 trendnet "green" switches. Everything works great and actually was approved by the wife. i got rid of 2 premieres using 2 cable cards which will save $9.00/month.
I have several questions regarding the minis. i notice a slight delay when channel changing versus channel changing with the roamio. also is there any way to activate the live tv window when pressing the tivo button. I get live tv when pressing the guide button but not when pressing the tivo button. Lastly, the mini is actually a one tuner device. I cant switch back and forth between tuners by pressing the live tv button. any help is appreciated.

Roamio Plus Lifetime
Mini Lifetime X 3
2 Premieres Lifetime
TiVo S2 doa
8tb server
Wingershute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingershute View Post
i notice a slight delay when channel changing versus channel changing with the roamio.
Yep. Same thing with mine. I think it just takes a little longer since the Mini has to communicate with the Roamio to get the channel. I don't think there is anything that you can do about that.

Quote:
is there any way to activate the live tv window when pressing the tivo button.
No. Pressing the TiVo button is how you release the tuner back to the Roamio, so maintaining the live tv window is not possible.

Quote:
the mini is actually a one tuner device. I cant switch back and forth between tuners by pressing the live tv button.
Yep, no way to use more than 1 tuner on the Mini, so you can only get a buffer on 1 channel at a time with the Mini.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
ukwildcat4life

Tarheelblue32 is pretty much spot on. I just recently bought my first Tivo and Mini and set them up two weeks ago. The Tivo Mini borrows one of your Roamio's tuners so you won't be able to use no more than the one tuner that it borrows from the Roamio. As far as going to live TV you can do that two ways on the Mini; you can hit Tivo Central button and I think the second option on the list says " go to live tv" or you can just hit the live tv button on your Mini's remote and it will go to live TV....one thing I had to learn that had me puzzled was that I also have an apple TV box that I use on the same TV as the Mini and whenever I was changing the input to use my Apple TV and then when I went back to the Mini the screen was blank.....what I learned is that when you change inputs make sure that your Mini is on the Tivo Central Screen before you change the input so whenever you go back to the Mini's input Tivo Central will be there....that was a little off topic but just a pointer for ya in case you ever do that. How is your Mini networked? are you using MoCA or Ethernet? I'm asking because you mentioned that your Mini wasn't as responsive as the Roamio but mine seems to be about as responsive as the Roamio....
ukwildcat4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
mcf57

I have a mini and these are the EXACT three things I have wondered about too. I can't see the delay getting much better, but maybe they can at least work on the other two (live box and access to more than one tuner). I might swap my Mini and 4-tuner premiere simply for these reasons as well.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote