TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
traveler100

TIVO composite output conversion

Has anyone taken the Roamio composite output and converted the signal back to RF Coaxial to connect to an older TV with Coax input only?
traveler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Should work. You just need an RF modulator.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
questors

I did it with an RF modulator on a Series II, worked fine. You can pick one up at Radio Shack.
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Or you could get a better tv for free/almost free and get a better picture/sound...

Just looked on craigslist (boston). 9th item... 32" component, s-video, composite, coax inputs.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/zip/4326335872.html
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Or you could get a better tv for free/almost free and get a better picture/sound...

Just looked on craigslist (boston). 9th item... 32" component, s-video, composite, coax inputs.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/zip/4326335872.html
No way I'd take that TV even for free. It's such a turn-off to see a piece of electronics sitting in snow on the ground outside out in the elements. Is it really that hard to take a picture of the TV in your living room BEFORE you haul it out to the curb?
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

lol, I was wondering if someone would comment on that!

its just a random example... tv's are up there every day

edit to add:
Here you go, even widescreen/hdmi!
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/zip/4326187806.html
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
traveler100

My circumstance is unique in that we have a fully functional Kitchen 12" tube TV that only has a coax input. My wife can view it from her food prep area within a few feet of the TV. We upgraded to a flat screen w/all kinds of inputs, but she couldn't see a thing from her viewing angles. Maybe an LED TV would work. Anyway we're back to the 12"tube TV but with my upgrade to Roamio I'm unable to run the TiVo signal without converting the signal to a Rf Coax. Hope that clears up my initial question.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
traveler100

In addition I'd rather have my wife watching TiVo soaps in the kitchen cooking while I'm on the big screen watching NOVA.

Last edited by traveler100 : 02-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler100 View Post
In addition I'd rather have my wife watching TiVo soaps in the kitchen cooking while I'm on the big screen watching NOVA.
You understand that you can only play back one program at a time from the TiVo, right? (Not counting the use of a Mini, an iPad with a Stream, or a second TiVo.) You'll get the same video on all outputs.

If you don't want to buy a dedicated RF modulator, almost any old VCR will do the trick. But it will probably require more electricity, and definitely more space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you have a Premiere or Roamio,a dn an iPad, you should consider getting a Stream. My wife uses her iPad to watch TV in the kitchen via the Stream and it works great.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
marklyn

I also have a RF converter in use (from RadioShack I think).
I have the composite output going to the converter box and from there coax to my small TV in the kitchen.
I use my Roamio Plus remote to manage my TV in the kitchen and the RF part works with my Roamio, so it works very well for me. I use a Harmony one in my living room to manage the TV, Roamio and audio system.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
traveler100

@Marklyn, your method is exactly what I want to do initially as my wife prefers the 12" TV and it looks like that's a $20 fix to have exactly what we had with the previous S2 TiVo.

@Wmcbrine, yes we're aware we can only view one at a time. We're retired just the two of us and have never needed more than one show at a time. We only upgraded for the HD, multi tuners are nice but rarely needed.

@Dan203, streaming may be an option in the future. Don't like spending another $100 for a box to work that I just dropped $600 on. Wife says the Ipad screen is to small, but a LED TV may work there once the CRT dies.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
HarperVision

Quote:
@Marklyn, your method is exactly what I want to do initially as my wife prefers the 12" TV and it looks like that's a $20 fix to have exactly what we had with the previous S2 TiVo.

@Wmcbrine, yes we're aware we can only view one at a time. We're retired just the two of us and have never needed more than one show at a time. We only upgraded for the HD, multi tuners are nice but rarely needed.

@Dan203, streaming may be an option in the future. Don't like spending another $100 for a box to work that I just dropped $600 on. Wife says the Ipad screen is to small, but a LED TV may work there once the CRT dies.
FYI, an LED TV is the same as any other flat panel as far as viewing angle. It's just an LCD TV that's backlit by LEDs instead of standard lamps.

I think the reason Wmcbrine mentioned more than one show simultaneously is because you said that you would watch one thing on your big HDTV while your wife watched her soaps in the kitchen on her small CRT TV.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
marklyn

Marklyn, your method is exactly what I want to do initially as my wife prefers the 12" TV and it looks like that's a $20 fix to have exactly what we had with the previous S2 TiVo.

This set up works well for me for my Living Room Roamio to Kitchen TV feed but keep in mind that the output will be 480i instead of HD; however, I have another configuration you may wish to consider. Not a big deal for me since I'm usually half-glancing at the kitchen TV while prepping dinner.

My spare bedroom is next to my study. I have a mini in my spare bedroom and I use the component output to drive my tv next to my mini in that bedroom but I also use a 50' HDMI cable that goes from my mini, into the attic and down the wall to my tv in the study where I get a nice and clean HD signal for my 24" HD TV. I purchased the Slider Pro for the premiere which gives me the dongle (plugs into back of mini) and now I have a RF remote for the study and the original IR remote for the spare bedroom.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
traveler100

@Harpervision, thanks for the heads-up on LED sounds like I better buy a backup 12"CRT TV. I may have mislead Wmcbrine, I'm always watching live TV while she watches the recorded shows in the kitchen or she'll watch live in the kitchen while I watch live via a direct feed to input on the FamRm TV.

@Marklyn, thanks for the additional info I'll check into the mini. I ordered the RF Mod. today as we're use to 480I in the Kitchen. Although our kitchen is large we've found the best location for the TV viewing both from the island and prep areas creates these viewing angles that just don't work well with a flat screen. Odd that this blend of new and old is best we can do until the next tech improvement. I thought the Ipad was the solution, but it's screen is much smaller than the 12"diag. TV.

Thanks for the help, love this forum of users who provide great support.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
shwru980r

You might find a used S2 with lifetime service for not much more than the RF adapter, and then just use the same connection you had before and you both could watch recordings. S2s work great on small TVs.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
My circumstance is unique in that we have a fully functional Kitchen 12" tube TV that only has a coax input. My wife can view it from her food prep area within a few feet of the TV. We upgraded to a flat screen w/all kinds of inputs, but she couldn't see a thing from her viewing angles. Maybe an LED TV would work. Anyway we're back to the 12"tube TV but with my upgrade to Roamio I'm unable to run the TiVo signal without converting the signal to a Rf Coax. Hope that clears up my initial question.
Do like I do for the S3 on top of the fridge--run it through a VCR with line inputs to turn it into channel 3 or 4.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
traveler100

Received the RF Modulator and composite breakout cable today hooked them up to the Kitchen TV while still using the HDMI output to the FR Flat screen and got no composite signal out of the TIVO. Rewired the Roamio composite output to a known good input connected through a VCR feed no signal from the Roamio.
Hmmmm....Called TIVO support, official response:

"Roamio does not support dual HDMI and Composite outputs simultaneously, it's one or the other"

Whaaaat.....everybody on this forum says they're using both outputs.

So I go through tech supports system checks and we confirm that my brand new Roamio out of the box has a defect composite output. They had me power down disconnect the HDMI cable leaving only the Composite output connected power back up and still no output.

I guess my concern at this point is TiVo says that the Roamio box looks for a handshake with the HDMI and based on this handshake response or lack of it turns on the composite output. I know TiVo is pushing Mini's with a monthly fee and that could be their reason for the response I got.

My question has anyone else had this issue or did I just get a bad TiVo box?
traveler100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
marklyn

Quote:
Called TIVO support, official response:

"Roamio does not support dual HDMI and Composite outputs simultaneously, it's one or the other"
My itty bitty mini has a HDMI output to the TV in my study (50') and component cable going to the TV sitting next to the mini and it works fine.

My Roamio plus has HDMI going out to my 55" Sony Bravia TV and composite cable going to my composite -> Coax converter, which ends up connected to my kitchen TV and it works fine (at the same time). Not sure what they are saying something different.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #20
traveler100

Hopefully the replacement Roamio basic box will have both HDMI and Composite working. As many posters have said they use. I'm sure TiVo's response was an effort to sell another mini w/monthly fee.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Received the RF Modulator and composite breakout cable today hooked them up to the Kitchen TV while still using the HDMI output to the FR Flat screen and got no composite signal out of the TIVO. Rewired the Roamio composite output to a known good input connected through a VCR feed no signal from the Roamio.
Hmmmm....Called TIVO support, official response:

Whaaaat.....everybody on this forum says they're using both outputs.

So I go through tech supports system checks and we confirm that my brand new Roamio out of the box has a defect composite output. They had me power down disconnect the HDMI cable leaving only the Composite output connected power back up and still no output.

I guess my concern at this point is TiVo says that the Roamio box looks for a handshake with the HDMI and based on this handshake response or lack of it turns on the composite output. I know TiVo is pushing Mini's with a monthly fee and that could be their reason for the response I got.

My question has anyone else had this issue or did I just get a bad TiVo box?
traveler100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Are you sure you got a cable with the right pinout on the plug?

Apparently Apple, a few years ago, put ground on the ring nearest the sleeve and video on the sleeve instead of the other way around and now there are 2 different versions of the left-right-video tip-ring1-ring2-sleeve mini-phone plug out there and I'm not sure which one the TiVo uses.

If you didn't get any audio either, then there's a good chance this is the problem, since neither channel would have a ground return.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #22
traveler100

Interesting
I think I have standard breakout cables configuration on both I've used is:
Tip is L(white)
1st ring from tip Video (Yellow)
2nd ring from tip is Grd.
3rd Ring from tip is R (Red)

Is this what TiVo requires or do they have a unique breakout cable?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
traveler100

Ok now I'm concerned I don't have the proper break out cable. I just found this image of different configurations for Composite break out cables. Does anyone know which is used by TiVo?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...nouts-zune.jpg

Last edited by traveler100 : 02-13-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
traveler100

@Unitron I think your right I have the wrong cable configuration. I didn't get audio or video and now I'm sure the TiVo is fine. I just need to find the correct cable, apparently per the photo above there are three different configurations for the A/V breakout cables. I'll order one direct from TiVo in the morning. I'll post it's configuration so other users don't go what I just went through.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #25
traveler100

The TiVo Composite output cable pin configuration is as follows:
Composite and RL audio:
Sleeve = ground
1st ring = right
2nd ring = left
Tip = video

I just swapped my plugs and my White was the video signal, Yellow was the left audio and Red remained Red. Looks like Tivo has come up with a fourth 3.5mm mini composite pin configuration to confuse the world....Really TiVo how disappointing just to turn a buck.

Now to stop the replacement TiVo box shipment as my Box is obviously not defective just a cable issue. Wife's happy watching her recorded shows in the kitchen, while I'm watching live feed in the family room.

Traveler100 Out!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Viewing angles are fine. TV is OK. I just got one like a week ago.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote