TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #31
rad1701

Good to know. Just seems weird that it works ok now in the Roamio. I will move the card back to my Premiere unit - where it was paired before. The when Comcast comes tomorrow I will have them properly pair a new card to my Roamio. Kind of a pain overall - but I do love how quick and responsive the new Roamio interface handles. And streaming to my iPad is awesome!
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #32
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701 View Post
Good to know. Just seems weird that it works ok now in the Roamio. I will move the card back to my Premiere unit - where it was paired before. The when Comcast comes tomorrow I will have them properly pair a new card to my Roamio. Kind of a pain overall - but I do love how quick and responsive the new Roamio interface handles. And streaming to my iPad is awesome!
If you move the card back to the Premiere, it will NOT be paired there - the pairing was destroyed when you moved it to the Roamio (that's the standard Comcast security setup). You'll need to have it paired in whatever machine it ends up in.

You have two levels of problems going on at the same time.
1. Your bad card is not being authorized correctly. There is probably something wrong in Comcast's database for the card, whether it be something in the info connected with your account, or something in the info for the card itself. A good Comcast tech can fix that info, but most will just try another card. It's the lack of authorization that means you can't get most channels.
2. Once a card is authorized correctly, then it can be paired. You've never gotten to this step with the bad card, since it was never authorized. The good card that's in the Roamio now is one that has been properly authorized, but is not paired at the moment.

Lack of pairing on Comcast means you'll get most channels, but won't get the premium channels like HBO, and in most markets won't get a few of the non-premium movie channels like the Encore channels.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
Ziggie

Quote:
Got two more cable cards today from Comcast. Still can't get either to work right. Biggest issue seems to be missing my HD channels in the HD package range. A tech is schedueled now to come out on Tuesday. This is frankly a pain in the a$$. My previous TIVO's seemed to pair and setup much easier than the Roamio for some reason.
Having a tech come out yesterday was the ONLY WAY my card was successfully paired. You're right, it is a huge pain.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #34
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
If you move the card back to the Premiere, it will NOT be paired there - the pairing was destroyed when you moved it to the Roamio (that's the standard Comcast security setup). You'll need to have it paired in whatever machine it ends up in.

You have two levels of problems going on at the same time.
1. Your bad card is not being authorized correctly. There is probably something wrong in Comcast's database for the card, whether it be something in the info connected with your account, or something in the info for the card itself. A good Comcast tech can fix that info, but most will just try another card. It's the lack of authorization that means you can't get most channels.
2. Once a card is authorized correctly, then it can be paired. You've never gotten to this step with the bad card, since it was never authorized. The good card that's in the Roamio now is one that has been properly authorized, but is not paired at the moment.

Lack of pairing on Comcast means you'll get most channels, but won't get the premium channels like HBO, and in most markets won't get a few of the non-premium movie channels like the Encore channels.
Well crap! So, it's now sounding like I will need them to fully pair and authorize a card in my old Premiere as well as re-pair the card now in my Roamio.

Here's what I don't know if I get completely. This is how I understand things now:

Pairing seems to only be needed for Premium channels (which I don't use at this time).

Authorizing a card tells it what channels you are authorized to receive.

So, it seems you can have a card authorized and not paired and it will mostly work. But, when they program a card will it accept the authorizing command if it doesn't pair? That seems like what I'm running into so far.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #35
lessd

Quote:
Well crap! So, it's now sounding like I will need them to fully pair and authorize a card in my old Premiere as well as re-pair the card now in my Roamio.

Here's what I don't know if I get completely. This is how I understand things now:

Pairing seems to only be needed for Premium channels (which I don't use at this time).

So, it seems you can have a card authorized and not paired and it will mostly work. But, when they program a card will it accept the authorizing command if it doesn't pair? That seems like what I'm running into so far.
In my Comcast land (Hartford CT) a CC with the Val =? will work for about a month or six weeks than after that will only work on the network channels, than after about 3 month the CC will brick itself as it is not commutating with the Comcast head end, above the VAL line is the last date the card was poked by the cable co, with a paired card that date will change about every 3 or so days, with a non paired card that date will never change or have the word unknown.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #36
tarheelblue32

Quote:

I think that a CableCard is just authorized on your account, so once it is successfully authorized on your account you can use it in any CableCard devices connected to your cable company's network. Pairing is device specific and must be done anytime you insert a CableCard into a new device. Exactly which channels require pairing and which only require authorization varies from cable co. to cable co., but on Comcast it seems to be only the premium channels that require pairing in order to receive them.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #37
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I think that a CableCard is just authorized on your account, so once it is successfully authorized on your account you can use it in any CableCard devices connected to your cable company's network. Pairing is device specific and must be done anytime you insert a CableCard into a new device. Exactly which channels require pairing and which only require authorization varies from cable co. to cable co., but on Comcast it seems to be only the premium channels that require pairing in order to receive them.
BUT as I said above there is a time out on the CC (not paired) by Comcast Hartford CT. I have a paired CC in a guest bedroom (I leave the power off) and after a month or so the card will not work as a paired card until after about 3 days of power on, when it gets poked by Comcast, I could call Comcast and have them send a poke signal out to the cable card and than all works.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #38
rad1701

Thanks for all the info and comments gang - helps a lot. Ok, my new plan for my Comcast tech visit tomorrow, is to have them put a brand new cable card in my Roamio and get it paired and authorized. Then I will have them re-pair the one semi-good card I have that I'll move back to my Premiere. Should be tons of fun!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
Ziggie

Quote:
Thanks for all the info and comments gang - helps a lot. Ok, my new plan for my Comcast tech visit tomorrow, is to have them put a brand new cable card in my Roamio and get it paired and authorized. Then I will have them re-pair the one semi-good card I have that I'll move back to my Premiere. Should be tons of fun!
I just went through this yesterday. Ask upfront if they're going to charge you to pair a new card ~ our tech told us it would be $40

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #40
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
I just went through this yesterday. Ask upfront if they're going to charge you to pair a new card ~ our tech told us it would be $40
When I setup the appt. on the phone I asked if there would be a charge and they said no since they are saying the cable cards are not working/defective. But thanks for the advice. If they try to charge me I'll just threaten to switch to AT&T.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #41
celtic pride

I'm glad i don't have comcast I have verizon and when i got my premieres the tech came over with the 2 new cable cards and he paired the cards for me and i didn't have to pay anything! I just hope that if i ever get the roamio it goes just as smooth.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #42
rad1701

FIXED!!!

Ok, a couple things. The biggest problem turned out to be Comcast didn't have the Cable Card provisioned or setup in my account properly. So no amount of pairing attempts by me would fix that. The tech also dropped a new cable line to my TIVO box because he said the signal was a little low (I really think this didn't matter - but hey he was here so why not). Got both the Roamio and old Premiere unit paired properly and showing all the channels I should get now.

Time for my happy dance!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #43
tatergator1

Quote:
FIXED!!!

Ok, a couple things. The biggest problem turned out to be Comcast didn't have the Cable Card provisioned or setup in my account properly. So no amount of pairing attempts by me would fix that. The tech also dropped a new cable line to my TIVO box because he said the signal was a little low (I really think this didn't matter - but hey he was here so why not). Got both the Roamio and old Premiere unit paired properly and showing all the channels I should get now.

Time for my happy dance!
Once again, ineptitude by cable company support. Glad to hear it's working!
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #44
rad1701

Exactly. I think the key problem with many of these is that when you go to the office to pick up a cable card it seems they have to type in the "proper" info into the account so that later when you go to pair and authorize it that it all works right. Even though I saw the cable office people typing into their computers I don't think they enter much more than customer X gets cable card Y.

What I don't get it why the pairing people can't look at the account and fix all that? When the Comcast tech called in today that was the first thing they checked in my account. My lesson here I think is I'll just have Comcast come out and do all this crap if/when I need to do it again. Save me some headaches.

Last edited by rad1701 : 02-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #45
tarheelblue32

Quote:
My lesson here I think is I'll just have Comcast come out and do all this crap if/when I need to do it again. Save me some headaches.
Not necessarily. I've had some good experiences with techs and some bad experiences. If the tech is good, he can usually get everything fixed up and running smoothly. If he's incompetent (as many seem to be), then he could end up doing something to screw things up even worse. Since you never know what you're going to get in a tech, I always view having a tech come out as an absolute last resort.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #46
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Not necessarily. I've had some good experiences with techs and some bad experiences. If the tech is good, he can usually get everything fixed up and running smoothly. If he's incompetent (as many seem to be), then he could end up doing something to screw things up even worse. Since you never know what you're going to get in a tech, I always view having a tech come out as an absolute last resort.

True. The weird thing is this guy said he had only done like two cable cards in the last few years. But I think he knew what to ask Comcast on the phone to get things working right. Anyway, just happy I'm done with all this - for now at least.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #47
abbydancer

I've had both good and bad with techs as well. When I got my series 3, there were so many issues (I don't remember exactly what they were) that Comcast kept giving me credits.

When I got the HD, the tech came with the cable card for it, and then told me he had to remove the cards from the Series 3 for some reason. I said no, had him call, and he got the instructions.

For the Roamio, I installed it. It took two calls (first attempt hung for hours) but on the second call it paired correctly.
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote