TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
rad1701

New Roamio - install troubles

So, got my new Roamio Plus, hooked it all up, slipped in my Motorola Comcast provided cable card, did the guided setup and after two phone calls to Comcast to pair the card I still can't see any channels - none at all. Should I be able to see some channels even without the cable card paired properly? I just unhooked my old TIVO Premiere in the same spot so I know my cable line and ethernet work fine in the same spot. Any suggestions?
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
mattack

Well, you MIGHT be able to manually do a channel scan and find clear QAM channels that way -- but you won't get guide data, etc., until you get the cable card set up right.. (but you LIKELY should get at least the broadcast channels over cable with the cablecard even if it's not paired properly)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

It depends on your cable company and if your card is paired successfully. My cable company allows the majority of channels tunable without pairing and the HD and premium channels require pairing.

You should be able to go into the cable card setup in settings and tune individual channels to see if they come in, it really sounds like your cable card isn't paired correctly.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
rad1701

Well, I did a simple test and pulled my good and paired cable card out of my Premiere unit and put it in my new Roamio Plus. So, of course it works just fine. All tuners, all channels as far as I can tell. But since I want to still use my old Premiere I either have to keep calling Comcast and see if I can get them to pair the new card properly or maybe go pick up another cable card and try it. At least my local Comcast office is open on Saturdays.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
ncfoster

On my Comcast, the only channels that obviously required the Cablecard were the premiums like HBO and Showtime. All the standard stuff showed up fine. Other than the premiums, I have the lowest tier of digital, so for higher levels, it might affect more. And, of course, I think even Comcast varies by region how they do things.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad1701 View Post
So, got my new Roamio Plus, hooked it all up, slipped in my Motorola Comcast provided cable card, did the guided setup and after two phone calls to Comcast to pair the card I still can't see any channels - none at all. Should I be able to see some channels even without the cable card paired properly? I just unhooked my old TIVO Premiere in the same spot so I know my cable line and ethernet work fine in the same spot. Any suggestions?
Did you do the Guided Setup BEFORE installing and pairing the cable card and BUT not after?

Generally you run Guided Setup with "cable card installed later", after cable card was installed and paired properly, re-run Guided Setup.

Note, Guided Setup will not remove anything such as recordings, channels, season passes, it only will add the channels authorized.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Did you do the Guided Setup BEFORE installing and pairing the cable card and BUT not after?

Generally you run Guided Setup with "cable card installed later", after cable card was installed and paired properly, re-run Guided Setup.

Note, Guided Setup will not remove anything such as recordings, channels, season passes, it only will add the channels authorized.
Not understanding why running Guided setup another time will help me? I know the cable card is not paired (especially since the Roamio works fine if I slip in my other cable card). But hey, I will give it a try.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Well, I did a simple test and pulled my good and paired cable card out of my Premiere unit and put it in my new Roamio Plus. So, of course it works just fine. All tuners, all channels as far as I can tell. But since I want to still use my old Premiere I either have to keep calling Comcast and see if I can get them to pair the new card properly or maybe go pick up another cable card and try it. At least my local Comcast office is open on Saturdays.
I went through four cable cards to get two working ones. It seems Comcast has no way to test cable cards and simply re-issues them as customers turn them in.

On my last trip, needing one cable card, I asked for two. First one didn't work, second one did. On my next trip to town I returned the extra card that didn't work.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
rad1701

Yeah, I think it's the card. Does it matter what screen you are looking at when they try to pair the cable card? Both times I've tried I was looking at that Cable Card decoder screen with all the ID info they need.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
rad1701

Almost thought I had it with this cable card. I have some channels now after calling again to get it paired (3rd attempt at that). But missing channels and have a value in this field that says, AUTH: NS.
Which according to the TIVO help area says: The card is not staged and incorrectly paired. You will probably see errors in Con and Val as well, and the CableCARD might be missing critical firmware. Call the cable provider to resolve this issue.

So, I guess it's time to run to the Comcast office for a new cable card. Sigh...
Old 02-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Any chance you gave them the wrong numbers for the pairing? Card info might be right but perhaps a typo on the other relating to the Tivo it's self?
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
kbmb

With Comcast I have experienced where the card needs to be both activated and paired. If you put in a card that isn't even active then you get nothing. If you activate and don't pair, then generally you get non premium channels fine until you pair it.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Tom Pich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
With Comcast I have experienced where the card needs to be both activated and paired. If you put in a card that isn't even active then you get nothing. If you activate and don't pair, then generally you get non premium channels fine until you pair it.

-Kevin
Kevin is correct. OP, Your CableCard is not activated or it is defective.
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
rad1701

Got two more cable cards today from Comcast. Still can't get either to work right. Biggest issue seems to be missing my HD channels in the HD package range. A tech is schedueled now to come out on Tuesday. This is frankly a pain in the a$$. My previous TIVO's seemed to pair and setup much easier than the Roamio for some reason.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
cherry ghost

Quote:
Got two more cable cards today from Comcast. Still can't get either to work right. Biggest issue seems to be missing my HD channels in the HD package range. A tech is schedueled now to come out on Tuesday. This is frankly a pain in the a$$. My previous TIVO's seemed to pair and setup much easier than the Roamio for some reason.

It's not paired properly. What are you seeing on the Conditional Access screen?

Val: V

or

Val: ?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

This might seem a long shot which you stated the cable was good but have you check the signal strength? I had a Tivo that I couldn't get the cards paired correctly due to a poor quality drop, I think you can check the signal strength without the card being paired. Perhaps the new Roamio has a coax problem or even try a different cable from the wall to the box.

With the number of cards you have gone through, it might be time to double check the basics that are easily dismissed.
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
This might seem a long shot which you stated the cable was good but have you check the signal strength? I had a Tivo that I couldn't get the cards paired correctly due to a poor quality drop, I think you can check the signal strength without the card being paired. Perhaps the new Roamio has a coax problem or even try a different cable from the wall to the box.

With the number of cards you have gone through, it might be time to double check the basics that are easily dismissed.
Just to add to this.....people have also reported the opposite. If the signal was too hot (100% signal and 43+ SNR) the cards wouldn't pair.

Check your signal levels, if it's too hot, throw a splitter or two before it and get the levels down and try again.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
rad1701

Signal strength 96%. I really thought one of the two new cable cards I got took care of it, but it gave me only some of my channels. It's weird. It's almost like Comcast is sending the wrong signal.

But the strangest thing (like I said previously) is I took my working cable card again from my Premiere and put it in my Roamio and all works perfectly (all tuners, all channels, can even stream fine too). Didn't even need to re-pair it or anything. Do you usually have to re-pair cards if you move them to a new device?

I had one idea this morning. I was thinking of trying one of the new cable cards in my TIVO premiere now and seeing if Comcast can pair it easier in my Premiere than my Roamio. Anyone think that would be worth trying or should I just wait for the tech to come on Tuesday?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #19
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just to add to this.....people have also reported the opposite. If the signal was too hot (100% signal and 43+ SNR) the cards wouldn't pair.

Check your signal levels, if it's too hot, throw a splitter or two before it and get the levels down and try again.

-Kevin
This might be the case, try a spitting the cable....
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #20
cherry ghost

Quote:
Signal strength 96%. I really thought one of the two new cable cards I got took care of it, but it gave me only some of my channels. It's weird. It's almost like Comcast is sending the wrong signal.

But the strangest thing (like I said previously) is I took my working cable card again from my Premiere and put it in my Roamio and all works perfectly (all tuners, all channels, can even stream fine too). Didn't even need to re-pair it or anything. Do you usually have to re-pair cards if you move them to a new device?

I had one idea this morning. I was thinking of trying one of the new cable cards in my TIVO premiere now and seeing if Comcast can pair it easier in my Premiere than my Roamio. Anyone think that would be worth trying or should I just wait for the tech to come on Tuesday?

You need to re-pair if you have premium channels - HBO, Showtime

What does the Conditional Access screen show?

What's the error message on the HD channels that aren't coming in?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
rad1701

It wasn't a premium channel problem (don't have any premiums) - it was my HD extra preferred channel package (like USAHD, TNTHD, TBSHD, etc). The error message on the channels that wouldn't come in was just that typical you are not authorized for this channel, contact your cable company with a phone number listed. The conditional access screen showed a few different things depending on the cable card. The AUTH: section has said FWK when I wasn't getting all the channels. It also has said MP.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #22
cherry ghost

What does it show after

Val:
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #23
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
What does it show after

Val:
V
Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
worachj

Maybe you could try the automated activation and enable the card yourself. Sometimes they have fat fingers and can't type correctly.

Automated Activation Line: 1-800-671-9094

Online Activation
Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
rad1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Maybe you could try the automated activation and enable the card yourself. Sometimes they have fat fingers and can't type correctly.

Automated Activation Line: 1-800-671-9094

Online Activation
WOW! Didn't know you could do this. What is the better way. The phone number here or the online method??
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
moonscape

I have Comcast and a Motorola card which I first tried to have paired day before yesterday. Two different efforts were made, then I called tech support which tried again. I was getting lower channels but no HD ones, and no Premium.

Called again in the morning and got a 4th tech who did it properly and I was good to go. He said something about the prior ones not having done things in the right order. Now - I called the special number, and you'd think this would be pretty straightforward. I've not had issues with my other cable cards but this time got unlucky with the techs.

I'd keep calling until you get someone who can pair it properly.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
rad1701

Well, tried the 2 cable cards in my Tivo Premiere - same end results (only some channels showing). That online activation or automated activation doesn't seem to apply to cable cards (only for internet activation) so I worked with a lady on the phone again. At this point, I'm just going to have to let the tech coming this Tuesday get it to work.

P.S. I'm just a little happy my previously paired card that was in my Premiere Tivo seems to work perfectly fine in my new Roamio. Now I guess I just need a card for my Premiere.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
rad1701

Ok, the screen below is what my WORKING cable card shows. This is the one I moved to my Roamio unit that I have used for years now. What's odd, is this screen looks similar to what the cards that wouldn't work showed.

Again - this screen is from the one card that works. Now, I just need one more good card for my old Premiere unit too.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #29
moonscape

When my card wasn't working, I had 'Auth: FWK' also (before that it was MP ... missing packets), and after Val I had a 'V' which I was told one should have.

Once my card was properly paired, I had 'Auth: S'

Interesting.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #30
lessd

Quote:
Ok, the screen below is what my WORKING cable card shows. This is the one I moved to my Roamio unit that I have used for years now. What's odd, is this screen looks similar to what the cards that wouldn't work showed.

Again - this screen is from the one card that works. Now, I just need one more good card for my old Premiere unit too.

With Val=? the card is not paired, will work for a month or so than stop, and you can't get HBO type channels, Comcast CT