TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
VickiK3275

Tivo Mini and Analog TV

I have a TIVO Premiere 4 with 2 DVR boxes on my HDTV's. I also have an older small SONY analog TV. Will a TIVO Mini work on that small analog TV? My TIVO is connected using a MOCA.

VickiK3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
convergent

Does the TV have composite or component inputs? If so, I would think it would work fine. The Mini has composite, component, and HDMI outputs.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

It'll work with an analog TV, but you have to buy the composite (or component) breakout cables separately:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It'll work with an analog TV, but you have to buy the composite (or component) breakout cables separately:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable
Or save a few bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Mini-3f...item418c2aa184

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
VickiK3275

The Sony Trinitron 9" TV has a video in and an audio in jack in the back. The manual shows a cable that you have to get separately that has two jacks on one end (audio and video) and then three jacks on the other end that you can plus into a video recorder. The cable they show is a VMC-920MS. Will that work with the TIVO mini?

VickiK3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiK3275 View Post
The Sony Trinitron 9" TV has a video in and an audio in jack in the back. The manual shows a cable that you have to get separately that has two jacks on one end (audio and video) and then three jacks on the other end that you can plus into a video recorder. The cable they show is a VMC-920MS. Will that work with the TIVO mini?
It should work, but in addition to the TiVo breakout cables, you'll also probably need to buy a composite A/V coupler to connect the breakout cable to the VMC-920MS cable.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiK3275 View Post
It looks like your TV only has mono audio, so an adapter similar to the following, used in conjunction w/ the TiVo AV breakout cable (linked above), should get you where you want to be:
RCA Mono Male to Two RCA Stereo Female
edit: p.s. For the record, even a TV with only an antenna/coax input isn't out-of-reach for the latest TiVos. You'd just need to add a RF modulator to convert the composite signal to RF channel 3 or 4. (for example)

Last edited by krkaufman; 07-30-2015 at 06:36 PM.
krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
thefisch

I have a similar situation with an old toshiba 32 inch tv. This tv has component inputs in addition to composite, but I don't think those old tv's can do 720p. So I suspect that the component may yield 480p as opposed to the 480i you get with the composite connection. Wouldn't be worth buying component in that case if it didn't already come with the composite.

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
I have a similar situation with an old toshiba 32 inch tv. This tv has component inputs in addition to composite, but I don't think those old tv's can do 720p. So I suspect that the component may yield 480p as opposed to the 480i you get with the composite connection. Wouldn't be worth buying component in that case if it didn't already come with the composite.
Just set the Mini for only 1080i output. Then it will scale everything to 1080i before being output. At least this is how it works over HDMI. So I would expect it to do the same thing with component.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote