Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #91
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Also, why is Ferguson essentially left out of all of these conversations? Is it because people just don't like his show, or because it's so different?
Because we're primarily talking about the flagship late night shows for each network (Leno, Letterman, Kimmel), and since Fallon is now replacing Leno, he's been included, and since Seth Meyers is replacing Fallon, there's been some talk of him as well. But generally, there's not much talk of the JV late night shows.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #92
argicida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
He hasn't been on at 11:30. That show started at midnight.
On the DirecTV schedule it sure did look like 11:30 Eastern but I didn't screen shot it so I'm not sure.
argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #93
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
On the DirecTV schedule it sure did look like 11:30 Eastern but I didn't screen shot it so I'm not sure.
I don't know or care what it said on the DirecTV schedule, I'm telling you how it was in reality. It's also mentioned in the very article you linked to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #94
argicida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
No, he drew better than normal Tonight Show numbers.

Fallon pulled a 2.2 in demo, which better than almost all of NBC's primetime lineup (not counting the Olympics).

Of course, he was following the Olympics so a better test will be a few weeks after the Olympics.

As a contrast, Leno's second Tonight Show finale scored 3.8 in demo.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...viewers-678358
Good numbers for "Late night" but a drop off from recent Tonight Show numbers. it will certainly be interesting to compare the numbers in couple of weeks when things are more "normal."
Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #95
argicida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't know or care what it said on the DirecTV schedule, I'm telling you how it was in reality. It's also mentioned in the very article you linked to.
No need to be unpleasant about it - I said I said I could be wrong and that line in the article suggests I was wrong. Not the first time I've been wrong this week.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #96
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I wonder the same thing about Fox News.
You couldn't resist trolling, could you?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #97
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
You couldn't resist trolling, could you?
I couldn't resist responding to someone trolling. I shouldn't have.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #98
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Fallon's first Tonight Show is tomorrow. Who will watch? I think I will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #99
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I hope Fred does his Lawrence Welk character while band leader.
I'm actually hoping more for Fericito.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #100
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Actually, you "responded" (and WhiskeyTango called you on it) to a quote you shortened and distorted.

The original, complete sentence that you responded to was:
Quote:
I wonder how many viewers of TDS watch it as a news source rather than a talk show.
But YOU edited that sentence to:
Quote:
I wonder how many viewers of TDS watch it as a news source.
The first quote raises what might be a legitimate concern--viewers who treat Jon Stewart's comedy show as news, rather than a comedy show with a humorous take on topical items.

Your edited quote creates the impression that the poster was trying to deride TDS because it wasn't a news broadcast. Of course, the accurate quote would not give you the same springboard to launch into a snide, off topic post about another news outlet that wasn't being discussed at all.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #101
Ozzie72

Quote:
I wonder the same thing about Fox News.
From way downtown...BANG!
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #102
sean67854
Why?

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Wow, dude, you really thought I was trolling? I honestly thought you had a better opinion of me, but I guess I was wrong.

My "trolling" was an honest question because I have repeatedly gotten into conversations at work about politics and current events and people will say "I heard on the daily show ....".

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #103
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Wow, dude, you really thought I was trolling? I honestly thought you had a better opinion of me, but I guess I was wrong.

My "trolling" was an honest question because I have repeatedly gotten into conversations at work about politics and current events and people will say "I heard on the daily show ....".
Well, I have the same question as Turtleboy, because I myself have often gotten into conversations about politics and current events and people say to me, "I heard on Fox News ...". This makes me wonder how many viewers of Fox News watch it as a news source rather than as entertainment (I'm actually not kidding: I honestly really do wonder about this). I think this is a legitimate question, too, MikeCC: certainly just as legitimate as sean67854's question.

But of course both questions are irrelevant and off-topic in this thread: there was no discussion of news programs in any way before sean67854 brought it up, and the single remark related to TDS prior to that put it clearly in the category of talk show. The news comment was out of left field and without context: that was where the thread went off-topic, not Turtleboy's response.

Of course, now we're all off-topic...
Old 02-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #104
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Was planning to watch Fallon's first show but forgot. Just turned it on to see U2 doing a concert on top of 30 Rock. Hopefully I'll be able to find the rest of the show online somewhere. For those that did watch, how was it?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #105
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

It felt pretty much just like his Late Night show. For some reason, the set seemed really small. Pretty good start.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:03 AM   #106
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
It felt pretty much just like his Late Night show. For some reason, the set seemed really small. Pretty good start.
If it's back in one of the studios at 30 Rock (like where Conan used to be and where Fallon was previously), then it is a very small studio so it would make sense that the set would seem small.

Edit: Yep, his new show is in Studio 6B at 30 Rock, which is the same studio where Jack Paar and Johnny Carson did Tonight when it was still in New York. And Fallon's "Late Night" has been in 6B as well, although he's primarily been in 6A, which is where Letterman and Conan's versions of Late Night were, as well.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 02-18-2014 at 01:12 AM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 AM   #107
JYoung
Series 3

I'm watching the local ABC station News broadcast and Jimmy Kimmel walked on the set and relieved the sportscaster and completed his segment.

Of course, he plugged his show at the end.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #108
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
The parade of celebs who came out to pay off the bet was funny.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #109
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
And Fallon's "Late Night" has been in 6B as well, although he's primarily been in 6A, which is where Letterman and Conan's versions of Late Night were, as well.
This is just splitting all kinds of hairs, I admit... but wasn't Fallon in 6B for virtually all of Late Night's history? As I understand it, they moved him to 6A very recently so that they could renovate it for Tonight.

Overall, a good debut, but they had a week to prepare for it. I am concerned about the quality of his monologue and comedy bits, but he seems to be a good interviewer. (I watched Ferguson at 12:30 and will assuredly stick with Colbert at 11:30.)

Edit: I meant all of his "Late Night's" history. Dave and Conan were 6A.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you

Last edited by lambertman : 02-18-2014 at 09:27 AM.
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #110
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I noticed that the show is called "The Tonight Show, Starring Jimmy Fallon" as opposed to "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno."

It was "with" Conan O'Brien too, but "starring" Johnny Carson, Jack Parr, and Steve Allen.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #111
Alfer
WOOSAH!

It was a pretty good start. Too bad they got such a lame first guest (Will Smith). U2 did a nice job. I may DVR a few more eps to see what kind of spin he puts on the old iconic show.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #112
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I've been a Dave fan ever since his daytime show (anyone else remember that?) but I can't imagine his show doing well against Jimmy Fallon.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #113
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
The issue, of course, is that the entire metrics of measuring is changing. Are they measuring the amount of people who watch one show live on TV as it is broadcast vs. the other?

I think Fallon understands that people watch clips online. I'm not sure how they are going to monetize that though.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #114
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
This makes me wonder how many viewers of Fox News watch it as a news source rather than as entertainment (...)
Clearly the vast majority of people who watch Fox News view it as a source of news, just like the vast majority of people who watch CNN view it as a source of news.

It is so obvious that to suggest anything else is to open yourself up to a claim of "trolling"....not to mention the implicit suggestion that Fox News should not be taken seriously. There are other threads for non-political political discussions. I don't think this is one of them.
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #115
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
The issue, of course, is that the entire metrics of measuring is changing. Are they measuring the amount of people who watch one show live on TV as it is broadcast vs. the other?

I think Fallon understands that people watch clips online. I'm not sure how they are going to monetize that though.
A NY Times story on Fallon's first night reflects on this.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #116
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
I noticed that the show is called "The Tonight Show, Starring Jimmy Fallon" as opposed to "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno."

It was "with" Conan O'Brien too, but "starring" Johnny Carson, Jack Parr, and Steve Allen.
I read an article about that last week which said Fallon wanted it to be "starring" as a tribute of sorts to Carson & Parr. Not sure I completely believe that, but that's what it said.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #117
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

First show was good. U2 on top of 30 Rockefeller Plaza at sunset looked absolutely fantastic. All the cameos of people paying Jimmy $100 was funny. How many of them will turn up later in the week as guests?

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #118
Amnesia
The Question

I wonder if he'll go back to the standard format of monologue-bit-guest-guest-music...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #119
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
This is just splitting all kinds of hairs, I admit... but wasn't Fallon in 6B for virtually all of Late Night's history? As I understand it, they moved him to 6A very recently so that they could renovate it for Tonight.
I'm sure you're right. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it showed that Late Night with Jimmy Fallon had been shot in both 6A and 6B. It didn't have dates for each. I've always gathered that the two studios are virtually identical.

I also read that Seth Meyers' new show will shoot in 8G, which is directly above 6B. They were afraid of sound bleed between the two studios, because the steel frame of the building would transfer the sound. So the way they are going to combat this is to have the two shows shoot 90 minutes apart. Fallon will shoot at 5 pm and Meyers at 6:30 pm.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #120
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I've been a Dave fan ever since his daytime show (anyone else remember that?) but I can't imagine his show doing well against Jimmy Fallon.
I think that Fallon's going to have more competition from Kimmel and Stewart than Letterman.

I'm not going to threadcrap the other thread but color me unimpressed with Fallon's debut.

It was pretty much as I expected with no real monologue (it basically amounted to "I'm Jimmy Fallon and I can't believe that I'm hosting the Tonight Show" and doing obvious jokes about Olympic athletes photos).

The paying off the bet bit was very funny though (a number of Michaels' staple guests, I noticed) and the dance with Will Smith was amusing but the interview was basically the two of them pounding each other on the back.

The rooftop concert with U2 was interesting and brings up images of the Beatles performing on the roof of Apple Records.

But other than some of the people who payed off the bet, no real surprises here.

(Oh, and the studio does look small.)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote