TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
gweempose

HBO GO vs. Xfinity On Demand

I streamed my first episode of Game of Thrones through the TiVo last night. Prior to this, I had watched all the episodes via HBO GO on my Roku. I was surprised to see that the Xfinity version had a "Previously on Game of Thrones" segment at the beginning. This is not the case with the HBO GO version, but I assume it is included when the show airs live each week. Given all the stuff going on in this show, the recap definitely comes in handy. Interestingly, Xfinity inserted a commercial for "Silicon Valley" at the beginning. I was able to fast forward through it, however, so it was no big deal.

As for the picture quality, they both look good, but I think the HBO GO version may be a bit sharper. I'm not sure which I prefer at this point, but it's always nice to have choices.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
DUDE_NJX

HBO GO pushed a SV trailer before a show for me, too. I wish the HBO GO app had live streaming of at least the main HBO channel.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The lack of a "previously on" is something I've noticed too as I switch between VOD and Apple TV + HBO Go when watching other shows on HBO. Kind of weird.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
midas
I heard that

I always hate the 'previously on'. There may be a character you haven't seen for 3 or 4 episodes, but they always telegraph that they'll make an appearance by showing something in the 'previously on'. Even fast forwarding through them doesn't solve the problem.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
gweempose

I just streamed a second episode of GoT via the TiVo, and this time there wasn't an ad for "Silicon Valley". In fact, there wasn't any ad at all. It went straight to "Previously on ..." I wish you could use 30 second skip. I pressed the button, and it jumped all the way to the end. D'oh! At least it allowed me to fast forward though GoT. This was not the case with Cosmos.
(3) Minis

Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I just streamed a second episode of GoT via the TiVo, and this time there wasn't an ad for "Silicon Valley". In fact, there wasn't any ad at all. It went straight to "Previously on ..." I wish you could use 30 second skip. I pressed the button, and it jumped all the way to the end. D'oh! At least it allowed me to fast forward though GoT. This was not the case with Cosmos.
Streamed from where?

On Demand is NOT streaming, it is exactly the same as any other cable channel.. they just 'make' the cable channel for you then and there..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Streamed from where?

On Demand is NOT streaming, it is exactly the same as any other cable channel.. they just 'make' the cable channel for you then and there..
It may not be internet IP based, but VOD is still a form of streaming. Regardless, I only said "streamed" in order to indicate that I was watching the show via an external feed as opposed to my TiVo's hard drive.
(3) Minis

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
mattack

No, VOD IS NOT STREAMING IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD AT ALL.

If VOD is "streaming", then watching EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL on your TV or Tivo is streaming too, because that's EXACTLY the same.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
gweempose

Thanks for educating all of us.
(3) Minis

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I streamed my first episode of Game of Thrones through the TiVo last night. Prior to this, I had watched all the episodes via HBO GO on my Roku. I was surprised to see that the Xfinity version had a "Previously on Game of Thrones" segment at the beginning. This is not the case with the HBO GO version, but I assume it is included when the show airs live each week. Given all the stuff going on in this show, the recap definitely comes in handy. Interestingly, Xfinity inserted a commercial for "Silicon Valley" at the beginning. I was able to fast forward through it, however, so it was no big deal. As for the picture quality, they both look good, but I think the HBO GO version may be a bit sharper. I'm not sure which I prefer at this point, but it's always nice to have choices.
Directv on demand doesn't show either. Fios has the Silicon Valley promo and the previously.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No, VOD IS NOT STREAMING IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD AT ALL.

If VOD is "streaming", then watching EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL on your TV or Tivo is streaming too, because that's EXACTLY the same.
My HBO VOD is definitely streaming. I have DirecTV. It slowly fills a buffer while you are watching. You can only fast-forward to the end of the buffer.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
mattack

OK, I was assuming this was talking about on a TiVo. Can the HD DirecTivos do On Demand? If so, then I guess I'm wrong.

I'm right regarding *On Demand* (not HBO On Demand) from Comcast on a Tivo.