TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
SnakeEyes

Copying shows from HD to Roamio

I have a TiVo HD with a considerable number of shows that I won't be able to watch prior to the arrival of my new Roamio. I only have one cable card. Is it possible to transfer shows between them if one box does not have a cable card? Will the TiVo HD still communicate/transfer even if it's one of the cable card setup screen because it doesnt have a card?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Laggan

I just did exactly that, moving from my Series 3 to a Roamio. The Series 3 takes two cable cards, so I was going to leave one in the Series 3 (with the exact concern you have) and move the other to the Roamio. However, Comcast had trouble pairing the card to my Roamio (shocking, I know) and they ended up having me pull the second one to try.

Anyway, to get to your point, I was able to transfer all of my existing recordings off of the Series 3 with no cable card in it. It appears, as long as both Tivos are plugged into the same network, the Roamio will find the HD and will transfer the shows just fine.

The only bad news is, it is a painfully slow and tedious process that will soon have you considering just how badly you want to see each show.
Laggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
mattack

The Tivos both need to be subscribed, both need to be on the same account (have the same MAK), and be on the same network... and the shows have to be non-copy-protected.

You MIGHT have better luck doing it with kmttg, to download to a computer drive, then copy (or you can even 'push', but I've never personally done that) back to the other Tivo with pytivo. Ironically, in many (most?) cases, you actually get BETTER metadata (show info, show original air date, episode #, etc) with kmttg than directly between Tivos.. Plus you can start them en masse.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
shadoh

Perhaps my experience is unique, but I did almost exactly as you describe, and it was absolutely painless.

I had a Series 3 HD (bedroom) and HD XL (family room). The plan was to get a new Roamio for the family room, move the HD XL to the bedroom, and sell off the HD.

After I got my Roamio up and running, I temporarily had 3 TiVos on my network. My Roamio happily displayed both my old ones on the My Shows list (the new "Now Playing"). I was able to browse both of them without issue, and transfer them all without issue. I transferred approximately 30 hours of HD content and had zero issues. Regarding it being "painfully slow," that was not my experience. Immediately after it confirmed the first program was going to start transferring, it showed up on my list with a couple of minutes already transferred. Just to be safe, I would queue up 3 or 4 at a time instead of going through my entire catalog at once. Again, no issue. As I said, I'd queue up 3 or 4 of them, start watching something else, and by the time I finished watching that program, all the items I queued had completed. So, I'd move on to 3 or 4 more, a few at a time, until I was done.

I will say, a majority of the items I was transferring was from the HD XL to the Roamio, and both are connected to Ethernet, so that might be why I had such a high success rate. The HD is on a TiVo wireless adapter - luckily, I only had about 4 programs to transfer off of that one, but even that one went alright. For that one, I queued them up overnight, and by the next morning, they were done (I didn't worry exactly how much time it took, I just verified they had transferred successfully).

So, as I said, perhaps my experience is unique, but for me, it worked exactly as designed, and my experience was flawless. (FYI, I did all this with no CableCARD connected to either the HD or HD XL).
shadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
mattack

Yes, but you had to do it ONE SHOW AT A TIME. 30 hours really isn't that many.. some of us have HUNDREDS of shows on our Tivos...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote