TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
c133roamioerrors

Help - my microwave zaps my roamio

My microwave oven in the kitchen raises havoc with my wireless router which is in a bedroom about 25 feet away. I have my roamio connected with an extender into the ethernet. My laptop loses the wireless connection but gets it back quickly. The roamio doesn't without intervention.
I had a xl4 in the same room as the roamio for a year with none of these issues. I've had the microwave longer than any TiVo.

Any suggesions? Is the roamio that finicky?
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
jcthorne

Use a moca or wired ethernet connection. Do not use wireless for the roamio, you will fight with it until you give up. Wireless is just not stable enough for a good tivo experience.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Gary-B

If your microwave is leaking that much, your wireless is the least of your worries. For you health replace the microwave. I had some wireless cameras at a traffic intersection and the microwave at the 7-11 would kill video, had the microwave checked and the the leakage levels were a health hazard and they replaced it that afternoon.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
worachj

You can try changing the channel number the router is using. If its using a low channel number like 1 try changing it 11.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
If your microwave is leaking that much, your wireless is the least of your worries. For you health replace the microwave. I had some wireless cameras at a traffic intersection and the microwave at the 7-11 would kill video, had the microwave checked and the the leakage levels were a health hazard and they replaced it that afternoon.
Ditto -- from a retired RF Engineer.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
If your microwave is leaking that much, your wireless is the least of your worries. For you health replace the microwave.
you could test the microwave for leakage before replacement - depending on the cost of the detector verses the expense of the new microwave, it might be worth a try.

the microwave may not be the only problem, just contributing to an existing issue - for example, there might already be interference around your wireless network, and the microwave is adding just enough extra interference to cause trouble. try switching from 2.4ghz to 5ghz if your existing equipment supports both. there's usually less interference at 5ghz, especially microwaves.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by c133roamioerrors View Post
My microwave oven in the kitchen raises havoc with my wireless router
Take your router out of the microwave .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Use a moca or wired ethernet connection. Do not use wireless for the roamio, you will fight with it until you give up. Wireless is just not stable enough for a good tivo experience.
I'm using wireless for my Roamio basic and it works fine. My second guided setup did not work so I called TiVo. The CSR kept having me switch back and forth between wired, wireless, routed, unrouted. Turns out the TiVo system was having a problem that morning. Once they resolved their issues I went through guided setup without a hitch. It turns out my Roamio was on wireless and has worked without a hitch since then. Not so my Premiere which wound up wired and on the SDUI.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

USe the 5Ghz wireless for the Roamio or replace the Microwave. In my condo none of my 2.4Ghz devices are affected when I use my microwave. I can still use them while the microwave is on. Although I do use 5Ghz with the majority of my wireless devices. Including my Roamio Basic.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
c133roamioerrors

I've been a computer programmer for forty years. When I first started, a senior programmer chastised me for not reading the manual. I still don't like to. I knew there were router settings that could be changed. I have netgear genie, but couldn't figure out how to change the settings. I also had some wireless issues with my PC.
I decided to spend $129.95 for a year of netgear gearhead support, which covers the router and everything attached to it, including my pcs and Tivos.
The support person changed the channel from auto to 11 and doubled the speed.
I'll see how it goes. Things seemed to work ok except for a power outage.
I have some other pc related issues and for the next year I can avoid brain cramps.
I function fine when there is an intuitive user interface and did ok under DOS when I was in control. For Windows you seem to need to know the secret handshake and I don't want to be bothered.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote