TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
jauburn

Premiere XL4 - first impression not good

So I went ahead and got the top-of-the-line Tivo, looking forward to the additional space and tuners. What I didn't expect, though, is an attribute of the device that will make me send it back: the horribly slow user interface. The device updated itself to the latest version of the software, so I can only assume that this is the best that Tivo can do.

The slowness of moving around, watching the screen redraw, is intolerable. What are these Tivo folks thinking?

The Series 3 UI is faster, much faster. The one is not ready for my living room. Buyer beware.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I have one on order, due to arrive Tuesday. But I'll give it some time not only to load the latest updates, but compile data and cache. I'm expecting it'll be fine...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
compnurd

especially being a new box, it will take a good 24 hours to settle down... but if you however were expecting the HD interface to be as fast as the SD then it wont. I have no speed issues with the HD interface but it is not as fast as SD
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
jcthorne

The first 24 hours the interface is very slow as the tivo builds its guide info and databases. It should improve markedly after that.

The HD interface was indeed slow when the Premiere was launched but with the last few updates, I have no problem with it anymore.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
jauburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
especially being a new box, it will take a good 24 hours to settle down... but if you however were expecting the HD interface to be as fast as the SD then it wont. I have no speed issues with the HD interface but it is not as fast as SD
That's not acceptable to me. The SD interface was more than slow enough. Tivo could have improved the processor enough to draw the screens tolerably. The device is going back. Big boo for tivo. Newer is supposed to be better. This is not.

Last edited by jauburn : 12-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauburn View Post
That's not acceptable to me. The SD interface was more than slow enough. Tivo could have improved the processor enough to draw the screens tolerably. The device is going back. Big boo for tivo. Newer is supposed to be better. This is not.
Ok See ya later! I have no issues with my two premieres and there speed
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
jauburn

Update: turns out one can select the old SD menus on the new tivo. Now I will reconsider.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I had the SD menu selected on my XL4 until just recently due to the reports of the slower menu. I switched and did notice the menus seem slightly slower than the SD menus, but that feeling went away quickly and I am not sure I could go back to the SD menus anymore. The feature of the HD menus (especially in the To-Do list and Season Pass manager) are a huge positive over the slight speed difference of the menus.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The SDUI on my Elite is roughly the same speed as my old HDs. The HDUI is slower, but has so many good features now it's worth the sacrifice IMO. Just wish we could've disabled the useless Discovery bar, but Tivo has to sell crap even though we pay for service.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
DubVBenz

Quote:
So I went ahead and got the top-of-the-line Tivo, looking forward to the additional space and tuners. What I didn't expect, though, is an attribute of the device that will make me send it back: the horribly slow user interface. The device updated itself to the latest version of the software, so I can only assume that this is the best that Tivo can do.

The slowness of moving around, watching the screen redraw, is intolerable. What are these Tivo folks thinking?

The Series 3 UI is faster, much faster. The one is not ready for my living room. Buyer beware.
Yea, these things are total junk. I won't be renewing my service.
DubVBenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
compnurd

Quote:
Update: turns out one can select the old SD menus on the new tivo. Now I will reconsider.
Quite honestly... you probably should have done more research on here prior to purchasing... you would have found that out on the countless threads here
Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
jrtroo
User

I imagine the SD will be slow initially as well. Seems consistent with my experience with each new tivo. It also seems consistent with the information provided to the user during initial set up. But, that is just me.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

The HDUI seems to be a bit slower on a 4 tuner box compared to a 2 tuner. Not sure why. Perhaps the extra overhead of the 2 extra streams recording.

However if you really hate the new UI there is still the option of using the old UI and it's just as fats, if not faster, then the S3 units.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The HDUI seems to be a bit slower on a 4 tuner box compared to a 2 tuner. Not sure why. Perhaps the extra overhead of the 2 extra streams recording.

However if you really hate the new UI there is still the option of using the old UI and it's just as fats, if not faster, then the S3 units.

Dan
I've had my 4 tuner for about a month now and either its sped up or I've adjusted. Don't notice the difference between it and my old PremiereXL at all.

I love my Premieres in all incarnations... would never use the SD menus again. I'm spoiled now.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
I've had my 4 tuner for about a month now and either its sped up or I've adjusted. Don't notice the difference between it and my old PremiereXL at all.

I love my Premieres in all incarnations... would never use the SD menus again. I'm spoiled now.
This has been my experience with my new TP4 as well. I haven't noticed any slowness in comparison to the 2-tuner Premiere. I wonder if the cable provider is a factor in why some find their units more sluggish.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
This has been my experience with my new TP4 as well. I haven't noticed any slowness in comparison to the 2-tuner Premiere. I wonder if the cable provider is a factor in why some find their units more sluggish.
It could be the ISP or DNS servers also. These units like quick DNS servers
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
jauburn

Quote:

Dan
I found that out. I'm happily using the SD menus. They're a tad snappier than with the S3 (as they should be).
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
mpnret

I am really not pleased with the new XL-4 speed either but am willing to live with it to get the 4 tuners and all the other great features. I tried the SD interface and found it a litttle faster but lacking many features. It's been awhile now but I think not being able to tell if a show was recording when looking at the guide was one. Maybe not being to tell if a show was new or not in the guide was another. I know there was a few issues but my memory is blurred since I went back to HD interface. One thing I find particularly annoying that I have to use often is the "input" button to step the TV through the different inputs. It's so slow on the TiVo remote but very quick on the TV remote. Here is a copy of my review from Amazon:
"This DVR has so many great features but OMG the lack of speed. My Comcast DVR which sits right next to it is much faster and a pleasure to use. For example if you want to select another input on the TV using the tivo remote you have to select "input" multiple times with a long pause in between each press. Most things on the XL4 are that way press a button then pause before pressing the next one. The Comcast DVR has a much more natural feel. I sure hope they can speed this thing up with some kind of update. Other than that everything is good especially the 4 tuners. My 3 star rating will be upgraded if they fix the speed."
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
SullyND
L: 28-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
For example if you want to select another input on the TV using the tivo remote you have to select "input" multiple times with a long pause in between each press.
The pause is a function of your TV, not the TiVo.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
"...For example if you want to select another input on the TV using the tivo remote you have to select "input" multiple times with a long pause in between each press. "
Since the speed of the DVR has absolutely nothing to do with this, I wouldn't put much credence in this review.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
The pause is a function of your TV, not the TiVo.
No it is not. It is the TiVo remote causing the delay. If I use the TV remote or one of my 2 Harmony remotes there is no pause.

Last edited by mpnret : 12-16-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Since the speed of the DVR has absolutely nothing to do with this, I wouldn't put much credence in this review.
ok, fanboy, read my post above.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
ok, fanboy, read my post above.
Sorry troll, my usual policy is DNFTEC.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
compnurd

Quote:
+1
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #25
mpnret

Quote:
Sorry troll, my usual policy is DNFTEC.
I guess any one that makes a valid point that doesn't agree with you is a troll.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

You should try a different remote code. Some times the first code that "works" isn't the best one. Try the others there might be one that can communicate with your TV better and cycle the input faster.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
mpnret

Quote:
You should try a different remote code. Some times the first code that "works" isn't the best one. Try the others there might be one that can communicate with your TV better and cycle the input faster.

Dan
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try later. This may fix my issues with the TiVo remote communicating with the TV but still doesn't speed up the XL-4 but for 4 tuners I can live with it. If they ever do speed it up I will be changing my Amazon review from 3 stars to 5.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
mpnret

Quote:

Dan
Gave it a try but no luck. The remote code I was using was the only one that worked at all on the provided list. I guess I will just have to accept it. It's kind of a shame that the TV remote and both of my Harmony remotes can step through the input selections quickly. The TiVo remote for some reason requires a pause after each selection. The other annoyance is that when you finally get to the selection you want you just have to wait there till it times out for the selection to take affect. With the other remotes once you arrive at the selection you want you can hit enter or right arrow on the remote for the selection to take affect. On the TiVo remote hitting either of these performs a TiVo function. I guess it is just the way TiVo implemented the input selection with their remote.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
jasew

Quote:
No it is not. It is the TiVo remote causing the delay. If I use the TV remote or one of my 2 Harmony remotes there is no pause.
My experience is the same. I can cycle through the TV input options quickly with the TV remote. If I use the Tivo remote, there is a pause between each selection change. The Tivo appears to be "processing" that button request because the Tivo console light flashes when you press that button.
jasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
cherry ghost

The Input Delay is set to a high number on the TiVo remotes in order to accommodate TVs that require it. Your TV and Harmony remotes are probably set to the optimal delay needed for the TV. The number can be lowered on Harmonys(in milliseconds).

I don't know if the learning function will work on the Input button on a TiVo remote for your TV, but can you can try it.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote