TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Big Bang Theory [01/09/2014] - "The Occupation Recalibration"

Bernadette is so fun. I knew she was going back for that comic book. She could not allow the precedent of Howard being right about something!
Jessie: You're back.
Bernadette: Yes I am. There are a few more things I want to say to you. Stuart's store is just fine, and he's a much nicer person than you are, and if you still have that comic I'd like to buy it right now.
Jessie: No problem. You want a latte while you wait?
Bernadette: No I don't want a latte. I want a cappuccino and a blueberry scone.
Jessie: I only have chocolate chip.
Bernadette: Well that sounds even better.

ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Definitely a lot less of a downer episode than last week.

I don't get Penny and Leonard's friction over her life changes. Yeah, Leonard's more pragmatic about the whole situation. He can't emotionally support her at the same time as he points out that he thinks it's a giant risk and that he thinks it might be a mistake? I think it's good to have one in a relationship be more of a risk-taker and a dreamer, and the other be more grounded, logical, and pragmatic. She should be thankful to have someone to provide a "splash of cold water to the face," sort of speak.

It seems like they're using this season as bit of a way to reinvent the show. First, they dropped Raj's inability to speak to women (well, it happened in the season finale of last season, but it really only took effect this season), and they're advancing Sheldon's relationship little-by-little. Now, they're changing Penny's career, and it looks like they may be setting Stuart up for something with this new comic book shop.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I think Leonard's big mistake is the classic guy error of telling her what she should do instead of just listening.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think Leonard's big mistake is the classic guy error of telling her what she should do instead of just listening.
This. And I won't say more
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Penny has always lived hand to mouth as it is. Wonder if they are going to have Leonard supporting her or if she is going to move in with him.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Penny has always lived hand to mouth as it is. Wonder if they are going to have Leonard supporting her or if she is going to move in with him.
I thought of this. I wonder if that's part of Leonard's insecurity about her taking the risk. He's not sure if he wants to take on the burden of supporting her financially. Or am I over thinking a sitcom?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Hank
AC•FTW

Yeah, clearly they're going to have L+P move in together.

Sheldon will still be across the hall, and perhaps Stuart will move in to become more of the group. Or maybe Raj. But Raj won't put up with Sheldon's crap, so maybe that's a good thing.

I really hate that they used Brian Posehn for the new odd guy character. I just can't get his role in the Sarah Silverman show out of my head, as a perverted, slobby, gay, stoner out of my mind. He's *not* a geeky, straight, scientist.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I think it's good to have one in a relationship be more of a risk-taker and a dreamer, and the other be more grounded, logical, and pragmatic. She should be thankful to have someone to provide a "splash of cold water to the face," sort of speak.
I agree, but the dreamer doesn't generally like the cold water. See Amy/Matt on Little People Big World.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

I really hate that they used Brian Posehn for the new odd guy character. I just can't get his role in the Sarah Silverman show out of my head, as a perverted, slobby, gay, stoner out of my mind. He's *not* a geeky, straight, scientist.
I've seen him play this type of character before (I can't recall exactly where, but I know I have seen it ), so for me he fits the part. I only occasionally watch the Sarah Silverman show, so I kind of forgot the part he played on it (but I do remember him being in the cast).
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I've seen him play this type of character before (I can't recall exactly where, but I know I have seen it ), so for me he fits the part. I only occasionally watch the Sarah Silverman show, so I kind of forgot the part he played on it (but I do remember him being in the cast).
Just Shoot Me! is what I think of him as being from.

We had just watched the latest episode of New Girl before BBT and he was on it too. A stoner biology teacher.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
pendragn

Quote:
I just can't get his role in the Sarah Silverman show out of my head, as a perverted, slobby, gay, stoner out of my mind. He's *not* a geeky, straight, scientist.
How about a heavy metal singer?

I can't figure out who to embed a YouTube video

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Idearat

Sheldon: "You're going to need a straw"
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I enjoyed the episode and especially Amy and her new admirer. I did find it interesting/not believable that Howard and Raj would just stop in to see her at work. Have they done that before?

I didn't like Bernadette going back for the comic. I think she should have been loyal to Stuart, had him get her a copy and told Howard about it and buttered him up with sex. Better than giving money that the snot. Have we seen that comic store before? It seems familiar.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I enjoyed the episode and especially Amy and her new admirer. I did find it interesting/not believable that Howard and Raj would just stop in to see her at work. Have they done that before?

I didn't like Bernadette going back for the comic. I think she should have been loyal to Stuart, had him get her a copy and told Howard about it and buttered him up with sex. Better than giving money that the snot. Have we seen that comic store before? It seems familiar.
AFF now works at the same U as the guys, so I'm not surprised they would stop in to see her.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
AFF now works at the same U as the guys, so I'm not surprised they would stop in to see her.
When did that happen? I don't remember that.

Edit: "The Workplace Proximity," October 17, 2013. Amy accepts an invitation to consult on an experiment at CalTech for a few months. So - not permanently at CalTech, but temporarily.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
replaytv
unRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Sheldon: "You're going to need a straw"
By far the funniest line.

I enjoy Sheldon and Pennys' relationship more than any others on the show.

I loved Sheldons' impersonation of a dog. I know it is not unique, but it still cracked me up.

Sheldon certainly should have won the Peoples' Choice Award. He really is the best actor in the bunch and one of the best on TV.

Generally I don't appreciate Bernadette or her gravelly voice, but liked her voice and comments, especially at the end.

When Penny said that she quit her job I thought she might suggest that Leonard move in to support her financially. If Penny didn't have any self respect, Sheldon offered his 46 uncashed paychecks as a loan.

I think she should have discussed her quitting not because she had to, but because they are a couple and if she explored the topic with Leonard he might have suggested him moving with her.

I love BBT but I happened to watch a old Seinfeld show and was surprised at how much better a series Seinfeld is. There is a lot less predictability and treading on new topics with Seinfeld. But maybe all the topics have been explored now.

I really enjoyed the first part of the Peoples Choice Awards with all the stars coming into the Broke Girls restaurant.

I must not watch as much TV as you guys, as I don't think I have ever seen Brian Posehn before.

I think AFF should have gone to the rock show. It isn't like she is married to Sheldon or even dating in my book. I do think she feels like she is 'dating' Sheldon though. She is crazy about him. What girl wouldn't be, especially after Sheldon nursed her back to health with chest rubs and sitz baths!

Last edited by replaytv : 01-10-2014 at 02:39 PM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
It was a a copy of "The Dark Knight Returns".
She had to replace it.

The second store reminded me of the original Golden Apple Comic Book Store in Hollywood.
(The new location isn't as good.)

Well, except for the lattes and scones.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
She had to replace it.
Which could fetch a price of $100+, which would have made a funny thing for Bernadette to find out.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
She had to replace it.

The second store reminded me of the original Golden Apple Comic Book Store in Hollywood.
(The new location isn't as good.)

Well, except for the lattes and scones.
I actually liked that it wasn't just some random comic, but one that would be significant if it were damaged.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

I don't get Penny and Leonard's friction over her life changes. ..
because Leonard is bitch

I can't stand him

he comes into Penny's apartment
"please don't leave me"

ugh, grow a pair, Leonard

then when Penny says she's not going to leave he says "mind if I cry?"

he cries, he begs, he worries, he freaking walks on egg shells
he's so scared to do anything wrong or say anything wrong
that's what causes the friction

the only time I really liked him was when they went out after breaking up and he told her he hated the movies she picked out and the only reason he went to those movies was so he could have sex with her

I really hope his character freaking matures
after all this time in a relationship he should grow up
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
because Leonard is bitch

I can't stand him

he comes into Penny's apartment
"please don't leave me"

ugh, grow a pair, Leonard

then when Penny says she's not going to leave he says "mind if I cry?"

he cries, he begs, he worries, he freaking walks on egg shells
he's so scared to do anything wrong or say anything wrong
that's what causes the friction

the only time I really liked him was when they went out after breaking up and he told her he hated the movies she picked out and the only reason he went to those movies was so he could have sex with her

I really hope his character freaking matures
after all this time in a relationship he should grow up
I wouldn't have agreed in the beginning of the series, but by this time Leonard has dated and had interest shown in him by many beautiful women.

His begging doesn't seem to me to be because he's in deep love with Penny, but because he's afraid nobody will ever sleep with him again, but at this point in his life, he shouldn't worry about that any more.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #22
sharkster

I always think of Brian Posehn from 'Don't Shoot Me' (David Spade, G. Segal, W. Malick, et al). But I did watch that Silverman show, too, years ago. He always seems pretty much the same character to me, except for being gay in the SS show. He still seems like the same character to me - not a scientist. Hard to shake that stuff with him because of his looks and demeanor.

Anyway, fun episode. Love Bernadette! I really like how they are mixing the characters up more and more, ex - the Penny and Sheldon relationship.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
replaytv
unRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post

Ya, I thought that was way funny, mostly because I did too much of that kind of activity when I was that age.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #24
stellie93

I saw the preview where Leonard tells Sheldon to "stay" on the steps and Sheldon just does it, like a dog. I thought there was going to be some explanation of it, but never saw one. Is this something from before that I've forgotten?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I saw the preview where Leonard tells Sheldon to "stay" on the steps and Sheldon just does it, like a dog. I thought there was going to be some explanation of it, but never saw one. Is this something from before that I've forgotten?
It was just a joke. Even though he was on vacation, Sheldon was following Leonard to work and wouldn't stay behind. Leonard told him to stay, and the joke followed that it was like Leonard was telling a puppy to stay that was following his master around.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #26
Hank
AC•FTW

And then in the next scene with Penny, she's "ok, come on boy!" when she asks if he wants to go with her.. and he jumps up all excited to go out.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
And then in the next scene with Penny, she's "ok, come on boy!" when she asks if he wants to go with her.. and he jumps up all excited to go out.
That wasn't until he whimpered like a puppy.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Like any of US have done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Or am I over thinking a sitcom?
I'm not sure you're allowed entry into this thread unless you do.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
Shaunnick

I can help them carry those if they want:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Shaunnick : 01-14-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #30
Hank
AC•FTW

Must have been some after-party.