TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The X Factor canceled

The X Factor has been canceled after three seasons on US television:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/x-fa...-simon-cowell/

I'm a bit surprised. On the other hand, it has never been a breakaway success like it was overseas. I think the presence of "The Voice" and the fact that we still have an "Idol" show going here means that the marketplace might be a bit too crowded. (Over in the UK, Pop Idol ended before The X Factor hit the air.)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Not surprised. I gave up early on it last season.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
WRX09MD

Say goodbye to all those shows please.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
JohnB1000

Simon going back to the UK version.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Simon going back to the UK version.
That's what was given as the main reason, but I think it is by far not the only reason.

The other reason I think has been the show's utter inability to get a decent judging panel, arguably hitting rock bottom with Paulina Rubio last season.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
mattack

I hope Simon goes back to Idol then. He's a lot like Gordon Ramsay.. very entertaining and they're both the luckiest guys in the world -- they get to be "mean" (honest) and get paid tons of money for it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I hope Simon goes back to Idol then. He's a lot like Gordon Ramsay.. very entertaining and they're both the luckiest guys in the world -- they get to be "mean" (honest) and get paid tons of money for it.
Actually, Idol finally has a very good panel of judges this season. Jennifer Lopez is the weakest of the three, but they kind of need a "softie" on the panel.

IMO, as long as they can keep this panel, Simon can stay far, far away.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Azlen

I don't think there's any chance of Simon's ego ever letting him go back to American Idol.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
That's what was given as the main reason, but I think it is by far not the only reason.

The other reason I think has been the show's utter inability to get a decent judging panel, arguably hitting rock bottom with Paulina Rubio last season.
Delete "arguably" and you get a +1.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The X Factor has been canceled after three seasons on US television:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/x-fa...-simon-cowell/
Good.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I don't think there's any chance of Simon's ego ever letting him go back to American Idol.
I don't think it's as much that as, Idol seems to have gotten to the point where they don't depend on laughing at bad singers in the early auditions for ratings any more, and since Simon's sole purpose seemed to be to ridicule singers, he's not really needed any more.

There's one chance he comes back - if he can get a guarantee that his record company gets first crack at anybody who appears on the show. (He once told Larry King that his was the main reason he was involved with Idol in the first place.)

I was going to say that just about the only show we know that wouldn't be filling The X Factor's slot is So You Think You Can Dance?, which crashed and burned when it tried a fall season a few years ago - but in part, that was because of all of the problems caused by Fox's postseason baseball coverage, and starting this year, the only games Fox is showing are the World Series (whatever League Championship Series Fox normally shows will now be on Fox Sports 1), and with the show's new "no results shows" format and the fact that Tuesday is a travel day in the World Series, I have a feeling Nigel Lythgoe is at least thinking about trying it again.
Then again, it would have to wait until Fall 2015, as it is far too late to start the process for a Fall 2014 season; they're still in the middle of Summer 2014 auditions.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #12
DLL66

X-Factor never could recover from its horrible debut. The Voice came around and blew it out of the water! This years American Idol judges are a great combination and it has recovered from a disastrous last year.
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
DVC California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66 View Post
X-Factor never could recover from its horrible debut. The Voice came around and blew it out of the water!
I agree but I also feel Steve Jones was absolutely the wrong host for mainstream Americans. The accent, his clipped manner interviewing, and general disconnect with what US TV audiences were accustomed to.

DVC California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Donbadabon
Geocacher

The X-Factor didn't bring anything unique to TV. Between America's Got Talent, The Voice, and American Idol everything is already covered. You have to have something different.

I hated the way the judges would buzz someone, and then would have to actually vote yes or no. Either buzz, or say, but not both. It is redundant and a waste of time.

Plus I don't think Simon ever grasped the idea that over here in the US, making an 'X' sign with our arms would normally mean we wanted someone cut from the competition. So it kind of goes against our normality to cheer for someone while at the same time x-ing them.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I enjoy these shows... I get the criticism of unscripted reality shows, but I don't consider these singing shows "reality television"... They're simply talent shows, which have been around forever...and I just love music and love watching great talent do things that are both great and unexpected...

Unfortunately, they do end up showing a bunch of train wrecks in the process, and yes, that is painful...

But I love to see talented people work their craft... Not just singing...but dancing and other talents... Which is why I also like watching SYTYCD and AGT...

Not a huge fan of DWTS though... These are celebrities putting themselves in an uncomfortable situation and forcing themselves to learn a craft that they have not mastered over the years... I like watching talented people work their craft...not untalented people try to learn a craft...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
sharkster

I'm surprised the market thought it could support so many of these shows. That said, however, I don't watch ANY of them so I guess I wouldn't know.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I'm surprised the market thought it could support so many of these shows. That said, however, I don't watch ANY of them so I guess I wouldn't know.
Yea...despite the fact that I enjoy watching these sorts of shows... I have to admit that there are too many... I can't possibly keep up...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I watched all three seasons but I won't exactly miss it.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like these shows for the fact that I see a lot of people showcase their talent that I wouldn't see otherwise. From that aspect, I was happy with there being several of them, but I, too, sometimes found it hard to keep up with it all.

That said, it's doesn't bother me that the number of shows is dwindling - I'll still watch those that are on, though I think I did favor this one over Idol since X Factor has been on, but I still prefer The Voice over both of those.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote