TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Dr. Who??????

Some teaser shots....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dr Who002.jpg (80.1 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Dr Who.jpg (52.1 KB, 231 views)
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Mmmmm Jenna Coleman!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
argicida

Not feeling the new Who - hopefully that will change - it took me a while to get #9 while #10 and #11 were immediate.

argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
Not feeling the new Who - hopefully that will change - it took me a while to get #9 while #10 and #11 were immediate.
I'm the opposite...this is the first time since #9 that a new Doctor looked even vaguely like the Doctor to me (although I warmed quickly to 10 & 11).

Doesn't mean anything, of course. I have good feelings about this one, but you never know until they jump off your TV screen, grab you by the lapels, and say "HELLO! I'm...the DOCTOR!!"

(Note to self...wear lapels during season premiere.)

Old 02-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
dtle

So I guess their won't be any sexual tension between old Doc and his female companions?

Yes, I realized that the young Docs (Ecclestone, Tennant, and Smith) are still OLD, but we're talking about playing to the audience.

dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
kmccbf

I immediately took a liking to the new Doctor. As long as they don't botch the writing I think he's going to be great. I liked Tennatt right away right at the regeneration. Smith took me a couple of episodes to warm up to. It had been so long since I had seen a Doctor Who when the show rebooted that I had not problem with Eccleston. I might have had a problem if I'd come right off the seventh or eight Doctor.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
Where are you trying to get this feeling from? There is no published work yet. Only stills.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Peter Capaldi must be pretty short. Because Clara looks downright normal-sized standing next to him!

Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Capaldi is 6 foot flat.

Coleman is 5' 2"

--Carlos V.

Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Capaldi is 6 foot flat. Coleman is 5' 2" --Carlos V.
Wow! Must be the angle of the picture, because they look much closer in height in that shot.

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Capaldi is 6 foot flat.

Coleman is 5' 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Wow! Must be the angle of the picture, because they look much closer in height in that shot.
Yeah, I suspect he CLAIMS he's 6'0, and she CLAIMS she's 5'2. But if either of them is telling the truth, it's her, because when she stands next to Matt Smith (who claims to be 5'11) she looks tiny.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

There's quite a height difference in the second picture.

I've never paid much attention to the clothes the companions have worn before* but I keep noticing that Clara seems to always wear those black stockings. Or maybe I only notice them when she does.

(* Martha wore some tight jeans in a couple of episodes. Now *that* I remember.)

Pure applesauce flavored jiggery-pokery
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
There's quite a height difference in the second picture.
???

I'd say maybe four inches, depending on how much she's hunched over.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Where are you trying to get this feeling from? There is no published work yet. Only stills.
Even stills give enough information to develop at least a very preliminary impression. If you can't develop an opinion based on visual data, then paintings, sculptures, and the like wouldn't have a point. They exist to convey a specific impression based solely on visual data. You know the phrase "A picture tells a thousand words?" It's true.

For instance, in this case, it tells the age of the performer, which affects how they portray their character. The wardrobe too tells a specific story. How they visually look standing alongside their fellow actors tells how they might interact with them. So on, and so forth. Again, it is a very preliminary feeling, and subject to change as more information becomes available, but a feeling nonetheless.

I find it rather hard to believe that you had absolutely no reaction whatsoever when seeing these stills. That's not how the human brain works. It exists to draw conclusions from the senses, even if you only have visual data to work on.

LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, I suspect he CLAIMS he's 6'0, and she CLAIMS she's 5'2. But if either of them is telling the truth, it's her, because when she stands next to Matt Smith (who claims to be 5'11) she looks tiny.
Part of that might be the fact that (in the one where their heights are pretty close), she is standing basically straight up, and he is mid stride, which is going to make him shorter.

Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
Part of that might be the fact that (in the one where their heights are pretty close), she is standing basically straight up, and he is mid stride, which is going to make him shorter.
But in the other one he's standing straight up, she's bent over a little, and they're still pretty close in height...certainly nowhere near 10" difference.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Agatha Mystery

Maybe he's just started shrinking, due to age, and doesn't realize it or hasn't changed his bio information.

Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
Maybe he's just started shrinking, due to age, and doesn't realize it or hasn't changed his bio information.
He's my age!

Still in the prime of life!

YOUNG, dammit! YOUNG!!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Add to that that I've noticed that short women are more likely to wear platform shoes.

--Carlos V.

Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Even stills give enough information to develop at least a very preliminary impression. If you can't develop an opinion based on visual data, then paintings, sculptures, and the like wouldn't have a point. They exist to convey a specific impression based solely on visual data. You know the phrase "A picture tells a thousand words?" It's true. For instance, in this case, it tells the age of the performer, which affects how they portray their character. The wardrobe too tells a specific story. How they visually look standing alongside their fellow actors tells how they might interact with them. So on, and so forth. Again, it is a very preliminary feeling, and subject to change as more information becomes available, but a feeling nonetheless. I find it rather hard to believe that you had absolutely no reaction whatsoever when seeing these stills. That's not how the human brain works. It exists to draw conclusions from the senses, even if you only have visual data to work on.
No, I didn't. Because I would be judging a performance based upon a single point in time. A picture may tell a thousand words but the character I will be judging will be thousands of those pictures, plus movement plus sound. Therefore, a single picture is still a very small sampling.

I will use a different adage. Don't judge a book by its cover, which usually has a picture.

As for age, I have been of the position that the youngest Doctor ever played the Doctor as older than almost every Doctor before him. Yet, the picture says he is a young punk.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He's my age! Still in the prime of life! YOUNG, dammit! YOUNG!!
You are 1200+?

Must be a very old picture.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
As for age, I have been of the position that the youngest Doctor ever played the Doctor as older than almost every Doctor before him. Yet, the picture says he is a young punk.
So very this. I was bound and determined to hate Smith, until I actually saw him play the part.
Quote:
You are 1200+?

Must be a very old picture.
That reminds me, I really have to get around to having that picture taken one of these days...wouldn't want to destroy the space-time continuum.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #23
vertigo235

I'm hopeful, because as much as I wanted to like Smith, I could never really 100% like him.

He had some good episodes, but most of the time it just didn't work for me. Just too whimsical or something, I can't place it.

I rank
Tennant,
Eccleson
Smith

Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
stellie93

I'm new to Dr. Who, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I rank them the same way. But I loved all 3 of them. Since I've never seen an older--prime of his life, Rob--doctor, I can't quite picture it, but I'm sure it will be fine.

stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

It'll all depend on the writing.

ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

double post

Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I'm hopeful, because as much as I wanted to like Smith, I could never really 100% like him.

He had some good episodes, but most of the time it just didn't work for me. Just too whimsical or something, I can't place it.

I rank
Tennant,
Eccleson
Smith
I'm not sure if the "problem" with Smith was the acting or the writing. Everything was just all over the place and they tended to try to out-clever themselves at every turn. A lot of the last two seasons has been one big WTF for me.

I hope they get it back on track for the new Doctor.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #28
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
I'm not sure if the "problem" with Smith was the acting or the writing. Everything was just all over the place and they tended to try to out-clever themselves at every turn. A lot of the last two seasons has been one big WTF for me.

I hope they get it back on track for the new Doctor.
I 100% agree

Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
NJChris
Moogs!

I agree too. Smith was my least favorite plus I think the writing was somewhat dumbed down. It just did not feel as cohesive.

NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #30
danterner
Not it!

I'm not sure what the appropriate thread is, these days, for a general Doctor Who plot-related question. I'm doing a re-watch as my daughter watches for the first time, and something is puzzling me. We just finished Season 6 last night (my questions contain spoilers through Season 7, though):

Spoiler:
In the finale of Season 6, the Doctor takes the Pandorica, with its restorative energy, into the heart of the exploding TARDIS, thus triggering Big Bang 2 - a reboot of the universe. Only it's a Doctorless universe - until Amy remembers him at her wedding, he never existed in this new universe other then as the Raggedy Man imaginary friend of her youth. Is that right? If so, here are the questions I'm grappling with:

1. What was her imaginary friend based upon, if the Doctor never existed at that point in her childhood?

2. River made an appearance at her wedding and gave the blue spoilers book as a gift (blank pages, because the doctor didn't exist at that point). Why did River herself exist, though? River is Amy's child and had her Time Lord traits by virtue of Amy's time traveling and being born as a child of the time vortex or something like that, if I recall. If the Doctor doesn't exist, then how did the circumstances arise for River to?

3. In "Turn Left" in the prior season, we were shown what a Doctorless world would be like - all the bad things that would have happened had Donna not joined with him and had he died as a result. Why, after the Big Bang 2 but before Amy remembers him back into being, does a Doctorless world seem to be just fine?

4. Why is it sometimes a problem for things to loop back into their own personal time stream, but other times not? In this episode (Big Bang) the Doctor touches his sonic screwdriver to his other sonic screwdriver, and sparks literally fly. But adult Amy and young Amelia can interact and touch without a problem. Just bending the rules to fit the story, or am I misunderstanding something on a deeper level?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote