kherr

Any reason to put Tivos on a VLAN

Title says it all.
1 Premiere XL4
1 Premiere (2 tuners)
2 Minis, soon to be 3 when Charter goes all digital
2 TP-Link TL-SG3216 Managed Switches
Soon to add 24 port version

All Tivos on separate cables going to switches. You should see all the outlets I have behind my main TV (6)
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

It depends, first on how many other device you have on your home network and two, if you have routing layer 3 switch that can handle the routing between the VLANs. You are talking about separate IP VLANs? If so the biggest obstacle would be have a device that can handle the routing which home residential router typically do not have that kind of power or physical capacity to do such.

If I had the type of hardware I have at work, I would put each pair of tivos on their own tagged vlan and then route them into the normal network but with doing such requires enterprise hardware that I can't justify the expense.

With adding VLANs you will need of course a dhcp server that can handle multiple in subnets if you want to distribute it addresses by dhcp but in a small network you could always apply static addresses.

Considering the bandwidth needed, personally unless you have a very large home network, the cost versus benefit would be small but and doing such would seem more a bragging right thing rather than increase performance. I run a couple routed VLANs on my home network but it's more just a showoff thing and not out of need.

So sure if you have the $$'s for the hardware, the bigger bigger issue is that despite the idea of establishing VLANs, the bottleneck remains the Tivo. Only the latest Tivo models have decent though put to their network adapters, you will not see better transfer speeds with MRV content simply because the Tivo can not overwhelm the network interface, just because TiVo's have a 100mb, they do not have to means to utilize such.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Sorry, I didn't notice that you listed the switch model you are using.

You can establish multiple VLANs but the switch you have is only a layer 2 switch, you are missing the ability to route those multiple VLANs which require a layer 3 switch. Such a switch it self may cost upwards from $4,000 and higher.

Generic answer is yes, you can setup multiple VLANs but as per the switch you have, no communications between VLANs will occur and you need something to route between them. A device a on VLAN A can't see or talk to a device on VLAN B unless there is a router and not the type of router 99‰ of home networks have.

The purpose of VLAN'ing is to keep extensive network traffic only on segments that relates to the devices and routing such traffic only when the need occurs. For example, in a business IP phones might be on one VLAN, workstations on another. Workstations and phones will not see each other's IP traffic unless one directly addresses the other (in some cases there may be no routing if there isn't a need to do so).
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
kherr

I just had a wild idea, oh well .....

Thanks for your reply
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote