TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Fast n Loud - Smokey & the Bandit

Tacky, predictable, over the top, bad acting, produced...and I loved every minute of it. The sheriff was a riot. Burt Reynolds is still awesome.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

What is this about? Did you just watch the movie or something? Is there a TV show called "Fast n Loud" that is about Smokey and the Bandit?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
dilbert27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
What is this about? Did you just watch the movie or something? Is there a TV show called "Fast n Loud" that is about Smokey and the Bandit?
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/fast-n-loud
dilbert27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

trashy TV at its best!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

All fake, I think even the motor being bad was fake.

I love it, watch every episode.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
argicida

Good write up here: http://nypost.com/2013/10/30/burt-re...loud-surprise/
argicida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
tripmac
NASA Supporter

I told my wife that I bet the "rental" bandit is actually Burt's.

Also the stupid monkey head in the firebird got me. Come on now leave the firebird alone!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
pendragn

As a guy that owns a Bandit Trans Am, I had to watch this. It was completely phony, but a lot of fun. Anything gives cars like my beloved Trans Am attention is all right by me.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
As a guy that owns a Bandit Trans Am, I had to watch this. It was completely phony, but a lot of fun. Anything gives cars like my beloved Trans Am attention is all right by me. tk
My husband would be so jealous. He had one in high school (a Bandit one...black...some big motor or something? Different from the usual TA?) and he has always said he would love to hunt down his old car and see if it was still around. His fantasy is to find the car and restore it, but he would be happy with one just like it. He was poking around on the Internet the other day and said there were only like 1,200 or 1,500 ones like his made. I wasn't paying close attention. Heard some rambling about the motor and I tuned out. Bad wife.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Gregor

I keep waiting for the show to turn into American Choppers. It's kinda formulaic and the same issues crop up.

I like seeing the cars and the fact that they are generally affordable to the average collector.

Didn't much care for the dream sequence - it's like they had an episode and a half worth of content, so let's add 20 minutes of filler.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
rorrim
Runs with Scissors

I once had a '78 Trans Am with an automatic and the Oldsmobile 403 in it. It had all the right stickers, but was the worst color ... brown.

My dad is a Pontiac guy. He bought a new Firebird in 1968 and another in 1970. He traded the last one in to buy a LeMans in 1972 when I was born because he and mom needed space in back to put my child car seat. He still has that same LeMans all these years later.

I'm not enjoying Fast N Loud as much this season as last. Does it seem more scripted this year to anyone else? With that said, I did enjoy this pair of episodes. It's indulgent TV for a car guy like me.
rorrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
My husband would be so jealous. He had one in high school (a Bandit one...black...some big motor or something? Different from the usual TA?) and he has always said he would love to hunt down his old car and see if it was still around. His fantasy is to find the car and restore it, but he would be happy with one just like it. He was poking around on the Internet the other day and said there were only like 1,200 or 1,500 ones like his made. I wasn't paying close attention. Heard some rambling about the motor and I tuned out. Bad wife.
Want to make him really jealous? Mine was free. My dad bought it new and gave it to me 10 years ago. Mine is a black and gold 1977 with the Y82 package the W72 engine. There were 2699 made with that combination. You can see the options and numbers here, http://y82transam.com/1977ta.html.

Here's a picture from a few years ago after I washed it:

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Bob Coxner

I enjoyed Richard telling Burt that he outlived Pontiac.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Tacky, predictable, over the top, bad acting, produced...and I loved every minute of it. The sheriff was a riot. Burt Reynolds is still awesome.
Awesome summation!

I loved Richard as Burt too...was surprised he shaved off his mustach/goatee.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I think the main difference between this show and some of the 'other' car shows is that these guys are likeable and they get along with each other without the fake 'in house' fighting for dramatic purposes. Wheeler Dealers is another one of my favorites where it's a simple buy, fix, and try to sell at a profit (most times it seems not to be even worth it). I still think it's a great show that show cases some older cars from an era gone by and does a good job of show casing the deal and the repairs.

Last edited by NJ_HB : 12-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Bob Coxner

The people in Car Chasers are also likable and get along great. They don't do as much repair work as in Wheeler Dealers but it's the same buy, (sometimes) fix, sell for a profit.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Episode was hilarious!
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The people in Car Chasers are also likable and get along great. They don't do as much repair work as in Wheeler Dealers but it's the same buy, (sometimes) fix, sell for a profit.
Hey just got into this show, what a great show!
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I started watching this show since this thread started. They finally re-aired these 2 bandit episodes last night. It was fairly cheesey, but I still loved the episodes.

I was born in 1973, so I loved the bandit movies as a kid. I wanted a bandit car so bad when I grew up. Not so much anymore.

I think the tech lust part of me prevents me from wanting a classic car. I'd rather have a new car with all the latest gizmos. I still like watching car shows where they rebuild classic cars though.

I saw the promos that a new season of the show started last night. So, I'll be watching that first episode when I get home from work today.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Well, I ordered Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run on Blu-ray this morning. Got my new avatar picture off Amazon.