TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
inane2

Can't get new channels and channel guide to sync!

Good afternoon guys,

Iíll start off by saying Iím working with a TiVo Premiere. Iíd like to discuss two problems with the wonderful forum members here.

Late last fall, my cable provider began changing over their analog channels to digital, aka, the digital transition. Postcards were mailed out asking how many QAM tuners you would need. Checked my ownerís manual to find out my TV (09í Sony) has an internal QAM tuner. During the transition, a banner began to scroll across the tops of channels stating ďIf you see this banner, please re-scan your TVĒ.

When I rescanned my channel list through TiVo central, it pretty much doubled the channels. Here is the first of my two problems. Iíll use channel 41, FX, for an example. My TiVo picks up channel 41 and labels it as FX and has the programming guide info and so on at top. While this info is displayed, Iím receiving no signal (as it is the old analog signal and is dead) and it gives me a warning message stating no signal. However, TiVo also finds channel 41-1, the new digital version of FX and labels it as CH41FX. The picture is there and looks great, only it wonít retrieve the programming info. Basically, it is somehow pulling in the old analog channels (with no picture) and is assigning the programming info to these channels. Itís also finding the new digital channels and is assigning ď-1Ē to them but wonít line up the guide info with the new channels. This has screwed up all of my season passes and will only let me record by manually doing so by entering the channel, time and date.

Iíve deleted the channel list, rescanned, checked and unchecked boxes multiple times over the last 2-3 months. If I uncheck all of the old analog channels, this still wonít line up the new channels with the channel info. Iíve even gone in and changed the zip code from which is seeks your cable service and programming info from.

The second problem is when I rescan, if continually doesnít find the digital versions of 8 certain channels. It will find the old, dead analog signal but will not find the new, digital, -1 version. No matter how many times I scan, it won't find the digital version of these same 8 channels.

I called the cable provider first and then referred me to TiVo. Called TiVo and those guys were very nice but referred me back to the cable provider.

Any thoughts or suggestions as Iím really missing my season passes!!!
inane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
tatergator1

You need a Cable Card from your provider. Tivo Guide data does not support digital cable channels via Chanel Scan. You must have a CableCard and re-run Guided Setup, choosing the proper digital channel line-up.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
inane2

Thanks Gator. The Tivo tech briefly mentioned the cable card but oddly enough the provider never mentioned it.

If I researched it correctly, it looks like I need a multi-stream or "M" card. Does that sound correct? My cable provider offers the cable cards for $2 / month.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inane2 View Post
Thanks Gator. The Tivo tech briefly mentioned the cable card but oddly enough the provider never mentioned it.

If I researched it correctly, it looks like I need a multi-stream or "M" card. Does that sound correct? My cable provider offers the cable cards for $2 / month.
Yes it will be m card.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
inane2

Sent my better half to our provider to pick up an M-Card. As I was afraid, they give here the overplayed situation about how they have to come out and install the card and charge us some ridiculous service call fee. Best I can make out, FCC specifies that I can install the card myself. I told here to walk away and I will have to go up there myself.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by inane2 View Post
Sent my better half to our provider to pick up an M-Card. As I was afraid, they give here the overplayed situation about how they have to come out and install the card and charge us some ridiculous service call fee. Best I can make out, FCC specifies that I can install the card myself. I told here to walk away and I will have to go up there myself.
It's not as simple as the FCC says I can.

They only have to allow self installs of CC's if they allow self installs of other equipment. If your cable provider does not allow any self installs at all, then they don't have to allow you to self install a CC.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
inane2

Thanks for the follow-up scandia101. I certainly didn't go in there with that attitude. We all have to answer to someone.

Thankfully, I deal with CFR's (Code of Federal Regulations) everyday for a living. Their "legalese" can be tough to interpret.

From 47 CFR 76.1205 section B:

(b) A multichannel video programming
provider that is subject to the requirements
of ß 76.1204(a)(1) must:

(1) Provide the means to allow subscribers
to self-install the CableCARD
in a CableCARD-reliant device purchased
at retail and inform a subscriber
of this option when the subscriber
requests a CableCARD.

This requirement shall be effective August 1,
2011, if the MVPD allows its subscribers
to self-install any cable modems or operator-
leased set-top boxes and November
1, 2011 if the MVPD does not allow
its subscribers to self-install any cable
modems or operator-leased set-top
boxes;

(i) This requirement shall not apply
to cases in which neither the manufacturer
nor the vendor of the
CableCARD-reliant device furnishes to
purchasers appropriate instructions for
self-installation of a CableCARD, and a
manned toll-free telephone number to
answer consumer questions regarding
CableCARD installation but only for so
long as such instructions are not furnished
and the call center is not offered;

So as you can see, B(1) sets two different dates. The first is if your provider allows self installs and the second date is if the provider does not allow self installs.

Tivo certainly meets the requirements of (b)(1)(I) as it offers both detailed instructions and a toll-free number.

My provider does allow self installs. When they claimed not to, I reminded them of their YouTube videos walking people through the various self-installs. Either way, we are way past both dates mentioned above. Their "fee" was because they have to come out and "pair" the card with the device. Their pairing involves writing down host ID, data ID and card serial number and calling it back in to the plant - aka- the same thing I will do when I call in.