TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,126
Person of Interest - Season 3 questions **spoiler**

I think we are on season 3 these days? I have 2 questions.

There is a new, younger woman on the show named Shaw. I don't remember her at all. I'm assuming she joined at the end of season 2? Can anyone remind me what her story is?

Why is Carter not a detective anymore? I'm assuming she got in some kind of trouble, but I don't remember.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 12,942
She had a whole episode devoted to her introduction last year. It is one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Edit: Looks like it was episode 16 last season.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
boywaja
Splendid Isolation
 
boywaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Clifton, VA
Posts: 2,900
Since spoilers are indicated in the subject.

Carter was framed with a unjust shooting as I recall

Shaw worked for the government. She was one of the people who would use the numbers the government gets from the computer to stop terrorism. I believe she asked too many questions about the source of the intel so she was going to be killed. she became a 'number' for reese.
boywaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,082
Carter's storyline is all wrapped up with HR. She was dating a detective named Beecher, who was thought to be dirty (this is why her offer to join the FBI was rescinded, apparently). Turns out the Beecher is the godson of Quinn, the head of HR, and when Beecher starts to look into HR, HR has him killed in the line of duty. Carter starts to investigate the killing, and so HR gets her involved in a shooting then makes it look like the shoot was not justified. She gets busted back to patrol.
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywaja View Post
Since spoilers are indicated in the subject.

Carter was framed with a unjust shooting as I recall

Shaw worked for the government. She was one of the people who would use the numbers the government gets from the computer to stop terrorism. I believe she asked too many questions about the source of the intel so she was going to be killed. she became a 'number' for reese.
It was Shaw's partner who started asking questions and was killed for it.
(Don't forget that Root wanted the partner's data.)
They then went after Shaw as part of the cleanup.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
There is a new, younger woman on the show named Shaw. I don't remember her at all. I'm assuming she joined at the end of season 2? Can anyone remind me what her story is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
She had a whole episode devoted to her introduction last year. It is one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Edit: Looks like it was episode 16 last season.
The episode named "Relevance".

Good, I'm not the only one going nuts. Apparently I did watch Relevance, and I too didn't remember her and was going to ask the same thing.. (I keep track of which episodes of some shows I've seen.. I guess the ones that I *don't* keep up on every week.. in case I have a drive failure like I did have.. heh) I've only seen the first ep of this season so far. Interesting, it's on On Demand, and I AM able to FF through the commercials. (I have Tivoed it, but sometimes On Demand the HD versions.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
So, in E4, "Reasonable Doubt", what happened to the couple on the boat, at the end?

I kind of expected to hear 2 shots, but then I wondered what really happened?
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,082
We don't know. The most likely scenario is the guy went for the gun and the wife shot him, either twice or his gun went off when he was shot. She had a gun trained on him, he was not armed. Unless she couldn't go through with shooting him he had no chance.

The more "romantically inclined" might believe they shot each other
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

The more "romantically inclined" might believe they shot each other
or those that would rather both end up dead because neither deserve to live.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
So, in E4, "Reasonable Doubt", what happened to the couple on the boat, at the end?

I kind of expected to hear 2 shots, but then I wondered what really happened?
I heard what might have been 2 shots close enough together in time to have sounded more like one or one and a half.

But the Coast Guard was supposed to be on the way, so if either one of them survived they'd have been apprehended and subject to arrest on all sorts of charges.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I think we are on season 3 these days? I have 2 questions.

There is a new, younger woman on the show named Shaw. I don't remember her at all. I'm assuming she joined at the end of season 2? Can anyone remind me what her story is?

Why is Carter not a detective anymore? I'm assuming she got in some kind of trouble, but I don't remember.
Until Santa brings you a boxed DVD set of all the episodes so far, there are fairly good recaps here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...erest_episodes
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #12
Church AV Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: high desert California
Posts: 2,298
They did this once before, where they never officially resolved what happened. I think it was Reese who was deciding if he should shoot the bad guy or not. I only barely remember the episode or when it aired, but I do remember the discussion afterward.
__________________
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #13
jamesl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Carter's storyline is all wrapped up with HR. ...
not quite

she met Quinn at Beecher's gravestone a couple of weeks ago
he tried to reinforce the idea that Beecher was shot in the line of duty

she trusts him so she confided in him and said she thought there was more to the shooting than that

then she left and he called someone up and said Carter was still going to be trouble

now we have the rookie riding along with her -- and it was obvious he was a HR spy even before he had the secret meeting with that other dirty cop last week

what I want to know is, what is the machine's plan for Root ?
what are they doing week to week ?

is Root happy and fulfilled just sitting around listening to the voice of God telling her people's secrets ?

I would think Root would be growing impatient, and would want a goal, a higher calling from God
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
not quite
By "all wrapped up with HR" I meant that the reason she's busted down to beat cop all revolved around/had to do with HR. I didn't mean that the HR storyline was over.
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It was Shaw's partner who started asking questions and was killed for it.
(Don't forget that Root wanted the partner's data.)
So, I rewatched this episode (it was rerun a week or two ago). My first reaction is that Shaw was MUCH less robotic/no feelings than she is in season 3.

Also, I don't quite get what Root was doing, but you say she wanted the partner's data... was that to get to The Machine?

Also, they DID basically just start her up in season 3 with no other introduction, right? i.e. no "she's joined the team" kind of thing? In the aforementioned episode, she basically just leaves at the end, with her being given a card to get in touch with our heroes.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #16
Edmund
Remote Czar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ca
Posts: 5,123
Shaw was in 4 episodes last season:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0388...ries#tt1839578

Wasn't like she was Relevance, and than showed up in season 3's first episode.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So, I rewatched this episode (it was rerun a week or two ago). My first reaction is that Shaw was MUCH less robotic/no feelings than she is in season 3.

Also, I don't quite get what Root was doing, but you say she wanted the partner's data... was that to get to The Machine?

Also, they DID basically just start her up in season 3 with no other introduction, right? i.e. no "she's joined the team" kind of thing? In the aforementioned episode, she basically just leaves at the end, with her being given a card to get in touch with our heroes.
Shaw's partner was questioning the reasons for taking out Daniel Aquino, an engineer who worked on the facility for housing the Machine.

Their superiors were questioning if Aquino could keep silent and gave Shaw Aquino's number, making it look like it came from Research (The Machine) and faked evidence of payoffs from terrorists.

Hence Root's reason for meeting Shaw, she was following a lead to someone who might know where the Machine was.
She wanted to know if and what Aquino spilled and/or if Cole found out anything before they died.

Shaw didn't "just appear and join the team" in Season 3.
She turned up in the library a couple of episodes later to thank Finch for clearing Cole's name and saw Root's picture there.

Shaw then started tracking Root until that crossed over with Reese tracking Finch, who was being coerced into helping Root find get to the magic pay phone for Admin access in the Season 2 finale/Season 3 opener.

More here.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,126
Just noticed I started this thread. I have quit watching this show. I watched like 5 episodes of this season and realized I just didn't care anymore. Not sure if the show changed or what. I just wasn't enjoying it anymore.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
philw1776
Registered User
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,115
No big deal. If you didn't even remember Shaw from last season, you really weren't into it beforehand. Time to spend your hours elsewhere where you're more engaged. POI is best when paying close attention.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
No big deal. If you didn't even remember Shaw from last season, you really weren't into it beforehand. Time to spend your hours elsewhere where you're more engaged. POI is best when paying close attention.
Don't be such a jerk. I totally forgot her too, and I really like the show. (I tend to bank up shows and watch them in batches though, so may forget things between batches.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 24,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Don't be such a jerk. I totally forgot her too, and I really like the show. (I tend to bank up shows and watch them in batches though, so may forget things between batches.)
His comment didn't seem jerk-ish at all to me.


I hope they're building to something useful with Root. Her character has gotten too creepy.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #22
Edmund
Remote Czar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ca
Posts: 5,123
The her in the quote, isn't the her you're referring too.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
bryhamm
randomize
 
bryhamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St Louis area
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
His comment didn't seem jerk-ish at all to me.


I hope they're building to something useful with Root. Her character has gotten too creepy.
Didn't seem jerkish to me, either.
__________________
I just want bryhamm on top -- dthmj

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,126
Well, I remember losing interest in the show last year already. Probably part of the reason I couldn't remember what happened last year. I probably wasn't paying close attention.

It is nothing against this show. It is how all procedural shows go with me. I watch them for a year or two and lose interest. Somehow Elementary is keeping me interested. We'll see how long that lasts.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
caslu
Registered User
 
caslu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Well, I remember losing interest in the show last year already. Probably part of the reason I couldn't remember what happened last year. I probably wasn't paying close attention.

It is nothing against this show. It is how all procedural shows go with me. I watch them for a year or two and lose interest. Somehow Elementary is keeping me interested. We'll see how long that lasts.
I can understand... started watching when the show first aired and quickly lost interest. Tried again in season 2 and once again, quickly lost interest because it still had all those procedural tropes I hate. However, I think this is now one of the most consistently entertaining shows on television and has gone way beyond just being another typical procedural.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #26
jamesl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I hope they're building to something useful with Root. Her character has gotten too creepy.
well from the last episode, I'd say she's going to find out that there is another "God" and that is going to drive her over the edge

don't know how that will manifest itself though
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
Mr.Scarface
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Shaw was in 4 episodes last season:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0388...ries#tt1839578

Wasn't like she was Relevance, and than showed up in season 3's first episode.
Relevance was the best episode of the series until the 3 week Arc in November.

She was in episodes at the end of last season too. She became a regular to start this season.
Mr.Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
Relevance was the best episode of the series until the 3 week Arc in November.

She was in episodes at the end of last season too. She became a regular to start this season.
I just hope Carter didn't get removed for no reason other than to make room on the payroll for Shaw.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I just hope Carter didn't get removed for no reason other than to make room on the payroll for Shaw.
According to Taraji Henson, who played Carter, this was planned from the beginning, at best three seasons, before she was bumped off.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
According to Taraji Henson, who played Carter, this was planned from the beginning, at best three seasons, before she was bumped off.
I guess it's more realistic that they can't keep putting the characters in danger without a bad result, but it still leaves a hole in the show to have her character gone.

It's also a big reduction in their "in" with the NYPD.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |