TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
bs0755

Tivo Mini with DVD Recorder

I just ordered a Roamio Plus, and a Mini. I currently have a Premiere XL4, and two Series 3 units. I have seven TVs, three of which are just connected "basic" non digital cable wall outlets. My plan is to sell the Series 3 Tivos and eventually service all seven TVs with the Premiere and Roamio, and additional Minis. My original intent was to hook up the Roamio to our main TV and the Premiere to a little used TV in the basement family room. There is a DVD recorder connected to this TV, which I use to archive programs.

My problem is that my wife has gotten used to using two tuners in the bedroom, so that she can watch two shows at the same time. She would not be able to do that with the Mini--only being able to switch between two programs in real time? So, if I connect the Premiere to the bedroom TV, would I be able to connect a DVD player to the Mini via the breakout cable, and use HDMI cable for the family room TV? Do they output simultaneously, as does the full size box?

Thanks!
bs0755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yep that should work fine. However you might run into an issue with HDCP. If the HDMI connection is HDCP enabled and the show you're watching is protected then TiVo will disable the analog outputs. Although I've heard that inserting a cheap HDMI switch into the chain will eliminate the HDCP and allow both outputs to be active at all times.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
bs0755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yep that should work fine. However you might run into an issue with HDCP. If the HDMI connection is HDCP enabled and the show you're watching is protected then TiVo will disable the analog outputs. Although I've heard that inserting a cheap HDMI switch into the chain will eliminate the HDCP and allow both outputs to be active at all times.

Thanks--I already have a component splitter/amp, so if there is an issue with HDMI, I could just use that?
bs0755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs0755 View Post
Thanks--I already have a component splitter/amp, so if there is an issue with HDMI, I could just use that?
I've never had any issues when only component is connected with copy protected channels. Analog must be only getting disabled when HDMI is also hooked up.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah it only happens when HDMI is connected, the TV the HDMI is connected to has established an HDCP link and the show/channel you're watching is protected. The only reason I mentioned it is because it requires such a weird combo it's not always clear why it's happening.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I've never had any issues when only component is connected with copy protected channels. Analog must be only getting disabled when HDMI is also hooked up.
Yes. With HDMI. I've had issues going back to my S3 boxes. I initially used a manual switch to get around it. But I don't use the TV to much any more so as long as I don't mess around with the TV inputs while recording, then it is fine for me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote