TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
gra69
Almost_There

Angry No Youtube on Premiere XL4

I can not access Youtube on my XL4 anymore. Have good connection to internet, and Netflix works. The 'one moment' icon stays up, and it never changes. I am using the SD mode, since it is hooked up to a older large screen TV. Could that have anything to do with it? Also running 20.3.8.

Also, is there a way to use the HD displays WITHOUT being in 720i or higher? It won't let me change it in the menu, due to the 720i restriction. When I was running into a problem with FIOS, at one point, it switched back to Tivo Central, and it was in the HD display mode, so it should be able to work. Ideas?
gra69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
gra69
Almost_There

No ideas anyone?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

You might be "stuck" between the old Flash version of YouTube and the new HTML5 version.

Install kmttg on your PC and try launching YouTube from the kmttg Remote - Web Tab

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
gra69
Almost_There

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got kmttg running, but when I try to web execute, the Tivo plays the Tivo startup video. Can you suggest an html link for launching YouTube?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

You "may" need to update kmttg to the latest version, to see the HTML web launcher. (depending on how old your kmttg install is, you can now update from the help menu (top right of application)

The link should be http://www.youtube.com/tv

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmttg HTML Web Launch.jpg (46.9 KB, 69 views)

Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
You "may" need to update kmttg to the latest version, to see the HTML web launcher. (depending on how old your kmttg install is, you can now update from the help menu (top right of application)

The link should be http://www.youtube.com/tv

I have the latest kmttg version, but it doesn't have the "web" tab after the remote tab. It goes from ...guide, deleted, remote, info. Is there something I have to do to the TiVo XL4?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
gra69
Almost_There

CoxInPHX,
Thanks for the data. I am using kmttg v1p01. When I click on remote, then web, and enter in the link you supplied, then execute, the Tivo immediately shows the boot up Tivo man video, but no youtube. It is a XL4 Premiere, running 20.3.8.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I have the latest kmttg version, but it doesn't have the "web" tab after the remote tab. It goes from ...guide, deleted, remote, info. Is there something I have to do to the TiVo XL4?
I did not do anything special that I remember in the config, I beleive it is included in v1p0f and above.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post9818115

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/remote_web/

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
gra69
Almost_There

It appears that I was incorrect in the version. It is v1p0l, which is L at the end, not 1. It does have the flash/html option, and I have tried both. Still don't understand why it plays the Tivo video...
Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
UCLABB

Quote:
I did not do anything special that I remember in the config, I beleive it is included in v1p0f and above.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post9818115

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/remote_web/
Ack! I forgot to extract files from the download and kept ending up with the same old version. Now resolved
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
gra69
Almost_There

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra69 View Post
CoxInPHX,
Thanks for the data. I am using kmttg v1p01. When I click on remote, then web, and enter in the link you supplied, then execute, the Tivo immediately shows the boot up Tivo man video, but no youtube. It is a XL4 Premiere, running 20.3.8.
Any thoughts as to why the Tivo shows the start up video, when I 'execute'?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Any thoughts as to why the Tivo shows the start up video, when I 'execute'?
Not having the TiVo connected to an HDTV @ 720p or greater might be an issue with the new YouTube app, just a guess though.

EDIT: Setting my XL4 to just 480p and the SD menus, YouTube will not launch for me either, stays stuck on "One Moment". So it looks like you need at least 720p to run YouTube now.

I would send an email to margret at tivo.com and send her your TSN and ask her to take a look at your unit.

Immediately after attempting to launch YouTube press 911Clear and force two network connections to TiVo, send that info and time in the email to Margret.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-06-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
gra69
Almost_There

Thanks! I think that you hit the nail on the head. Apparently, Tivo changed something with the YouTube app. It used to work fine.
Since I'm on an older large screen TV, I can't use anything higher than SD. Hmmm... What to do...
I wonder if this is also why kmttg doesn't work for YouTube?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I checked my Mini also @ 480p only and it also will not launch YouTube.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #15
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I am using the SD mode, since it is hooked up to a older large screen TV.
You spent ~$700+ on an XL4, spend an few dollars on a new HDTV.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
gra69
Almost_There

Quote:
You spent ~$700+ on an XL4, spend an few dollars on a new HDTV.
Just don't understand why they broke the app (it used to work until recently). BTW, my premiere was only $200 from Tivo, not $700, and I love the picture that I get on my existing TV, so kind of silly to replace it just to get YouTube.
Also, can still view YouTube on the Series 3 (which is only hooked up for access to old recordings), so there is something wrong with the XL4 app. It's just a pain to have to switch inputs just for YouTube, and don't plan on keeping the Series 3 connected much longer.

Never heard back from email to Margret at Tivo yet either.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
tvmaster2

Youtube also stopped working with certain videos in my SageTV install. Something to do with videos where they force advertising on you, apparently.

The Youtube interface re-design for my Tivo Premiere is really kinda awful...takes forever to load....press a button and lag, lag, lag, wait, wait, wait....Why does Google want us to NOT use this service? Boggles the mind.
Youtube used to be the best thing on the Internet, now it's just a massive slog, no matter what platform it's accessed on.
I'd be fine with a few ads popping up - that's not the problem...now, it seems the management at Tivo CAN'T seem to work a deal with Google to make it work well.
Tivo sold this unit to me advertising a working Youtube as a feature/sales point.
It barely works now....make it work again, Tivo.
thanks
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
gra69
Almost_There

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Youtube also stopped working with certain videos in my SageTV install. Something to do with videos where they force advertising on you, apparently.

The Youtube interface re-design for my Tivo Premiere is really kinda awful...takes forever to load....press a button and lag, lag, lag, wait, wait, wait....Why does Google want us to NOT use this service? Boggles the mind.
Youtube used to be the best thing on the Internet, now it's just a massive slog, no matter what platform it's accessed on.
I'd be fine with a few ads popping up - that's not the problem...now, it seems the management at Tivo CAN'T seem to work a deal with Google to make it work well.
Tivo sold this unit to me advertising a working Youtube as a feature/sales point.
It barely works now....make it work again, Tivo.
thanks
I wouldn't count on ANY drastic support from Tivo, This just out:

"According to sources within Tivo, most of the hardware team has been let go. So far, that’s five employees. A skeleton crew of two engineers has been retained to handle support for current and upcoming third-party devices."
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
tvmaster2

whaaaaaaaat? out from 'where'?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
gra69
Almost_There

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
whaaaaaaaat? out from 'where'?
I got it from 'Wired':