TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
jgametest

Question Renewal ALERT! Choose your plan (WISELY)

I'm sure we have hit this road more than once, but not the way I am approaching the matter. Just to shake things up in the cable industry I sent a Tweet to Margret to get her opinion.

@tivodesign Two days #byecabletv only @hulu, @Netflix, @YouTube. May Renewal 19.99 14.95 or 499.99. I choose neither? Options Roku or Chromecast?

Honestly, I did not like my choices. A few days ago when I logged on to see the billing there was an alert pending that says renewal options are being updated check back later. Ok, so I did that and that when I found the base response.

Almost a full two years ago, our Series 2DT 2nd tuner failed which lead me into either canceling service or picking up another box. So they sent us a Free Premiere XL for a 2yr commit. Well that ends in May, but over the time many shows came online from content providers such as HuluPlus or Netflix. Overall percentage of streaming last year brought us to 90% rarely did we use the TiVo except for NickJR/DisneyJr.

It is for this reason alone, Tivo needs a final plan in place to protect a turnover rate if users like myself getting another device to avoid paying the huge Lifetime value. For this, either offer $99 lifetime or come up with the smallest little monthly plan imaginable.

So the challenge is posted and will monitor the results very carefully. I like the idea of the chromecast for costs but my family is so used to having a remote based system with Tivo that a Roku is looking pretty sweet. Now I know that Google Play and Appstore have ChromeCast ability as does the Chrome Browser it would just take time to retrain a family that is so used to holding that remote. Besides the fact, I have a Plex server that has been running for a while that when needed I attach my Asus Win8 notebook to the HDMI.

What has your experience been with ChromeCast vs Roku?
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
JosephB

A TiVo isn't really designed to be used for those services *only*. If you're not doing at least OTA, a Roku or Chromecast is obviously a better choice, even if they were to offer you $99 lifetime, since Rokus and Chromecasts cost less than $99 (significantly) and have many more options for content.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
Overall percentage of streaming last year brought us to 90% rarely did we use the TiVo except for NickJR/DisneyJr.

It is for this reason alone, Tivo needs a final plan in place to protect a turnover rate if users like myself getting another device to avoid paying the huge Lifetime value. For this, either offer $99 lifetime or come up with the smallest little monthly plan imaginable.
no they dont, you are not their customer that they target if you are barely a DVR user. Tivo is a DVR, they dont target over the top, its an added value.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You could have almost paid for lifetime at this point compared to what monthly costs for two years.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Buy a new Roamio with lifetime (should be around $550 if you shop carefully). See if you can get the $99 offer for lifetime on your Premiere and then sell it. Your net costs should be something less than $400.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
jgametest

point missed.

It's not a matter of hardware it's a matter of costs. We decided to reduce costs by having our apartment lease remove the addendum of included CableTV a $70 increase that made our rent costly. This location is income controlled community so it's a lower rate than you would normally run into. Because we are a Green Home, we rely heavily on Natural Gas for all heating needs. (Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher and the A/C). So electric is barely in the $100 range and gas stays at $34. As stated before we have been a HuluPlus subscriber for over a year and use it regularly at home and on the go. We recently added Netfix DVD subscriptions as a trial, but a family member added us on their profile for Netflix Instant to see if we like it. So our cost right now for entertainment is merely $15.98 if we decided to add Netflix instant than grand total outside of CA state tax would be 23.97. Now here is a scary thought that charge just equaled out the old AOL Dialup plan.

What it comes down to is choice in savings. We just don't see the need or value in having cabletv anymore. Even if it were a satellite provider same scenario we just don't use it any longer. So your right, I no longer follow the target audience that TiVo was aiming at. But eventually when they focus all energy on the cloud based system they might again. For now, my research continues.

Thanks for the feedback.

One silly note, in our past experience if you bundle three services together known as a TriplePlay you save. That was our goal when we moved here, but ran into a GIANT problem when the cable company said um we would like to but can't need approval from your apartment because of the group rate. Yes here at $70 by itself you get a Digital DVR or HD DVR free and the digital tv to watch minus premium. But I declined the DVR because of the TiVo so once we paid the increase grr, called Brighthouse to have them come out and provide us the CableCard and tuning Adapter. So with the Digital Phone and RR Turbo the add in was $3.95 for the CC but TA was free in my Tampa Bay market. Here is where things got stupid early on, we had free cable we moved in because we carried our old cablecard from last address with us (turned in) when switched over of course. The highspeed was sluggish and causing TiVo to falter in Youtube and HuluPlus so they sent a tech. Several test later determines there must be an outlet absorbing the data, takes one look at my TiVo and the wall outlet then me and then the wall and goes.. hmmm got it. I'll be back. a while goes then TiVo (No service - signal lost) ??? There problem solved, I found the leak and sealed the connection now try your internet. um thanks I think. Yea that's working but you killed my tv now that says no signal. His response, um yea that's too bad see your going to need to call the office and have that turned on. I had to boost your signal so if I need to come back I need to upgrade you to another package or swap the modem. As you can see this stirred and we were having to adapt to no tv for a good few weeks had plenty of DVD's but this is when we started to really adapt to Hulu's use.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
JosephB

If you want to go purely Netflix/Hulu, then don't buy a DVR. It's that simple, no research required. Even if you already owned a TiVo and consider it a sunk cost, and even if they offer you $99 lifetime (which they don't like to do, necessarily, because you do cost them money if you continue to use the service), then it would STILL be cheaper to buy a $50 Roku AND a $35 Chromecast.

If you're not doing OTA recording or using it for cable, a TiVo is not for you. Period.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes get a Roku and you will have everything you need. It gives you more streaming options than the Chromecast does.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes get a Roku and you will have everything you need. It gives you more streaming options than the Chromecast does.
I agree, go with the Roku over the Chromecast. I actually have both, because for whatever reason Comcast has decided you should not be allowed to use the HBOGO app on Roku if you are a Comcast subscriber. It's pure BS that Comcast gets to legally screw over its customers in this manner, and just another example of how we need better regulations of the cable companies in this country.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote