Jimmy Kimmel 29 38.67%
James Corden 12 16.00%
Seth Myers 12 16.00%
Conan O'Brien 24 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
JohnB1000

Which current mainstream talk show hosts do you like ?

Mostly focused on the network TV + Conan.

Yes the past was better etc. but who do you like that's on now ?

You can pick more than one.

Apologies to Conan for typoing his name. Can I fix that ?

Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
JohnB1000

I will say, having read the list back, that I actually like all of them. I record all of them and will watch each one at some point during the week (not the whole show just some time from each show).

I guess there is a questions of whether you like the show or the person or both but I mean the show.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm not a big talk show fan, but I've watched and liked Fallon, Colbert and Myers and have enjoyed them. I used to like Kimmel but he gives me the impression now of someone who thinks he's a bigger star than he actually is. Never watched Corden, and Conan is just ok

Old 09-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
JohnB1000

I probably should have done a favorite poll but truth is that I could not choose. I would vote Fallon, Conan and Corden as #1. Kimmel does some good stuff but there is something strangely unlikable about him despite him apparently being the nicest guy there is.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Honestly, I don't really like any of them.

The only one that I record is Jimmy Fallon, but I only end up watching about 1 per week depending on the guest that night.

I recorded and watched Letterman regularly for 15 years and dropped my recording of Colbert yesterday.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
brianric

I loathe Fallon and O'Brien. I use to watch Leno and Letterman, watched their monologue, only watched the rest if there was an interesting guest. Record Myers, Kimmel and Colbert. Myers and Kimmel are watched if interesting guest is on. Watching Colbert opening, his skits, and interesting guests.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
jimbop99

Recently started watching Kimmel. Loved Colbert on the Colbert Report. Both can be quite entertaining.

jimbop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I had never really watched the Stephen Colbert character back when he was on the previous show. But I have to say I am liking Stephen Colbert.

I also like Jimmy Fallon. I don't really watch the shows themselves, but I see plenty of clips of him doing the bits with celebrities. Those can be really funny and a lot of fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #9
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I think Fallon is great, but more of a late night variety show. If anything he's gotten worse at interviewing, since now all he does is talk about his kids and the guest's kids. Yikes, could NOT be more boring.

However The Roots are head and shoulders above any other band on Late Night, Steve Higgins is probably the best co-host, and Fallon is fantastic at impressions, skits, musical bits, games, etc. Even his recurring segments, which are a bit lame, are punched up a good bit by interplay with SteveH.

But I FF through almost every interview... yikes.

Colbert is settling in nicely, I think.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #10
series5orpremier

They're all at least tolerable and rank from good to great. I'll rank them independent of the production environment (bands, budget, atmosphere) of their respective shows:

1. Colbert
2. Meyers
3. Kimmel
4. Corden
5. Conan
6. Fallon

What puts Fallon at the bottom of the list is, although musically talented, he often comes across as a superficial show biz phony with nothing of substance to say (for fear of offending his guests? for fear of getting too heavy for the audience?).

Last edited by series5orpremier; 09-18-2015 at 01:12 AM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:34 AM   #11
Howie
Out of Pocket

I like them all OK, except I haven't seen Cordon. I'm partial to Kimmel and Fallon.

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I watch and record them all. Conan is definitely my least favorite. I only have two tuners on my Premiere, and previously those were recording Kimmel and Fallon. When Colbert started last week, I had to decide which show got relegated to the old Series 2, and it was Fallon. I've watched every episode of Colbert so far, but haven't gotten around to changing the input to the S2 yet. I really like Kimmel as well.

As for the later shows, I've really come to like Corden. He seems so personable, his interviews are so fun, and I love having multiple guests on the couch at once.

If I had to rank them, I'd go:

1. Colbert
2. Kimmel
3. Corden
4. Meyers
5. Fallon
6. Conan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
However The Roots are head and shoulders above any other band on Late Night, Steve Higgins is probably the best co-host, and Fallon is fantastic at impressions, skits, musical bits, games, etc. Even his recurring segments, which are a bit lame, are punched up a good bit by interplay with SteveH.
Ugh. I can't stand Higgins. Whenever Fallon is in the middle of a bit and then Higgins starts interjecting, the flow of the bit comes to a screeching halt and then Fallon gets the giggles and it just all falls apart. Sure, Higgins can be very funny, but he interjects so much, and it's only funny about 20% of the time. The rest of the time it's just annoying and ruins the show.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #13
Cearbhaill
Garden obsessed

We record Fallon but only watch if I hear that something fun happened.
We never sit through the entire show.
I'd record Colbert if we had more time.

Our favorite is Graham Norton.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #14
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I guess I consider Higgins to be critical to the "flow of the bit". What I think is that Fallon is not amazing by himself. However, he's really fantastic when he has someone to work with/play off (just not, as I said, to interview): probably better than anyone else in late night. If Higgins didn't interject as much as he does the segment would be flat. I have to admit I like it when they just start wandering off into meandering riffs. The riff sometimes doesn't seem to work but they keep pushing it and it goes absurdist and I think it's really funny.

I do agree with you that when Fallon just loses it and gets the giggles it doesn't work so well but if you watch him regularly you'll see that actually doesn't happen that often. He does break (like in the great SNL song ) but most of the time he doesn't dissolve and lose the segment.

The other thing that annoys me about Fallon's show: he spends an inordinate amount of time previewing upcoming guests, both on this show and future shows. Way more, it seems, than other hosts. I always FF this segment as well and that chops a good 5 minutes or more . I wish they'd just let The Roots play for that time every night...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I do miss Jon Stewart though Although not a traditional talk show host, I thought he had more interesting guests than the usual Hollywood types I care little to nothing about. It's the only one I recorded. I only record someone from the above list if there happens to be a guest I want to see.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
JohnB1000

Colbert is definitely not stocking his show with "usual Hollywood types" at this time.

I think Corden is great and think more people should give him a chance. His biggest flaw is his enthusiasm but it seems way more genuine than some of the others.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Colbert is definitely not stocking his show with "usual Hollywood types" at this time.

I think Corden is great and think more people should give him a chance. His biggest flaw is his enthusiasm but it seems way more genuine than some of the others.
I hope he continues to do the same. The fact that his show is in the middle of presidential campaign really helps. I just find the interview portion of most of these talk shows usually has someone trying to hawk a new TV show or movie, so to me, it just more advertising on top of the normal advertising.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

People promoting something is pretty much the rule as to why they are guests on a talk show. Wether it's a movie or a book or a TV show or an elected office.

I can totally see why people who want a late night talk show to be "serious" won't like Jimmy Fallon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #19
series5orpremier

It's more complicated than that with Fallon. I like comedy skits and parlor games, but he just doesn't seem to have enough maturity or life experience nor is funny enough off the top of his head to conduct a good interesting interview that's anything more than superficial. Too often the games are used as a distraction to kill time and be a crutch for that.

Last edited by series5orpremier; 09-19-2015 at 06:37 PM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #20
Peter000

TC CLUB MEMBER
I enjoy all of them, but don't watch any of them regularly. I watch mostly clips from their shows I run across on Facebook or other social sites.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #21
nirisahn

I really wanted to love James Corden. I love him as an actor and a writer, so I thought he'd do really well. I gave the show about three weeks but just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another shot soon now that he's had a chance to settle into his style.

nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #22
ElJay

There just is not enough time to watch them all. Colbert is the present winner for my eyeballs. Trevor Noah will get some amount of grace period from me.

I have not watched Fallon much in his current slot or otherwise... He's had things that put me in tears, it just wasn't consistent enough. Conan I watched religiously for a decade, but after the move to the earlier slots, there was not enough funny to soldier on. Corden and the other guys I just never really sampled much. Although I do check out the bass player in Corden's band which my Late Show padding is able to capture.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #23
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
There just is not enough time to watch them all. Colbert is the present winner for my eyeballs. Trevor Noah will get some amount of grace period from me.

I have not watched Fallon much in his current slot or otherwise... He's had things that put me in tears, it just wasn't consistent enough. Conan I watched religiously for a decade, but after the move to the earlier slots, there was not enough funny to soldier on. Corden and the other guys I just never really sampled much. Although I do check out the bass player in Corden's band which my Late Show padding is able to capture.
The thing about Fallon is that the really funny stuff gets out there. You don't have to sit down and watch the full hour every night to find it. It can be a big time saver.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #24
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
Honestly, I don't really like any of them.

The only one that I record is Jimmy Fallon, but I only end up watching about 1 per week depending on the guest that night.

I recorded and watched Letterman regularly for 15 years and dropped my recording of Colbert yesterday.
More or less a +1, except I'm more extreme. I do not like any of them enough to watch on a regular basis. I don't hate the guys I've seen: Conan and the Jimmys. They just don't do anything for me.

I was a big Letterman fan and haven't watched a late night talk show since he went off the air. This isn't a planned "protest" or anything like that. I just haven't wanted to watch anyone else.

tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #25
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I rarely ever watch any of them, but I like the Jimmies and Conan.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #26
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I was a big Letterman fan and haven't watched a late night talk show since he went off the air. This isn't a planned "protest" or anything like that. I just haven't wanted to watch anyone else.
I was both a Leno and Letterman fan, and like you there's no protest, although I am giving Colbert a serious look at.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like Colbert. And I really like that he's including the news segments into his new show. Makes it feel more like his old show (or TDS/LWT) just with longer guest segments. Rather then a traditional late night show with all the silly bits.

Conan is a bit to goofy for my taste. He has some funny bits here and there, but his whole personality is a little to over the top for me. I tried watching him for a while but couldn't get into the show.

I also tried watching Kimmel for a while. It was OK, but he always felt like such a network shill. So much of the show seemed like it was dedicated to promoting other ABC shows, and a lot of time it felt forced. I didn't like that.

Never seen any of the others.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #28
sushikitten
125 down! 16 to go!

I like Ellen.

I wish I had more time to watch Fallon but I just watch people I really want to see. I catch the best bits on YouTube.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #29
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

+1 for Graham Norton, although I can't figure out why BBC America has stopped airing season 18 after it ran the first episode four weeks ago. Mystery...

tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #30
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

If I'm watching the late local news and I see someone interesting is coming up on Kimmel, I'll set up a recording to grab that night's show. I'll watch the guest that was featured in the ad. Never the whole show. (The episodes I've watched most recently had appearances by Golden State Warriors players I wanted to see.)

Since Craig Ferguson left, the only talk show I record is The Graham Norton show.