TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
docprego

Help me understand how tuners are used

When I click info and go to the tuners list I see that all of them are tuned to different channels. Besides the one I am viewing and any recordings I scheduled why are the remaining tuners in use? They seem to be tuned to random stations. Does the TiVo require all tuners to always be tuned to something? This really confuses me.
docprego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

The tuners are always active and recording into its own buffer, so that even if you aren't actively saving a recording, you can hop back and forth between different tuners and have full "trick play" functionality (rewind, skip back, etc).

Some people who like watching live tv alot will sometimes use two tuners and hop back and forth, say for example two different live sports programs. (The 'last' button can come in handy for that exact thing)

Another thing is if you are watching a program "live" and decide to hit 'record', it will actually save as much of the show as it can, as much has been captured in the buffer and then continue recording through the end of the program.

The tuners remain on the last channel they were changed to, whether it was by a human, to record a scheduled recording/wishlist, or to record a suggestion (if enabled) until tasked to do otherwise.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
tarheelblue32

I keep the tuners I'm not using on the local broadcast channels because I know they don't use SDV. The tuning adapter I have from Time Warner sometimes gets confused if it has to tune more than 1 SDV channel at the same time. Once you set tuners to a channel, it pretty much sits there until the TiVo moves it for a recording or if you have a mini on your network that borrows a tuner.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I keep the tuners I'm not using on the local broadcast channels because I know they don't use SDV. The tuning adapter I have from Time Warner sometimes gets confused if it has to tune more than 1 SDV channel at the same time. Once you set tuners to a channel, it pretty much sits there until the TiVo moves it for a recording or if you have a mini on your network that borrows a tuner.
Do you just setup a 1 min manual recording to channels 2-7 or something in the early morning?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Do you just setup a 1 min manual recording to channels 2-7 or something in the early morning?
That would work, but I think that's doing it the hard way. If you click the info button to see the tuners, you can actually use the arrow and select buttons to select which specific tuner you want to use for live TV. Once the desired tuner is selected, you then can just change the channel to whatever channel you want that specific tuner to be on. Rinse and repeat on the other tuners as desired.

So every day or two when I get a tuning adapter error, I click the info button to see where all of the tuners are sitting, and if there is one (or more) sitting on a SDV channel, I select that tuner and then change the channel to a local broadcast channel to move the tuner there.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 02-03-2014 at 04:01 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote