TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
bengalfreak

Tivo Roamio & Time Warner Cable Southwest Ohio

I've been with DirecTV for the last 8 years. While the service has been great, the cost has just gotten completely out of hand. So I'm thinking of returning to cable with time Warner and getting a Tivo Roamio.

Before I do that, I'd like to know from those with first hand experience their opinion on how the Roamio works in concert with TWC and their cable cards and tuning adapters.

So please give me your personal experience with Tivo and TWC of southwest Ohio (I am particularly interested in the Dayton area).

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
squiddohio

I'm in Cincinnati, not Dayton, but when I got my XL4 a year or so ago, and when I got my Roamio Pro with 6 tuners in January the setup went without a hitch. I was able to pick up the cable cards and the Tuning Adapters from a TW store in advance, and then just called the TW national cable card number. The calls took at the most about 15 minutes. Don't call the local TW help desk - be sure to call the national number. I've been doing this dance with TWC since the first HD TiVo, when a technician had to bring the cable card to the house. Finally, they have got a workable and pretty convenient system in place.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I've had a Tivo HD in the Dayton area (TWC SW OH) since June 2009 and it's been a bumpy ride, mostly having to do with Tuning Adapter problems. (You will need a TA to get all the channels.)

I strongly agree you should minimize your contact with local support and use the National CableCARD help desk at 1.866.532.2598 . They are mostly quite competent although it is possible to get a dud even there. (If you do, just quit and call back later.)

I don't have a Roamio but TWC recently pushed the latest software versions to CableCARD's (Ver. 1.5.3_F.p.1101 on 1/21/14) and TA's (Ver. F.1901 on 2/21/14) and the national desk "thought" these updates were to support 6-tuner Roamios. Thus I'm puzzled why squiddohio had no problems with a Roamio install before those dates -- or maybe Cincy got those updates earlier than Dayton(?).

Anyway, you should check the software versions in you CC and TA that they give you. If they aren't the latest (given above) you should complain.

Hope springs eternal so maybe these latest updates will eliminate my TA problems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I've had a Tivo HD in the Dayton area (TWC SW OH) since June 2009 and it's been a bumpy ride, mostly having to do with Tuning Adapter problems. (You will need a TA to get all the channels.)

I strongly agree you should minimize your contact with local support and use the National CableCARD help desk at 1.866.532.2598 . They are mostly quite competent although it is possible to get a dud even there. (If you do, just quit and call back later.)

I don't have a Roamio but TWC recently pushed the latest software versions to CableCARD's (Ver. 1.5.3_F.p.1101 on 1/21/14) and TA's (Ver. F.1901 on 2/21/14) and the national desk "thought" these updates were to support 6-tuner Roamios. Thus I'm puzzled why squiddohio had no problems with a Roamio install before those dates -- or maybe Cincy got those updates earlier than Dayton(?).

Anyway, you should check the software versions in you CC and TA that they give you. If they aren't the latest (given above) you should complain.

Hope springs eternal so maybe these latest updates will eliminate my TA problems.
What has been the nature of your tuning adaptor issues and has it caused you to miss recordings because of it?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I've been with DirecTV for the last 8 years. While the service has been great, the cost has just gotten completely out of hand. So I'm thinking of returning to cable with time Warner and getting a Tivo Roamio.

Before I do that, I'd like to know from those with first hand experience their opinion on how the Roamio works in concert with TWC and their cable cards and tuning adapters.

So please give me your personal experience with Tivo and TWC of southwest Ohio (I am particularly interested in the Dayton area).

Thanks.
I've had very few issues (an occasional reboot of the TA)(I have 1 Roamio,2Preimeres, 1 HD) no CC problems. Really smooth sailing after initial setup. I transferred a CC from an HD and just called the CC hotline and in 10min I was up and running.
My suggestion:
1. Get your self install kit from Dayton Mall office. They have always been very helpful.
2. Hook your Roamio to internet and get all updates(may take several connections) BEFORE installing CC and TA.
3. Follow self install kit instructions. They have the number to call included. Make sure all the channels you pay extra for are tuning before hanging up.
4. CC fee is 2.50/month. No fee for TA
5. Enjoy You will love it!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
What has been the nature of your tuning adaptor issues and has it caused you to miss recordings because of it?
Some or all of the SDV channels will go missing and I then have to power-cycle the TA and restart the Tivo. One cycle of this takes about 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes two cycles. Has typically happened every 2 or 3 weeks.

Also, TA's Sub Expires date doesn't get automatically updated, requiring a support call, rebooting, etc., easily eating up a half hours. For the first year I had the Tivo this happened once a month. It started again in Dec. 2013.

I haven't found the Dayton Mall TWC store all that great although it is definitely the only one you should go to in the Dayton area. They tried to give me two CC's when my TiVo only needs one.

I have my fingers crossed that the recent CC and TA software updates have solved my TA problems.

And I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Roamio because of these problems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
rjgibson0066

Just came across this thread. I just purchased a Roamio after my beloved Series 3 died. I mistakenly thought I needed four cable cards so now have to go back to the Dayton Mall to get a M Card. I know the last time I set-up the Series 3 with the 2 cards it was a nightmare dealing with TW. After that it was smooth sailing until the TA, which as described above has to be re-cycled every few weeks/month. However recently it was getting better, but then then the Series 3 died.
rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
squiddohio

That seems strange. TW Cincinnati has not had single stream Cable Cards for a year or two - all cards are M cards, which will work on any number of streams, or at least 1 to 6. (I had two of them in my original S3, when one of the original single stream cards went bad after a few years and had to be replaced, and the M card works perfectly in my 6 tuner Roamio Pro). You might want to look at those 4 cards to be sure they are not M cards; if so, you will only need to return 3 of them.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
rjgibson0066

Yeah, attention to detail is not my strength. I go to TW with the four cards and all four are M cards. I had just assumed my old Series 3 cards were not and the news ones looked the same as the old ones... but had I just looked at the cards they all said multi stream... DUH!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Captain Spaulding

Wow, bengalfreak! I was just getting ready to make an almost identical post asking the same questions for the same area (I'm in Centerville). We've been with DirecTV for at least 11 years. Service has been excellent, but my wife and I sometimes really miss TiVo. DirecTV's current TiVo is stuck with very old TiVo software and is not nearly as nice as a Roamio appears to be.

I'm considering picking up a Roamio, getting TWC installed, and seeing how it goes. I wouldn't cancel DirecTV until I was sure everything was stable.

Is there anyone here in the Dayton area who would be willing to let me come over and see how your Roamio is working? I'll be happy to bring pizza, beer, or some similar "bribe"! But seriously, I'd love to see a system in action before I try it out.
Captain Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
rjgibson0066

If it weren't for Tivo, I would drop TW like a hot potato. Their customer service is absolutely horrendous. With that said, thanks to this thread I called their national cable card support hotline and it was fantastic - highly recommend going that route vs calling the local number.

^ I am in Centerville too, and just got a Roamio this week - would be happy to let you see and test drive.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post
.... I'm considering picking up a Roamio, getting TWC installed, and seeing how it goes. I wouldn't cancel DirecTV until I was sure everything was stable. ......
You don't have to cancel DirecTV at all, at least for 6 months. All you have to do is call them and suspend your service up to 6 months. That's what I did to give the Roamio and a few things a test drive and now I'm only going to reactivate DirecTV again for football season to burn out the rest of my contract.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
Captain Spaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You don't have to cancel DirecTV at all, at least for 6 months. All you have to do is call them and suspend your service up to 6 months. That's what I did to give the Roamio and a few things a test drive and now I'm only going to reactivate DirecTV again for football season to burn out the rest of my contract.
Thanks, Dave. It had slipped my mind that I could suspend my DirecTV account for a while.
Captain Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote