Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
DVReveler

Update to Netflix??

TiVo Margret Schmidt (@tivodesign)
12/9/13, 3:04 PM
#TiVo Premiere customers who love #Netflix - today is a good day to get on the list for the next update: tivo.com/priority

Download the official Twitter app here
DVReveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds like Premiere users might be getting the new HTML5 Netflix app like the Roamio.

I'm glad to see the Premiere isn't getting left in the dust in favor of the Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Sounds like Premiere users might be getting the new HTML5 Netflix app like the Roamio.

I'm glad to see the Premiere isn't getting left in the dust in favor of the Roamio.
I was actually stunned that HTML5 support came to the Premieres. I think we have the cable partners to thank for that. It's also the reason next year the Premieres' will get the new Roamio look and feel.

And it's understandable why TiVo would want to devote most of its resources to the new platform. That's exactly what other companies do when they release a new model.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
DVReveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
And it's understandable why TiVo would want to devote most of its resources to the new platform. That's exactly what other companies do when they release a new model.
What other companies are you referring to? Do these other companies also charge a monthly fee to use their products? I think because TiVo is a service they are obligated to continue to support their older boxes. And they don't do a very good job of it in my opinion.
DVReveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVReveler View Post
I think because TiVo is a service they are obligated to continue to support their older boxes.
I agree they are obligated to continue to support their older boxes so that they stay operational, but that does not mean they are obligated to keep updating the boxes to support additional features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVReveler View Post
What other companies are you referring to? Do these other companies also charge a monthly fee to use their products? I think because TiVo is a service they are obligated to continue to support their older boxes. And they don't do a very good job of it in my opinion.
Smart phones, which you pay a monthly service fee for, frequently do not get the latest updates. This is true across all OS's. Can also be true of tablets.

Of course, you can argue that you're paying the service fee to a different company than the one that made the hardware, but that doesn't actually change anything about the discussion, because you buy the hardware from the company that sells the service, so the obligation is still the same.

If you have an Xbox 360, you aren't getting some of the online features of the One, despite paying for Xbox Live. Same with PS+.

Part of why it's difficult to find many examples is most companies just flat out phase out the old hardware when the new hardware comes out, so you can't actually compare the two. And there aren't a lot of subscription hardware industries left anymore.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I don't have a Roamio, what is HTML5?
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Sashieden

HTML5 is basically talking about embeded video in browsers but apps are starting to use it instead of Java which helps keep things more uniform between different platforms.
Sashieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashieden View Post
HTML5 is basically talking about embeded video in browsers but apps are starting to use it instead of Java which helps keep things more uniform between different platforms.
A little over my head but at least now I am in the loop. Thanks.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

The old apps were based on AdobeAir, which was basically a version of Flash for devices. A few devices used it, like smart TVs, BluRay players, etc... but each had minor differences so companies like Netflix had to maintain different versions of the app for each device.

HTML5 is a web standard that will run in any HTML5 compatible browser. So the device makers themselves can maintain the HTML5 compatible browser and any HTML5 based app will run. This makes it much easier for the service providers to supply apps because they only have to write one HTML5 compatible app and they can deploy it to all devices with an HTML5 compatible browser. No need to maintain special versions for every device. This means that more niche devices, like TiVo, will get support from services which may not have seen them as worth the effort to develop/maintain a custom AdobeAir app for.

By adding HTML5 support to the Premiere units they've opened up the platform to a LOT more services. We already know that the Opera app store is coming, which is a little app market full of HTML5 apps. (although most pretty obscure) But it'll also open up the possibility for top tier services like Amazon Prime Streaming, HBOGo, VUDU, etc... as most of those services are converting to HTML5 based apps for easier maintenance.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Anyone get the update yet?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Johncv

Quote:
The old apps were based on AdobeAir, which was basically a version of Flash for devices. A few devices used it, like smart TVs, BluRay players, etc... but each had minor differences so companies like Netflix had to maintain different versions of the app for each device.

HTML5 is a web standard that will run in any HTML5 compatible browser. So the device makers themselves can maintain the HTML5 compatible browser and any HTML5 based app will run. This makes it much easier for the service providers to supply apps because they only have to write one HTML5 compatible app and they can deploy it to all devices with an HTML5 compatible browser. No need to maintain special versions for every device. This means that more niche devices, like TiVo, will get support from services which may not have seen them as worth the effort to develop/maintain a custom AdobeAir app for.

By adding HTML5 support to the Premiere units they've opened up the platform to a LOT more services. We already know that the Opera app store is coming, which is a little app market full of HTML5 apps. (although most pretty obscure) But it'll also open up the possibility for top tier services like Amazon Prime Streaming, HBOGo, VUDU, etc... as most of those services are converting to HTML5 based apps for easier maintenance.
So, what you're saying is that the TiVo interface is a stand alone web browser that can run HTML5?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
So, what you're saying is that the TiVo interface is a stand alone web browser that can run HTML5?
Not quite. TiVo interface now has ability to run internal Opera browser which in turn supports html5.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah the UI itself is still Adobe Air. That's unlikely to change as TiVo has invested a LOT into the development of the HDUI.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
hairyblue
A good Man

I put my 2 Tivos on the list. I prefer to watch netflix on my Tivo but it's been hanging and studdering lately so I have to watch it on my playstation.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
dboff01

I received the FW update last night but have had a C133 error since the reboot.
dboff01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
b_scott
TiVo Fan

too little too late for me - I'm already running my Premiere through my Xbox One and I'll be using my X1's Netflix for sure.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
b_scott
TiVo Fan

My system seemed like it rebooted - on 20.3.8-01-2-748

Is that new? Netflix looks the same.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
davezatz
Funkadelic

The new Netflix app will be pushed next week, per Margret on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...85059351576576
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
b_scott
TiVo Fan

ah thank you.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #21
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Ok, I believe if you already have 20.3.8 installed on your Premiere, and you connect to the TiVo Service a couple of times, then the next time you launch Netflix you will get the new experience.

If you don't have 20.3.8 yet, you can still sign up at tivo.com/priority, but you might not get the update until January.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #22
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Ok, I believe if you already have 20.3.8 installed on your Premiere, and you connect to the TiVo Service a couple of times, then the next time you launch Netflix you will get the new experience.

If you don't have 20.3.8 yet, you can still sign up at tivo.com/priority, but you might not get the update until January.

--Margret
Yes, the new HTML5 Netflix UI just launched on my Premieres this morning.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
ydc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
It is on mine this morning as well! I'm still mostly using my TiVoHD these days and the NetFlix client that comes with it, so can't compare it really to the previous client on the Premiere. I would have like to have seen profile support on it, but otherwise it seems OK so far. Will take some more time to see whether I like it better than the TiVoHD version enough to switch to it.
ydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:

--Margret
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I just checked out the new interface, and I like it. More importantly, it's snappier, and as soon as I started to watch a show, I got 1080p/24 !!!

So far, so good. IMO, definitely a huge improvement.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:

DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
Walter Lambert

Received the new Netflix app this morning on my Premiere Elite. Big, Big, Big improvement! Thank you.
Walter Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
shamilian

Like the roamio version -

no profiles yet....

Still no ability to change zoom/full/panel mode from within the app.
(zoom button seems to be exit button)

seems to navigate well (much faster) and no problems streaming...
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Like the roamio version -

no profiles yet....
With any luck, Profiles will come to the Roamio, Mini, and Premiere versions this week. (Fingers crossed.)

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
jgametest

Wink Are you still there?

That was weird. My kids are watching "Curious George" in the category of KIDS and after 3 videos. Netflix paused and faded with a question..

Are you still there? YES Continue or NO.

Ok.. I click YES and the video continues.

Sounds like we are getting away from the endless video playback to eliminate are you still watching or did you walk away. Does this have to do with inaccurate data being collected by Nelson Ratings based on BINGE watching. Uh oh you mean some are not watching non-stop just forgot to hit TIVO to go back or went on to do an errand?
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #30
shamilian

Updated Netflix with Profiles.

Quote:
With any luck, Profiles will come to the Roamio, Mini, and Premiere versions this week. (Fingers crossed.)

--Margret
My Christmas wishes are coming true.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote