TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Leno out, Fallon in perhaps?

Just saw this come across twitter, so take it with a grain of salt..

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1278101

Thank god, Leno's schtick has gotten so tiring, and Fallon is great...
Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I thought it was established that Leno can't be removed. That was only three years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Does this mean Fallon will replace Conan? Or will he get a late night gig on some other network like Lifetime or TLC after Leno cuts his stones off?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
lambertman
Not single!

I don't know what's more scary; the thought of Jimmy Fallon hosting the Tonight Show, or the fact that I'd be just fine with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Sparty99

Sorry, not buying it. Leno's still at the top of the ratings and after the previous messiness, I don't think he's going anywhere until he himself chooses to do so.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

nydailynews posted a very similar story just two months, accept in that story the also reported the well known fact that Leno's contract goes to end of 2014.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1220267

Maybe they think reporting this on a bimonthly basis will make it come true.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
rahnbo

It doesn't matter to me I would rather watch a monkey on a rock before watching Leno.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

2015: Leno gets the Tonight Show back, with NBC having given Fallon 5 days to get ratings. Leno's two remaining living viewers rejoice.
ELSE
Leno blows his brains out (not shooting from the jaw) because he can't live with not being on TV.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 03-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
ElJay

I'm not buying it either. Leno will be in until he wants to leave. The idea of "NBC execs" forcing him out after what happened in 2010 is unbelievable.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjf8 View Post
I'm not sure why you're thankful.

If you don't like Leno, fine---don't watch him. But apparently you like Fallon and you can already see him on Late Night, so I don't see how this is so much better for you.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
JYoung
Series 3

Obviously, the whole Conan getting booted off of the Tonight Show" was orchestrated by Fallon.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

This all sounds familiar...
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Obviously, the whole Conan getting booted off of the Tonight Show" was orchestrated by Fallon.
The word is that Fallon planted the "Jay is retiring" story like Leno's Helen Kushnick did to Carson.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I think NBC is much more desperate for ratings this time around. The network is failing and they have little to lose.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
tiams

Craig Ferguson blows all of them away!!!!!!!!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
zalusky

Except in ratings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #17
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjf8 View Post
Leno's standup is getting a bit old, but he doesn't write that stuff anyway. Hiring some new writers could help. What Leno is great at is interviewing. His conversations with guests are much more interesting then his monologue.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
lambertman
Not single!

I just thought of something - this might mean Carson Daly at 12:37. Oof.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Sorry, not buying it. Leno's still at the top of the ratings and after the previous messiness, I don't think he's going anywhere until he himself chooses to do so.
Actually, since Kimmel moved to 11:35, he's been doing pretty well in the ratings, and he's beaten Leno several times. It won't be long before Kimmel is consistently the top-rated late show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post

Leno's standup is getting a bit old, but he doesn't write that stuff anyway. Hiring some new writers could help. What Leno is great at is interviewing. His conversations with guests are much more interesting then his monologue.
Really?!?! I like Leno. But his interviewing has always been his weak spot. Good interviewers make it sound like they're having a conversation with the guest, but Leno's style makes it painfully obvious that he's just following the script prepared as a result of the pre-interview.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
whitson77
Director Level

I love Fallon. But I don't really watch late night stuff anymore.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
What kept NBC from keeping Conan and letting Leno walk back when that whole "thing" came to pass was Leno's contract. NBC made a decision based on counting the beans. Letting Leno leave meant paying him a lot more than they'd have to pay Conan so they let Conan walk.

If Conan's ratings had been higher, they might have opted to let Leno leave and just take the financial hit, but with sinking ratings, and a lower cost to keep Leno, NBC just let Conan go.

That contract that was in effect when faced with that earlier choice is coming to an end. NBC can extend that contract and lock themselves into more time with Leno (which could mean lower ratings throughout the contract), or they can pay a much smaller fee for kicking Leno to the curb, if they pay anything at all (depending on when they make a change over to someone else).

As noted by others here, Kimmel is giving Leno and Letterman both a good run for the money in the ratings, especially in key demographics and that will likely continue to get worse as the Leno fans are aging quickly.

Leno may not want to leave, but he may find himself without a home, or at least without the old Tonight Show home. It could get very interesting to see him having to go off to another net or cable channel.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
Leno may not want to leave, but he may find himself without a home, or at least without the old Tonight Show home. It could get very interesting to see him having to go off to another net or cable channel.
Maybe TBS will put him on after Conan.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
What kept NBC from keeping Conan and letting Leno walk back when that whole "thing" came to pass was Leno's contract. NBC made a decision based on counting the beans. Letting Leno leave meant paying him a lot more than they'd have to pay Conan so they let Conan walk.

If Conan's ratings had been higher, they might have opted to let Leno leave and just take the financial hit, but with sinking ratings, and a lower cost to keep Leno, NBC just let Conan go.

That contract that was in effect when faced with that earlier choice is coming to an end. NBC can extend that contract and lock themselves into more time with Leno (which could mean lower ratings throughout the contract), or they can pay a much smaller fee for kicking Leno to the curb, if they pay anything at all (depending on when they make a change over to someone else).

As noted by others here, Kimmel is giving Leno and Letterman both a good run for the money in the ratings, especially in key demographics and that will likely continue to get worse as the Leno fans are aging quickly.

The thing is, networks simply aren't going to get the ratings that they used to get, no matter what they put on the air. So NBC is likely unhappy with Leno's ratings, but then they'll replace him with someone and that person will likely get lower ratings, and they'll blame it on the new person, when in fact, it's just a fact of the new media world - there are too many choices and people under 30 aren't really into the standard late-night talk show format.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Leno is adequately inoffensive.

I find Fallon to be equally dull with a handful of shining moments.

Blech.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The thing is, networks simply aren't going to get the ratings that they used to get, no matter what they put on the air. So NBC is likely unhappy with Leno's ratings, but then they'll replace him with someone and that person will likely get lower ratings, and they'll blame it on the new person, when in fact, it's just a fact of the new media world - there are too many choices and people under 30 aren't really into the standard late-night talk show format.
That's what is so ironic about how the Conan vs. Jay Leno situation went down. NBC wasn't pleased with the ratings that they were getting from Conan but Conan was being handed a dwindling audience thanks to, in large part, Jay Leno and NBC's own dearth or attractive programming earlier in the night.

If Conan had taken over when NBC had a more competitive slate of programming and there wasn't a chance that Leno could be brought back from waiting in the wings, then Conan might have done better and NBC might have better ratings for Tonight at this point. Conan left for another outlet and took some share of the audience with him, some left for Letterman, and some has jumped over to Kimmel, and others still have moved on completely. As you've noted, it's a changed landscape for sure.

Now, a few years later, Leno's numbers continue to dwindle and competition from ABC is getting stronger. It will cost NBC much, much less to kick Leno to the curb and won't cost them much to hand off the Tonight time slot to Fallon (or someone else) if they opt to. They obviously hope that whomever takes over is appealing to young males and others in the key demographics so they can at least keep Tonight profitable for the network.

Again, the ironic thing is that Conan's Tonight show was supposedly profitable. Barely so, but at least it was there. Leno's performance was definitely better and he did bring the numbers back up for a while, but lately he seems to be sliding and Kimmel seems to have a head of steam built up now.

Worse still for NBC is that if they can't get the audience back for Tonight and it's follow-on, and that audience instead goes with Kimmel, then the audience may very well stick with ABC's morning programming which gives Good Morning America a boost while lowering Today's ratings. (Which was absolutely on their mind when looking at the Jay Leno vs. Conan situation)

I don't blame NBC for looking hard at the situation now, but I think it's sad that they lost a talented late night host to a competitor because they couldn't figure out how to phase Leno out in a way that would work for everyone involved.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
I really need to read my copy of "The War for Late Night"..

But you're really claiming that they'd've had to pay Leno more than $45 million?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I find Fallon to be equally dull with a handful of shining moments.
(Letterman is the only one of them that I watch entire shows of - but even that is VERY backed up, and I watch faster than realtime.. I used to even convert to audio podcast so I could listen at 2x -- I get the vast majority of the comedy just from the audio. But I record the others for various funny bits throughout the week.)

It's actually kind of weird how they talk about Fallon having the young demo, but what I like is the common game show bits he does, and at least some of those (e.g. Password) are homages to a way older demo than me! I think his various games are the entertaining part of the show, and I watch those & some musical guests, and ignore the rest of the show the vast majority of the time.
(He could be a really good game show host.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I'm not sure why you're thankful.

If you don't like Leno, fine---don't watch him. But apparently you like Fallon and you can already see him on Late Night, so I don't see how this is so much better for you.
If anything, Fallon fans will find that an earlier time slot will result in watered down comedy to please a wider audience, just like when Conan briefly took over the Tonight Show.

I say, leave the schedule the way it is until Jay chooses to retire.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #28
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
That's what is so ironic about how the Conan vs. Jay Leno situation went down. NBC wasn't pleased with the ratings that they were getting from Conan but Conan was being handed a dwindling audience thanks to, in large part, Jay Leno and NBC's own dearth or attractive programming earlier in the night.
Clarification: Before the Jay Leno Show premiered in September, O'Brien had lost a good chunk of Leno's Tonight Show audience in the previous three months, but he was still beating Letterman (most of the time).

Certainly, Leno's show and the NBC execs' "Programming for profit, not ratings" didn't help matters but Leno's lower lead in ratings were affecting the local news broadcast ratings more than O'Brien's ratings.

Between the complaints from the local affiliates about Leno's lead-in and the Letterman Blackmail story suddenly jumping Dave's ratings much higher and beating O'Brien consistently, NBC panicked and pulled O'Brien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I really need to read my copy of "The War for Late Night"..

But you're really claiming that they'd've had to pay Leno more than $45 million?
As I recall, Leno had a "Pay or Play" clause in his contract in that he had a guaranteed two years, otherwise NBC would have to pay him $150 million and he'd be free to go look for a job on another network.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #29
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
As I recall, Leno had a "Pay or Play" clause in his contract in that he had a guaranteed two years, otherwise NBC would have to pay him $150 million and he'd be free to go look for a job on another network.
That's what I read.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I remember the number being $140 million, but either way, it's significantly more than the $40+ million that it took to buy out Conan.