TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
dougdingle
HD Tech

Blue spinning Circle of Death is back

EDIT: It cleared up here literally moments ago (1:05PM PST), without any other updates or connections. Seems like the issue was, once again, on the TiVo server end of things.

The problem returned with the latest 'update', which also strangely included a message telling me that One Pass has 'improved', except I was sent the identical message a month or more ago.

Methinks something got SERIOUSLY screwed up in the last update.

Really, TiVo, having to watch the blue Circle of Death spinning waiting 15-20 seconds for a folder to indicate how many seasons are recorded, then waiting 15-20 seconds AGAIN to populate it with the titles, then having to wait again for the video to start playing, is soooo beyond unacceptable.

Get it together, would you please? This is the second time this has happened, and it's starting to feel like you've hired a bunch of programmers who used to program cableco settop boxes with all the problems you're generating.

Just so unlike the TiVo I've known for at least a decade.

Last edited by dougdingle; 11-07-2015 at 03:10 PM.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
mlcarson

Makes you wonder how this ever got by testing or whatever QC they might have in place for these updates.

mlcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
drkmstr

Same problem on my Roamio pro and basic. Plus I cannot connect through my iPad or iPhone.

drkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
das335

Yep. Seeing the same blue circle after the recent unexpected upgrade to the RC release. On average, I am seeing at least a 30 second delay in bringing up a list of shows in a folder. I restarted my Roamio basic and it did not change anything.

I went back and checked my Premiere, which is still running the stable software release and there is no delay on bringing up shows.

das335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Maybe the slowdown is related to work being done on the time problem? I see it now. I hope it doesn't last.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
drkmstr

Strangely I reset my router and the circles disappeared and my iOS app started working again.

drkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
dougdingle
HD Tech

Aaaaaaand...it cleared up on my machine moments ago. No router reset performed here.

Seems like the issue was not the update, but something on the TiVo server end of things.

The other 'coincidence' was that neither my Roamio Pro nor my aged Series 3 was able to see TiVo Desktop and its folder, and now it suddenly can.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
jasonander

This happened to me as well on my two Roamios. Started last night and continued through this morning. I called support but they weren't aware of any server issues or other people complaining about the problem, and the tech wouldn't be able to elevate unless more people contacted support with the same problem. So if this happens to you, please call in so we can get Tivo engineers to finally admit they have a problem and fix it! A server-side issue on the Tivo end should not result in a sluggish TiVo UI where it takes 60 seconds to access folders, recordings, etc.!

jasonander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
dougdingle
HD Tech

The first level of defense by marginal tech support is "We are not aware of any problems. No one else has reported this problem. It must be you."

When there are dozens of posts here with the problem, the one certainty is that there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of customers experiencing the same thing, and some if not many have already called and been told the same lie.

It's shameful that TiVo has resorted to doing it.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

yeah, for the past two weeks or so, primarily on weekends, i've seen sporadic spinning blue circles when navigating the menus, but never for more than a few seconds.

this weekend has been much smoother than the previous two.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

To be fair, it's not a Circle of Death. More a Circle of Getting in the Way of Watching TV Temporarily.

Just sayin'...

Old 11-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
samccfl99
I Am Sometimes Vocal

It's Back???? It never left. They need to stop going to their servers for anything local. They are IDIOTS in CA where they do the NON-DEVELOPMENT. This fight has been going on since I been on tivo starting with my XL4 in 2012. I got rid of that boat anchor in 18 months. Could not even run the thing in HD mode it was so slow. Most of the time mine spins, when it does do it, when I am in My Shows selecting a recording from a group...I used to disconnect my ethernet when it was too much and that fixed it, but now that I am on Moca, I do not know how to disconnect it from them unless I change the network connection type. It really does not happen too often and I did not notice anything worse in 2b.RC1. GUESS THAT IS WHY IT IS AN RC...HAHAHA. NEXT USELESS UPDATE COMING UP................

THANK YOU TIVO....

samccfl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
MikeBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samccfl99 View Post
It's Back???? It never left. They need to stop going to their servers for anything local. They are IDIOTS in CA where they do the NON-DEVELOPMENT. This fight has been going on since I been on tivo starting with my XL4 in 2012. I got rid of that boat anchor in 18 months. Could not even run the thing in HD mode it was so slow. Most of the time mine spins, when it does do it, when I am in My Shows selecting a recording from a group...I used to disconnect my ethernet when it was too much and that fixed it, but now that I am on Moca, I do not know how to disconnect it from them unless I change the network connection type. It really does not happen too often and I did not notice anything worse in 2b.RC1. GUESS THAT IS WHY IT IS AN RC...HAHAHA. NEXT USELESS UPDATE COMING UP................

THANK YOU TIVO....

Dude, you REALLY need a chill-pill.

Please just STOP pumping your nasty comments into all the threads. Obviously there are issues, but there's no need to possibly piss off the Tivo admins that can actually fix these problems.

Do a post to let them know you are having issues, but do it calmly, and just state the facts. Hyperbole can be left on the cutting-room floor...

MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
To be fair, it's not a Circle of Death. More a Circle of Getting in the Way of Watching TV Temporarily.
TiVo Blue Balls Spiral of Suffering... My TiVo lets me think I'm going to get to watch what I want, when I want, but then it just spurns my advances.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 03:47 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
TiVo Blue Balls Spiral of Suffering... My TiVo lets me think I'm going to get to watch what I want, when I want, but then it just spurns my advances.
Heh, I like yours better.

Well, I HATE yours better, but you know what I mean.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #16
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Dude, you REALLY need a chill-pill.

Please just STOP pumping your nasty comments into all the threads. Obviously there are issues, but there's no need to possibly piss off the Tivo admins that can actually fix these problems.

Do a post to let them know you are having issues, but do it calmly, and just state the facts. Hyperbole can be left on the cutting-room floor...
This blue circle crap has been going on for a very long time with no acknowledgement from TiVo that the problem even exists and no indication that anything is going to be done about it and you are concerned that THEY will get pissed?

RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
RayChuang88

<--saying a lot of things not suitable for this forum

I was wondering why I was getting the "blue circle of death" when accessing the My Shows portion on my TiVo Roamio Pro from around 10:00 pm on Friday, November 6, 2015 until after I restarted the DVR around 6:00 am the next day. There has to be something in the code TiVo sends to the DVR on a daily basis that causes this problem.

TiVo HD XL (157 hours HD) -- nowretired
Roamio Pro (475 hours HD) -- now active
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
This blue circle crap has been going on for a very long time with no acknowledgement from TiVo that the problem even exists and no indication that anything is going to be done about it and you are concerned that THEY will get pissed?
I guess we're all hoping that TiVo just needs to reconfigure their servers or optimize some code there to make this all work smoothly. But the nightmare scenario is that TiVo is trying to do data collection on a scale for which they simply can't afford the resources. IOW, to make this (misguided?) report-everything strategy work properly in real time, they may need not only fast Internet connections at every TiVo box, but also giant Google-style server farms scattered across the country to accept the massive data flow from those countless connections.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
fred2

I've now had this circle of whatever for the last few days. I've also had it in the past but the recent spate were longer circles.

So, let me ask, my Roamio OTA needs to "CALL HOME (tm)" each and every time I want to watch shows that are already recorded on my tivo? So, if my router went down for whatever reason or CenturyLink had an outage, I would not be able to watch tivo-recorded shows? I guess I could test but am not in the mood to do so! Or am I mis-reading the thread and how my Roamio-OTA works?

Thanks in advance.

fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
I've now had this circle of whatever for the last few days. I've also had it in the past but the recent spate were longer circles.

So, let me ask, my Roamio OTA needs to "CALL HOME (tm)" each and every time I want to watch shows that are already recorded on my tivo? So, if my router went down for whatever reason or CenturyLink had an outage, I would not be able to watch tivo-recorded shows? I guess I could test but am not in the mood to do so! Or am I mis-reading the thread and how my Roamio-OTA works?

Thanks in advance.
Nothing external can stop you from watching what is recorded on your unit. If you had a Mini then the router might be needed. However, you can pull the plug on your modem, lose some functions and get a few error messages. These would not be fatal. Also, it does not "call home" for every action. Those calls can be seen with the System Information display. It varies, but I find 90 minutes to several hours is the usual spacing. Loss of internet will cause the displayed errors only when you need it or it's a scheduled access that fails.

Try it someday.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Also, it does not "call home" for every action. Those calls can be seen with the System Information display. It varies, but I find 90 minutes to several hours is the usual spacing.
I have to disagree. The box is constantly chattering to 'mom' outside the normal daily downloads. It seems to have a teeny tiny local cache for things like icons, and 'explore this show' seems to be totally online real time access. Lots of other things as well.

When a problem like the longish spinning blue circle manifests in the way that it has, every single time you see it is because the TiVo server is not responding fast enough to a request. So opening a folder, it apparently talks to mom, for example.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
FitzAusTex

This happens WAY, WAY WAY too much. It should virtually never happen. Tivo needs to invest in the infrastructure to ensure this is a nonexistent issue. I can't even delete something off my roamio when this **** is happening. Ok, i feel better, thanks.

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #23
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I have to disagree. The box is constantly chattering to 'mom' outside the normal daily downloads. It seems to have a teeny tiny local cache for things like icons, and 'explore this show' seems to be totally online real time access. Lots of other things as well.
search is a good example of one of the other things. if i suspect tivo network sluggishness, a quick search (or search failure) has confirmed my suspicions.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #24
samccfl99
I Am Sometimes Vocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Obviously there are issues, but there's no need to possibly piss off the Tivo admins that can actually fix these problems.
DUDE, that is the funniest response I ever saw.

I had so much more written, but got distracted and decided not to send it.

OK, here is a little piece of it:

This is also why I rarely go to TivoCommunity, being there are a small number of people WHO LIVE ON HERE AND MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THAT AND BELIEVE A STATEMENT LIKE YOU MADE.

Have a nice day!

Old 11-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
samccfl99
I Am Sometimes Vocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
This happens WAY, WAY WAY too much. It should virtually never happen. Tivo needs to invest in the infrastructure to ensure this is a nonexistent issue. I can't even delete something off my roamio when this **** is happening. Ok, i feel better, thanks.
It used to be way way worse when the C133 was in effect for a year. They fixed that in 20.4.1 when it came out on 04-14-2014, which showed that a lot was in the software in the box, but also they had problems with their servers. You could do nada when they had that problem before that when I got my RP on 20.3.6.6 on 10-12-2013. Yes, I keep very good track of their software. A bit anal on this topic. We pay a fortune for the equipment and get screwed on the monthly service (yes, no Lifetime here so don't even bother to comment, not you of course, I love your post!). OH WELL...

Old 11-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #26
hillyard

Yep ... Raising prices and slowing down is a prime way of pleasing customers.

Also why do you need internet to delete things on your own box.

Seems that they want to be Apple while doing less than Apple

hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #27
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyard View Post
Also why do you need internet to delete things on your own box.
That is the most insane thing. Far more than anything else, I get the spinning circle when deleting things. There is no reason it should ever need to phone home for permission to delete something. If they are gathering marketing data, then for God's sake gather it in the background and phone home with it when your server is talking, don't make me wait for your worthless servers.

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Far more than anything else, I get the spinning circle when deleting things.
Interesting, I used to see this but it's been quite a while. In fact, until the past few days I don't recall seeing the blue circle at all for ages...

Old 11-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #29
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I used to see this but it's been quite a while.
Another irritating thing I get all the time on delete is when I pick the "stop recording and delete" option. A good 50% of the time, the blue circle will spin, the recording will (eventually) stop, but it won't delete the show. I have to hit "Clear" again to make it delete. They should just change the interface so that hitting "Clear" means "Stop recording" and not bother to bring up the menu of options since I wind up having to hit "Clear" twice anyway :-).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Another irritating thing I get all the time on delete is when I pick the "stop recording and delete" option. A good 50% of the time, the blue circle will spin, the recording will (eventually) stop, but it won't delete the show.
And this is the same for me as the previous example...used to see it, haven't in ages.

What's interesting is that different people are obviously having different Blue Circle experiences during this resurgence. We're both seeing it, but obviously it's been a lot worse for you than for me.