TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Damiansnpvp4

Plex app is no good!!!

What is so great about Plex? Ok it has all the bells & whistles, it looks pretty, but looks is not good enough, it needs to function in the real world & not being able to play many formats doesn't cut it. Plex could not play many formats through Xbox a year ago & with Tivo, same complaint. Later I switched to PS3 media server & found it so much better than Plex. As for Plex, after all this time I can't believe they have not been able to make improvements in regards to video formats. Tivo use to offer Tivo desktop, but that was horrible! A year ago I located a program called Streambaby & after playing over 500 videos/tv etc... I can only recall 1 or 2 that did not play. That blows away anything else available that I know of & makes me wonder how the others can't seem to figure out how to play multiple formats. Streambaby I believe was developed by the public, not a company & it can play just about anything you throw at it. I sure will not be going back to Plex anytime soon. damiansnpvp4

Damiansnpvp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
foghorn2

Plex has always been pure garbage.
It does not belong on the Tivo.

I just have a FireTV with Kodi. Works way better. Plays anything including ISO's.

I used to use a WDTV, even that was better than anything with Plex on it.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
monkeydust

Plex works fine for us 95% of the time.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
dahacker

I've been using Plex with Roku 2 and 3 for over two years. Absolutely awesome and the direct play is excellent.

The Tivo Plex App is neutered to 720p and 4Mbps and the GUI is sluggish compared to a Roku 3. Bitrates are everything and I'm always in the 20-40 Mbps streaming range from my computer to Roku.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
Chuck_IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
I've been using Plex with Roku 2 and 3 for over two years. Absolutely awesome and the direct play is excellent.

The Tivo Plex App is neutered to 720p and 4Mbps and the GUI is sluggish compared to a Roku 3. Bitrates are everything and I'm always in the 20-40 Mbps streaming range from my computer to Roku.
Yep. I just started getting into Plex. I had a prior PC sitting around collecting dust and my daughter wanted a minecraft server. So I started one on it and also decided to run a Plex server on it.

I have always ripped all my Blu-Rays and DVD to MKV's for years. For my 2 main TV's I have a WD LIve SMP player on one and a Popcorn Hour A210 on the other, which do great jobs. However, it's nice to have access to my movies now on the 3 bedroom TV's via either the Tivo Minis or the Rokus I have. I do hate that the Tivo version is seriously neutered tho.

The only shortcoming I have with Plex is I only every get DTS from any movie. I mis out on the HD audio list DTS Master Audio and such. This is where the WD Live and Popcorn Hour shine. They handle full HD audio.

Charter Cable
Chuck_IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
emusnes

With the faster CPU will the Bolt perform better with Plex?

emusnes is offline   Reply With Quote