TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
TVjunky

Why are there any discrepancies in scheduling

Why is there a section for scheduling changes?

I am a potential new customer and if there is one thing that frustrates me more it's inaccurate scheduling data. If a program wants to be seen the company that produces the show or the network that airs it needs to provide accurate up to date info and if i will be paying a fee to tivo for this data then they should be catching inaccurate data so it becomes seamless to it's customers that PAY for this information.

It is beyond me why some networks advertise new episodes but when you look at "first aired on" data it shows a date in the past so if you are only recording new shows it won't record. Someone should be notifying these networks of this issue. It may very well have aired on that date in another country but not here. The Velocity channel is notorious for this because of so many BBC shows but there are others.

I am also surprised that no one has come up with a way to automatically adjust the start of scheduled recorded program that follows a "LIVE" event ESPN does this to NHRA almost every time.

I have directv currently and they could care less when i bring it to their attention and try getting a hold of a network or producer of a show which is very odd because their success is based on viewership. I won 't even get started on why networks playback a season out of order or the provider lists them on demand out of order
TVjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

It's called ratings. You said it yourself, the networks don't provide up to the minute updates so there is no way for Tivo or other providers to have that data. The networks are aware of the situation but overruns of shows like football give them better ratings and higher revenues. It would be cost prohibitive to implement a system that provides instant updates. As for the OAD's of foreign shows, they are what they claim to be, the ORIGINAL air date, not the date they premiered in the US. Don't like it, too bad. It is what it is.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVjunky View Post
while scheduling works as it should most of the time, it's not perfect - last moment additions or deletions, and live events that run longer or shorter than expected are common issues.

there is a delay of a few days from when the change is made until the change can be downloaded to everyone's dvr. the data must come from sole owner of the info, and then it takes a few days to filter to everyone. i agree, the time it takes should be improved, but until it is, it's nice to have a forum to help keep track.
Quote:
...It is beyond me why some networks advertise new episodes but when you look at "first aired on" data it shows a date in the past...
i agree on this point - i would prefer my guide data to show accurate air dates for the usa, not info for some other broadcast. if and when i want historically accurate data, i'll surf the web.
Quote:
...I have directv currently and they could care less when i bring it to their attention...
it's not they don't care, they have no direct control, because they purchase the data independently. one of the biggest purveyors of the info is tribune, so try reporting directly to the source, their online listings site - http://www.zap2it.com/

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
TVjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
It's called ratings. You said it yourself, the networks don't provide up to the minute updates so there is no way for Tivo or other providers to have that data. The networks are aware of the situation but overruns of shows like football give them better ratings and higher revenues. It would be cost prohibitive to implement a system that provides instant updates. As for the OAD's of foreign shows, they are what they claim to be, the ORIGINAL air date, not the date they premiered in the US. Don't like it, too bad. It is what it is.
Ratings are just as important for the shows that follow especially a current racing event recorded earlier from that day.

OAD it's pretty obvious what they are but it does not help when you have shows that play over and over again. If you don't set it to New only you'll get a ridiculous amount of episodes you don't want and your trying to figure out what the new episode is. So if they want to keep the OAD then at least offer an episode # so that you can decipher whats the newest.

"Don't like, too bad. It is what it is" This is an intelligent statement! If we thought that way about everything nothing would ever change!

So NO I don't like it and i'm voicing my opinion about it
Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

"Don't like, too bad. It is what it is" This is an intelligent statement! If we thought that way about everything nothing would ever change!

So NO I don't like it and i'm voicing my opinion about it
But to influence change, you have to complain (with more than self-centered entitlement) in the right place and to the right people and that's not here.

If you want a better system, create it, don't just whine and hope someone else does it for you.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i can imagine a time when real time scheduling data filters to tivo and begins to knock lower priority shows off the "to do list". or, implementation is not adopted by every network across the board, so sometimes guide data updates, sometimes it doesn't.

then, just imagine the onslought of new threads with opinions on how better it was before, and other threads on what shows might be in jeopary due to last minute updates...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 02-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
TVjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
But to influence change, you have to complain (with more than self-centered entitlement) in the right place and to the right people and that's not here.

If you want a better system, create it, don't just whine and hope someone else does it for you.
That is exactly what a forum (a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged) is for. First to gauge everyone's feelings (Not just my feeling) about the subject and then to act on it and who says I have not contacted anyone else about it. Since there are already systems in place I don't believe creating a new system is the answer just fix the one that's used.

I love how offended some people get when you raise a legitimate issue. If you truly have something to add then add it but diminishing my concerns does not help fix the system
Old 02-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I miss more recordings because of Tuning Adapter tuning failures than from Guide Data errors. If occasional Guide Data errors are your biggest problem you're doing pretty well.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
TVjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i can imagine a time when real time scheduling data filters to tivo and begins to knock lower priority shows off the "to do list". or, implementation is not adopted by every network across the board, so sometimes guide data updates, sometimes it doesn't.

then, just imagine the onslought of new threads with opinions on how better it was before, and other threads on what shows might be in jeopary due to last minute updates...
Now that is exactly why you have priorities set up in the order you wish. But maybe if it gets knocked off by a live event or breaking news event the data reveals that it will run at a different time and pick that time to record it.

Now if Tivo's new approach works there will be no issue because the episode will just be added to your virtual PVR "cloud" que to stream whenever you wish.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
TVjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I miss more recordings because of Tuning Adapter tuning failures than from Guide Data errors. If occasional Guide Data errors are your biggest problem you're doing pretty well.
That's why i'm not sure if I even want to switch to Tivo right now.

If the new Tivo system works, which makes complete sense, we will have no issues because the episode will just be waiting in your virtual PVR que and you won't miss any because of equipment failures
Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Now that is exactly why you have priorities set up in the order you wish.
but aren't priorities set before the schedule change alters the guide? couldn't a guide change also effect your priorities?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
TVjunky

Quote:
but aren't priorities set before the schedule change alters the guide? couldn't a guide change also effect your priorities?

No because your guide changes daily on a rolling 14 days. Your priorities at least on Directv are 1-50 (sucks not enough) some times a series could change days mid season and if that series is low priority it may get bumped on that new day then you would have to re prioritize to get it to record
Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
timr_42

I've had a tivo (or more) since 2001.

Yes, there has been scheduling issues. But I've not found that they are so out of wack that it's been that big of a PITA. Mostly after a game(football mostly). Not sure how you can adapt to that without real time updating and I could see that as a potential nightmare.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Quote:
No because your guide changes daily on a rolling 14 days. Your priorities at least on Directv are 1-50 (sucks not enough) some times a series could change days mid season and if that series is low priority it may get bumped on that new day then you would have to re prioritize to get it to record
Based on your response that explains how a schedule change can affect priorities, you clearly didn't understand the question. The answer to the question 'couldn't a guide change also affect your priorities?' is yes.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:

I am a potential new customer and if there is one thing that frustrates me more it's inaccurate scheduling data. If a program wants to be seen the company that produces the show or the network that airs it needs to provide accurate up to date info and if i will be paying a fee to tivo for this data then they should be catching inaccurate data so it becomes seamless to it's customers that PAY for this information.

It is beyond me why some networks advertise new episodes but when you look at "first aired on" data it shows a date in the past so if you are only recording new shows it won't record. Someone should be notifying these networks of this issue. It may very well have aired on that date in another country but not here. The Velocity channel is notorious for this because of so many BBC shows but there are others.

I am also surprised that no one has come up with a way to automatically adjust the start of scheduled recorded program that follows a "LIVE" event ESPN does this to NHRA almost every time.

I have directv currently and they could care less when i bring it to their attention and try getting a hold of a network or producer of a show which is very odd because their success is based on viewership. I won 't even get started on why networks playback a season out of order or the provider lists them on demand out of order
Networks and local broadcasters provide Tribune Media Services with their schedules. Tribune Media Services re-sells these data to newspapers and TiVo and perhaps elsewhere.

If updates to these data aren't communicated to TMS in a timely fashion, there's really nothing they can do about it or that TiVo can do about it, and if TMS doesn't pass along updates in a timely fashion there's not much TiVo can do about that, either, since TMS pretty much has a monopoly on the business.

But it does seem that TiVo was designed without input from anyone who'd ever dealt with football or golf bumping the start time for 60 Minutes here on the East Coast.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But it does seem that TiVo was designed without input from anyone who'd ever dealt with football or golf bumping the start time for 60 Minutes here on the East Coast.
i'm beginning to believe cbs purposely keeps the start time of 60 minutes within the 6/7pm for some reason relating to how much they are able to bill advertisers. after so many years of late starts, it's the only reason i can come up with that makes sense to me.

it was better this season, though - a simple ˝ hour end buffer covered all but one week this season, if i'm remembering correctly. in past years, an hour buffer wasn't enough several weeks - i missed more than a few big brother and amazing race eps.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
i'm beginning to believe cbs purposely keeps the start time of 60 minutes within the 6/7pm for some reason relating to how much they are able to bill advertisers. after so many years of late starts, it's the only reason i can come up with that makes sense to me.
Of course that's the reason. Time and again, when there are sports overruns, the following shows have higher ratings thereby allowing CBS to charge more for advertising. Weeks when those shows start on time, the ratings are lower. Remember, viewers aren't the customers, we are the product being sold to the customers (advertisers).
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #18
TVjunky

Inaccurate USA airing date or Generic data

These are the ones that drive me crazy! Does this happen on Tivo guides?

How could you not know which episode you are going to air and just give generic info about the show which on Directv assumes it's new and records all 15.

I just noticed on a commercial today that a new season 21 of Top Gear was starting Monday 2/10/14 but my series manager (again directv) says i have none in the Que. The episodes started in England BBC2 on Sunday 2/2/14 but here on BBC America the first episode starts Monday 2/10/14 and of course the show first aired on date of 2/2/14 so i need to manually set each week or record all if I record all i will get 26 episodes before the US season starts then 25 more before the second episode airs. Why can't these be adjusted to the location they are airing? Sometimes a series could be a year behind like wheeler dealers our "new" season aired in England last year
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #19
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No, Tivo picks this up as new because the OAD occurred in the last 28 days. Other Brit series such as Wheeler Dealers do not get picked up as new on Velocity because they aired a few months prior in the UK (even though they are new to us), so I constantly need to check for new eps and schedule manually. It's a longstanding gripe with how OAD is handled for Brit shows, they always use the UK date instead of the US first aired.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
These are the ones that drive me crazy! Does this happen on Tivo guides?
Yes, the generic info issue happens on Tivos too. It USED to happen often on the daily show & colbert report. It happens LESS often nowadays, but still happens once in a while.

Now that Cops moved to TBS (??), I now see sporadic middle of the night recordings because of generic info.

I completely understand/agree with the "if it's generic, assume that it's new and record it", but I would put in an ADVANCED pref for letting me toggle off auto record generic info, with me realizing it's MY FAULT if they really did air a new ep (probably has happened).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Jed1

Currently I have the movie The Day After Tomorrow listed to start tonight at 10:30 PM and end at 11:00 PM on USA HD. My guide then shows two episodes of Law and Order SVU occurring from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.
I checked Zap2It and the movie is listed correctly starting at 10:30 PM and ending at 1:00 AM. Oh Well so much for recording this movie.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #22
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
Currently I have the movie The Day After Tomorrow listed to start tonight at 10:30 PM and end at 11:00 PM on USA HD. My guide then shows two episodes of Law and Order SVU occurring from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.
I checked Zap2It and the movie is listed correctly starting at 10:30 PM and ending at 1:00 AM. Oh Well so much for recording this movie.
What's the problem?
Select the movie from the guide and set it to record using advanced options. In the options, extend the recording 2 hours.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
caughey

Quote:
it's not they don't care, they have no direct control
To be fair, it's probably both.

Quote:
It is beyond me why some networks advertise new episodes but when you look at "first aired on" data it shows a date in the past so if you are only recording new shows it won't record. Someone should be notifying these networks of this issue. It may very well have aired on that date in another country but not here.
You know who that "someone" is, don't you? But this can get pretty annoying, especially if you have set up to record reruns to catch the new episodes and they decide to run a few marathons every month. That's more To Do list management than most programs are worth. There's probably a clever wishlist trick to handle this, but I haven't figured it out. Some channels do update the OAD, many don't, and some only update it some of the time. If they do reset it, will they set it to the OAD for the local market (whatever that is) or will they set it to the OAD for that channel? Fortunately BBCA has started airing Top Gear close enough to it's UK OAD that TiVo treats it as new.

Quote:
Oh Well so much for recording this movie.
It's showing correctly in my guide now for Thursday (730 to 10pm). Maybe you caught it while it was still updating? You can always extend a recording, as Steve said, or set up a manual recording. But I agree the guide data should match--I don't normally verify the end time of programs I record.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
What's the problem?
Select the movie from the guide and set it to record using advanced options. In the options, extend the recording 2 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
It's showing correctly in my guide now for Thursday (730 to 10pm). Maybe you caught it while it was still updating? You can always extend a recording, as Steve said, or set up a manual recording. But I agree the guide data should match--I don't normally verify the end time of programs I record.
It was a wishlist recording. I always record channels that have commercials and then I may start watching about an hour into the movie si I can skip through the commercials.
When I finally sat down around midnight to watch the movie I noticed the red record light was out. I brought up the guide and that is when I noticed the error in the listings. I tried to connect to the TiVo service on both my TiVos and got a bunch of different network errors with each try. I rebooted the UI on both TiVos and then went to bed. I checked both TiVos at ten the next morning and both connected to the service and the guide error for that movie was corrected.
I have had this happen a few times already since I got these TiVos last summer. The data from Tribune is incorrect as the TiVo guide does not update on a daily basis. My TiVos seem to update the guide data every three days.