TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
DrSandman

New To HR44-Questions

Hi Everyone!!
I replaced my DTV TiVo yesterday with a new Genie (HR44) and being new to it, I had a few questions.

1. Should I leave the Genie on or off when not in use?
2. Is there a way to bring up the scrub bar w/o hitting the "play-pause" button? When I press it, it pauses the program and I just want to see how far I'm into the recording w/o pausing it.
3. I have a Harmony One and was wondering if I can use it to turn the Genie on and off, or can I program the Genie's remote to turn on and off my Sony AV Receiver, my Samsung TV and the Genie at the same time?
4. When I set up my Series recordings, I used "First Run" only, but I'm getting recordings of shows that clearly show the dates as 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. What am I doing wrong?

That's all I can think of right now. I really like the unit so far. Just got to get used to it. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!
DrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSandman View Post
Hi Everyone!!
I replaced my DTV TiVo yesterday with a new Genie (HR44) and being new to it, I had a few questions.

1. Should I leave the Genie on or off when not in use?
2. Is there a way to bring up the scrub bar w/o hitting the "play-pause" button? When I press it, it pauses the program and I just want to see how far I'm into the recording w/o pausing it.
3. I have a Harmony One and was wondering if I can use it to turn the Genie on and off, or can I program the Genie's remote to turn on and off my Sony AV Receiver, my Samsung TV and the Genie at the same time?
4. When I set up my Series recordings, I used "First Run" only, but I'm getting recordings of shows that clearly show the dates as 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. What am I doing wrong?

That's all I can think of right now. I really like the unit so far. Just got to get used to it. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!
1. Doesn't matter. Mine is off (or in standby mode) when not in use - and I have to switch it off to get sound from my Smart apps.
2. Press the Play button.
3. I use a Harmony One and have no problems with it.
4. This may be Tribune's fault, If the show is marked as first run, it'll record it, so older shows may be recorded. Doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There is no "off" without unplugging it. Just leave it on. Standby makes no real difference in power I found.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
DrSandman

Thanks so much for the help guys. I really prefer to just leave the Genie on, so was happy to see your answers. Another question I have concerns the resolution and I'm not as tech savy as I'd like to be. I have one of the Samsung Smart TVs and wanted your opinion on the resolution setting that involves "Native". (I don't really know what that means, but my TV is capable of 1080p.) The DTV installer set it up with check marks next to 1080i and 1080p, but left Native off. Is this the ideal setup to receive the best picture quality, or should Native be turned on ? Once again.....thanks for helping a newbie in the world of Genie. I'm really loving it so far!! Cheers!!
DrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Personally I don't mess with native and the PQ is fine. Just let the TV select what signal it's receiving just like it does from a BRD or other external source.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Native means that the HR44 passes along the recording in whatever resolution it came in as and lets your TV deal with it. With Native off, the HR44 will convert the signal to the best resolution your TV can handle. Generally I would prefer Native.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSandman View Post
If you just got the unit, all of your series recordings are new. When you set up a series, it always records the episode you used to setup the recordings, whether it's actually new or not. If it continues to record old episodes beyond the first one then it's a Tribune issue, otherwise it's normal behavior.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote