TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #31
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

POE filter is only needed to block signals going in/out of you house to the cable tv network, so that is not it.

Have you signed into your account on tivo.com to make sure both boxes are on one account, and appear active?

There are sharing options for allowing programs to be shared from each box, make sure they are set to allow.

Have you rebooted all of your networking equipment... Router, switches, modem, etc? It's weird that you drop off after half an hour when using Ethernet. When you say it 'loses' it, what exacltly do you mean?

What is showing under settings/networking when on Ethernet before and after it fails?
When you are connected via Moca, what does it show for speed, errors,etc for the Moca network? Check both the mini and the Roamio, pls for both Ethernet and Moca scenarios.

Don't give up, my setup was odd the 1st couple hours, but it's been solid since.
-Mini
-Stream
-Comcast/TiVo Mutant dvrs - RIP
-2x Upgraded Series 2 - Retired
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
szvers

-Signed into acct and made sure boxes are active and sharing is checked.
-Rebooted countless times, all hardware.
-Drop off for Ethernet listed lost connection with roamio, but could connect to internet.
-no moca link history ever on the mini

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
szvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #33
szvers

Is my setup correct?

Antenna coax to Moca adapter 1 Ethernet to router
Coax into Moca adapter 2 , coax out to roamio, Ethernet to roamio(do I need both Ethernet and coax into roamio?)

Coax to mini

Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 AM   #34
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by szvers View Post
Is my setup correct?

Antenna coax to Moca adapter 1 Ethernet to router
Coax into Moca adapter 2 , coax out to roamio, Ethernet to roamio(do I need both Ethernet and coax into roamio?)

Coax to mini

That layout looks correct. The Roamio needs coax (for the video) and networking (for data connection to other boxes and to "call home" to tivo.
The plus and pro have a moca bridge, but as you noted somewhere along the line, the base Roamio doesnt.

I have read back through your thread to see if anything else jumped out, but you have done awesome troubleshooting, eliminating almost every possibility I can think of.

The only thing I can think of you to try would be re-do guided setup on the mini. Maybe something was set wrong during the process. I admit I think this is pretty low % chance of success.

The 2nd thing is that maybe something is coded wrong in your account with tivo that is making them think they are on separate accounts or something, but since you can see them on the web site, I think that's a extremely low %.

The one thing that really stands out is that you cannot see any info on the Moca connection on the Mini under settings/network/network status, when you have it configured like you have listed above. I think that is telling, that it might be a dud mini.
-Mini
-Stream
-Comcast/TiVo Mutant dvrs - RIP
-2x Upgraded Series 2 - Retired
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #35
HarperVision

I've heard people having issues with setting up wireless on the Roamio and then switching to wired Ethernet after. Did you happen to do that when you first setup the system? That "could be" the cause of it listing separate networks (wired and wireless). Just a shot in the dark......
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #36
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
That layout looks correct. The Roamio needs coax (for the video) and networking (for data connection to other boxes and to "call home" to tivo.
The plus and pro have a moca bridge, but as you noted somewhere along the line, the base Roamio doesnt.

I have read back through your thread to see if anything else jumped out, but you have done awesome troubleshooting, eliminating almost every possibility I can think of.

The only thing I can think of you to try would be re-do guided setup on the mini. Maybe something was set wrong during the process. I admit I think this is pretty low % chance of success.

The 2nd thing is that maybe something is coded wrong in your account with tivo that is making them think they are on separate accounts or something, but since you can see them on the web site, I think that's a extremely low %.

The one thing that really stands out is that you cannot see any info on the Moca connection on the Mini under settings/network/network status, when you have it configured like you have listed above. I think that is telling, that it might be a dud mini.
When I go into the mini status, I see a ton of stats for moca connection, packets received, etc. The numbers change as I watch. The only blank is moca link history.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #37
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I've heard people having issues with setting up wireless on the Roamio and then switching to wired Ethernet after. Did you happen to do that when you first setup the system? That "could be" the cause of it listing separate networks (wired and wireless). Just a shot in the dark......
No, I never set it up with wireless. Thanks for the advice, I'm grasping at straws.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #38
szvers

If I return the mini to amazon, and go to best buy and get another one to see if it is in fact the mini, does tivo give me my money back for the service plan?

I'm within my 30 days.

Just wondering how that works.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #39
tatergator1

Quote:
When I go into the mini status, I see a ton of stats for moca connection, packets received, etc. The numbers change as I watch. The only blank is moca link history.
MoCA Link History has only ever shown error-type messages for me. A few weeks ago, I had some entries about problems with the network which coincided with some re-arranging I was doing with my MoCA adapter upstairs at my router. I last rebooted my boxes about 11 days ago due to a Time Warner issue with my CableCard authorization, and that reset the MoCA Link History and it's still blank right now.

Lack of messages doesn't mean somethings wrong, ironically for your situation, it suggests the Moca network is good.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #40
tatergator1

Quote:
If I return the mini to amazon, and go to best buy and get another one to see if it is in fact the mini, does tivo give me my money back for the service plan?

I'm within my 30 days.

Just wondering how that works.
You should be able to transfer the service via a phone call with Tivo if you get a new Mini at Best Buy. I'm not 100% sure, so it might be worth a call to Tivo to confirm.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #41
szvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
MoCA Link History has only ever shown error-type messages for me. A few weeks ago, I had some entries about problems with the network which coincided with some re-arranging I was doing with my MoCA adapter upstairs at my router. I last rebooted my boxes about 11 days ago due to a Time Warner issue with my CableCard authorization, and that reset the MoCA Link History and it's still blank right now.

Lack of messages doesn't mean somethings wrong, ironically for your situation, it suggests the Moca network is good.
UGH!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #42
szvers

IT WORKS!
I read on another thread how some routers are touchy with Moca.

I had an old router(Verizon MI-424WR) laying around, so I decided to swap out my existing one and the mini immediately recognized the roamio via the moca connection.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and offered information. I really appreciate it!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #43
shrike4242

I've not had any issues with my current setup, which involves an ASUS RT-N66U router ($99 on Amazon in a white-color version (http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66W-Dual-B...dp/B00FK1E46U/) for today only) and an ActionTec ECB2200 / ECB2500 MoCA adapter connected via Ethernet. Worked without any issues, if that's a help in trying to work to a better solution.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote