TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Mark McM

Can you copy (or watch) programs from an unsubscribed Premiere?

Hopefully a few quick questions - but first a little context:

I'm getting a Roamio to replace my Premiere. I'll be switching my current service plan over to the Roamio, and unsubscribing the Premiere. However, I have a lot of as-yet unwatched programs on the Premiere that I'd like to transfer to the Roamio.

So the question is: Can I copy programs off an unsubscribed Premiere to a subscribed Roamio?

Follow up question: Some of the programs may be copy protected; if they can't be copied to the Roamio, will I still be able to watch them directly from the unsubscribed Premiere?

If necessary, I can take the Premiere off my home network, so it can't 'phone home' and won't know immediately that it has been unsubscribed. If I do that, can I copy programs to the Roamio by connecting the two units directly with an Ethernet cable? (And does it need to be a cross-over cable?)

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me!
Mark McM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

An unsubscribed Tivo can not transfer via network, what's on it stays there.
You can watch anything on the unsubscribed Tivo itself, no matter what the subscription status it.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You should be able to get $99 lifetime on the Premiere when you call to move the sub to a new Tivo, unless its already lifetime. Selling it with lifetime will be worth more than without.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 01-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Mark McM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
An unsubscribed Tivo can not transfer via network, what's on it stays there.
You can watch anything on the unsubscribed Tivo itself, no matter what the subscription status it.
Thanks or the quick answers! But what about if I take the old Tivo off the network before I move the service to the new Tivo - how long will it be before the old Tivo realizes it's no longer subscribed? If I were to do that, in order to transfer programs off the old Tivo I'd have to connect the two Tivos to each other directly, not through the network - can that be done as simply as connecting them with an Ethernet cable?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

That wont work. They both have to call in at least once after the new one is activated so that they are aware of each other. So there has to be at least some overlap in the service.

TiVo should really allow a grace period on these things so that people have time to copy their shows and SPs to the new unit.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
But what about if I take the old Tivo off the network before I move the service to the new Tivo - how long will it be before the old Tivo realizes it's no longer subscribed? If I were to do that, in order to transfer programs off the old Tivo I'd have to connect the two Tivos to each other directly, not through the network - can that be done as simply as connecting them with an Ethernet cable?
IF you are able to do this (I am not saying you will be able to), you can connect the two Tivos directly with an Ethernet cable, and it does NOT have to be a crossover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
kinggabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
IF you are able to do this (I am not saying you will be able to), you can connect the two Tivos directly with an Ethernet cable, and it does NOT have to be a crossover.
Are you kidding me???? LOL I just spent a week transferring shows from my TivoHD to Roamio with one hard wired to router and the other wireless. With dismal transfer rates.

This would've sped the rates up considerably!!! Grrrr! Oh well, good to know that info anyway.
kinggabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

THDs have v-e-r-y slow transfers based upon their hardware. I'm not sure how much speed you would have gained unless you have a extremely slow wireless connection.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
timlmd

After you've transferred service over to the Roamio, you can add a new (no commitment) monthly service to the Premiere. Since the new service comes with a 30 day refund policy, as long as you finish transferring shows in that timeframe, you can cancel the new service and get your money back.
timlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlmd View Post
After you've transferred service over to the Roamio, you can add a new (no commitment) monthly service to the Premiere. Since the new service comes with a 30 day refund policy, as long as you finish transferring shows in that timeframe, you can cancel the new service and get your money back.
My Roamio is being delivered on Tuesday. I purchased it from TiVo with an AP code and transferred service over from my current XL4. I guess I just assumed when I activated the Roamio there would be a short grace period that would allow me to transfer my shows and season passes. Is that not true?
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
My Roamio is being delivered on Tuesday. I purchased it from TiVo with an AP code and transferred service over from my current XL4. I guess I just assumed when I activated the Roamio there would be a short grace period that would allow me to transfer my shows and season passes. Is that not true?
Not when the old box gets de-activated from Tivo Service. You may be able to get $99 lifetime on it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Not when the old box gets de-activated from Tivo Service. You may be able to get $99 lifetime on it.
It's not eligible for $99 lifetime and even if it was I wouldn't do it. I don't plan on keeping it and given the recent price drop it no longer makes sense to do it for resale value. If the XL4 loses it service immediately after I switch service to the Roamio I will just put a monthly on the XL4 to allow time to transfer my shows and cancel for a refund before the 30 days. I still find it hard to believe that TiVo will immediately cancel my XL4 service at the time of the swap. I guess I will find out.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Mark McM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlmd View Post
This is what the Tivo CSR suggested when I called to transfer my annual service plan the Roamio. I now have the old Premiere on new monthly service plan, and as long as I cancel it before the 30 day period, the first month's charge will be refunded. It should just take a few days to get the Roamio set up and everything transferred to it from the Premiere, so I'll be cancelling the new service plan when everything is a all settled in a few days.