TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump
Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Back up a new Roamio?

I expect my new Roamio Pro to arrive soon and it will replace my two Tivo HDs. My HDs are 7 and 9 years old and over the years I upgraded and replaced drives in those units three times each. Every replacement was pretty painless and fairly cheap. I never had to resort to the functioning original drives that I kept to image a new drive but having those drives available gave me the warm and fuzzy that I could always re-image a new drive.

So, is there a benefit in just doing an image backup of the brand-new and configured Roamio to allow me to accommodate a future drive failure? I have heard that Roamios somehow magically initialize blank drives by themselves -- is that true? But, if true, this still would require a new cable card configuration with the cable company while if I retained a cloned drive I could potentially avoid that step -- correct?

With the two HDs I at least had some redundancy that allowed me to watch/record TV if one drive was to suddenly catastrophically fail. The Roamio will be the only working TV cable box in the house. I imagine its drive blowing up two hours before a Wimbledon final or some such. Of course the Roamio can fail in many ways but drive failure seems the most likely case.

borabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
The Roamios (and the new Bolt) work differently. To upgrade/replace a drive (up to 3TB) all you do is put a new drive in and the unit does the rest. For drives over 3TB there is some prep but it does not involve installing a operating system image.

R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
12/15 - Bolt
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Based on what I've read... assuming you used a tool such as MFS Tools 3.2 to clone a fully-functioning and paired Roamio Pro 3TB drive, yes, you could keep a ready-to-go backup drive sitting in the closet, in preparation for the possibility of a drive failure (made only slightly more likely by all the drive manipulation). I think the max size for MFS Tools 3.2 is currently 4TB, again, based on what I've read.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote