TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Last2Die

Quick Question

Hi Guys new here, I plan on cutting the cord and going with a TIVO Romano and 2 Minis OR a Tablo unit, at this point I really like the Tivo along with the lifetime subscription thats my first choice !

I can hook up the Romano to my router directly, the other 2 1 in my bedroom used at night mostly and 1 in the guest room. My bedroom is upstairs and the room does not have cable or ethernet its an old house ! Old wiring !

I have been reading and reading and I know that the minis and Tivo will not support wireless adapters, but again I have read that some have been successful at using them.

I can give you a quick break down of my network:

Modem: Motorola 6141
Router: Nighthawk R8000
Possible Bridge: Nighthawk Wifi Range Extender ac1900 Dual band with gigabit ports (5)

What I'm looking at as far as the "bridge"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

The distance is about 15-20 feet pretty much straight down to the first floor.

well I hope you all can steer me in the right direction, thanks !!

Tony

Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

My Roamio uses a ASUS EA-N66R. The router is a R7500. The Mini uses a WUMC710. It all works. I have the EX7000 feeding a Premiere, AVR, two Blu-rays and this computer. I could use the EX7000 for the basic Roamio, but why fool with what works. What you have should work. I suggest using reservations for the IP addresses since TiVo doesn't adjust to a changing IP addresses very well. There are bugs in the R7500 (turn off QoS) and the UI for the EX7000 sucks. But I can run the Mini without dropping the connection at 1080i. I'm covering three rooms on two floors. No wires.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Last2Die

Thank you for the reply, not sure the settings in my R8000 and not sure on how to assign a specific IP address to a certain item on the network but I'm sure i can get help and figure it out.

Are there bugs in the R8000 ? Currently my QoS is enabled.

If its going to be a nightmare getting it to work I can go another route, not looking for an ongoing technical project !! LOL

Old 11-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Thank you for the reply, not sure the settings in my R8000 and not sure on how to assign a specific IP address to a certain item on the network but I'm sure i can get help and figure it out.

Are there bugs in the R8000 ? Currently my QoS is enabled.

If its going to be a nightmare getting it to work I can go another route, not looking for an ongoing technical project !! LOL
Easy test. You run a speed test at www.speedtest.net. If it's under what your paying for by a lot, use the internal speed test, which also uses Ookla. If that is faster, your device is being restricted. Then disable QoS and try again.

For reservations you need the MAC address. Then go to Advanced, Setup, LAN Setup. You then enter your device's MAC address and an IP address that's probably already displayed. I do this for my EX7000, WUMC710, Roku 3, Sony TV, and all wired devices. I don't used fixed IP addresses. After everything works you will have assigned IP addresses. I just make them constant.

I don't know about bugs in the R8000. Ask Bob Silver on AVSForum. But since the R8500 is now shipping, your time is running out. I'm not upgrading since the R7500 has two USB 3.0 ports. I plug my memory stuff into them. Works for TiVo files too. There is no free support for the R7500 even though I have two bugs that were never fixed.

A lot to learn. Take your time. You decided to cut that cord. That means you are the support person. If it was easy my mother could do it. The TiVo has a lot of support. But it's not a toaster.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Last2Die

Well I currently have Comcast 50/5 and on the speed test I'm getting 85.85/6.07 so thats pretty good ! and thats wireless.

You say my time is running out when the R8500 comes out what is that..?

SO you think with what I have and the nighthawk wifi extender/switch I will be good to go...? that and follow your guide on giving the tivo mini a permanent IP address....

Tony

Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
krkaufman

Quote:
Well I currently have Comcast 50/5 and on the speed test I'm getting 85.85/6.07 so thats pretty good ! and thats wireless.
Sounds like Comcast has boosted your 50 down Blast plan to 75 down -- and they're known to over-provision by about 10%.

See: http://www.geekwire.com/2015/comcast...-other-states/

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
Last2Die

More speed the better LOL

Old 11-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #8
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:

You say my time is running out when the R8500 comes out what is that..?

SO you think with what I have and the nighthawk wifi extender/switch I will be good to go...? that and follow your guide on giving the tivo mini a permanent IP address....

Tony
Netgear is nuts about support after 90 days even if you find a bug. Don't bother with the web site, and Bob Silver seldom visits threads for older units.

I think your hardware will work fine. A fixed IP address isn't a major issue, especially if everything is using a UPS. If I change something on my Roamio it may cause the Mini to need a reboot to find it. It is probably just poor DHCP coding.

I am probably unique with this issue, but I need to reboot my router every few days. This is likely due to my PC using the EX7000 to talk to the R7500 and it's the only device with a problem. I can also switch to the internal 802.11n 2.4GHz on the PC and it can connect. It might even be a bug in the PC. I guess my best advice is: if you have a connection problem, reboot the router. That always works for me, and sometimes I also reboot the Roamio and the Mini. I wish I could blame power, but everything uses a UPS. I'm literally 6 feet from a major state road, so it could be rf interference from municipal vehicles. I hope to move this spring. And, since I have no cable issues, everything moves with me. I plan ahead.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
krkaufman

Quote:
I plan on cutting the cord and going with a TIVO Romano and 2 Minis OR a Tablo unit, at this point I really like the Tivo along with the lifetime subscription thats my first choice !
Re: TiVo vs Tablo... I see that Tablo offers 2-tuner and 4-tuner models, but you have 3 OTA-capable TiVo models from which to choose, each of which has 4 tuners. We'd need to know more about your desired functionality to provide a recommendation. Keep in mind that the 4-tuner Roamio models do NOT come with built-in mobile device streaming capability; you'd need to add a standalone TiVo Stream to provide this functionality. (The BOLT includes a built-in Stream, along with MoCA 2.0.)

Quote:
I can hook up the Romano to my router directly, the other 2 1 in my bedroom used at night mostly and 1 in the guest room. My bedroom is upstairs and the room does not have cable or ethernet its an old house ! Old wiring !

I have been reading and reading and I know that the minis and Tivo will not support wireless adapters, but again I have read that some have been successful at using them.
Old wiring may remain an issue, but another option to be aware of is Powerline (Ethernet over power lines). Some people have had success using this TiVo-unsupported approach.

I see you've stated that the bedroom doesn't have Ethernet or coax, but what about the guest room (where you plan on putting the 2nd Mini) -- or any other rooms on the 2nd floor, for that matter? If any of these other rooms have coax, you could possibly use a MoCA adapter to better position a wireless or Powerline access point to provide a better signal into the coax/Ethernet-less bedroom.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote