TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Premiere Green Screen - Detected a Serious Problem

One of my JMFS 2TB (WD20EURS) Upgraded Premieres, just popped up the following message on Restart.

The TiVo box has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about 3 hours.
Please Do not Unplug or Restart the TiVo Box.

Has anyone ever seen this, I am assuming possibly a bad sector was encountered upon restart. There was and is no abnormal noise that the HDD is making, the HDD is about 27 months old.

Does this process usually work to get it back up and running? I think I will order a new 2TB HDD anyway, and just replace it even if it comes back up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

After over 3 hours, it rebooted back to the same green screen message.

I am going to reinstall the original 320GB HDD and update the SW, in case I need to start from scratch.

What is the best tool to use, to both check the HDD and attempt to recover the data on the bad HDD and copy to a new 2TB HDD?

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-30-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

DvrBARS says "MFS volume header not found" when attempting to do a backup.

SMART Test = Pass

DLGDIAG - Quick Test reports:

Quick Test did not complete!
Status Code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-31-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
One of my JMFS 2TB (WD20EURS) Upgraded Premieres, just popped up the following message on Restart.

The TiVo box has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about 3 hours.
Please Do not Unplug or Restart the TiVo Box.

Has anyone ever seen this, I am assuming possibly a bad sector was encountered upon restart. There was and is no abnormal noise that the HDD is making, the HDD is about 27 months old.

Does this process usually work to get it back up and running? I think I will order a new 2TB HDD anyway, and just replace it even if it comes back up.
Did you just write a new image to that 2TB and get the green screen before it ever actually worked in the TiVo?

Because that's normal if the image came from a different TiVo of the same model because the image would have the TiVo Service Number of the TiVo from which the image was made and the target TiVo would have on the motherboard the TSN which it has, and since they're all unique, they're different, and the TiVo has to re-write something on the drive to agree with the motherboard to which it is attached.

Sometime this problem pops up as error 51.

The TiVo is designed to be able to deal with that problem and you let it try for a few hours.

However, new or used, before putting that 2TB into service as the TiVo's new drive, you should (and should have) run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test (almost certain to be included in what's on the free Ultimate Boot CD).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you just write a new image to that 2TB and get the green screen before it ever actually worked in the TiVo?
No, this 2TB HDD has been in use in this TiVo for about 27 months.

I just put back the original 320GB HDD and it has been in "Preparing the Update" for about 2 hours, which seems way too long, wonder what is up with that.
EDIT: Finally completed the SW Update and rebooted.

Now, is there any way to rebuild the MFS volume header, to save my old programs?

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-31-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
No, this 2TB HDD has been in use in this TiVo for about 27 months.

I just put back the original 320GB HDD and it has been in "Preparing the Update" for about 2 hours, which seems way too long, wonder what is up with that.
EDIT: Finally completed the SW Update and rebooted.

Now, is there any way to rebuild the MFS volume header, to save my old programs?
You might PM ggieseke to see if he knows or knows who knows.

If this were an S2 or S3 platform unit, I'd ask if you noticed if you ever got the update from 11.0k to 11.0m, 'cause it sounds kinda like a failed attempt to switch from one root and boot partition set to the other, but my Premiere experience is non-existant. I don't think I've ever even seen on in person.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
ggieseke

Quote:
It's possible if the damage is extremely minor, but failing the quick test isn't a good sign. DvrBARS looks for the primary and backup volume header before giving up, which is another red flag. They're at opposite ends of the first MFS application partition, and if the rest of that partition is scrambled you're SOL.

I could create a virtual 2TB drive with the same number of sectors as your drive, put the 320 image on it, and expand it with jmfs to get a matching donor image.

You would have to copy the bad drive to a new one with dd or dd_rescue first to salvage the sectors that are still readable, then we could try to repair the copy by transplanting stuff from the donor image with a hex editor.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Premiere is back up and running fine with the original 320GB HDD, Just waiting for a new WD20EURS to arrive.

This unit has had a very odd behavior for a very long time. It would automatically go into Standby mode after several hours of non-use with the TV off. I have posted about this a few times. I wonder if this might have been a symptom that something was wrong.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9191330