TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

"Due to inclement weather, the game has been moved to ESPN3"

Does this make sense to anyone? A basketball game was scheduled for one of the ESPN channels, but when we stared the recording, the announcer said the above (and switched to another game). To be clear:

- The game is still happening, on time.
- They're still covering it (but only online).

It seems like it must be just an excuse, but if there's a way in which the weather actually makes sense as a reason for the move, I'm curious to hear it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Ment

What game was it? Perhaps the scheduled announce crew wasn't able to make the game and rather than broadcast with some no names they switched to a different game.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

But why not just show the replacement game on ESPN instead of moving it to ESPN3?
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
jay_man2
jay_man-also

What game, and where's it being played? Perhaps they're getting satellite rain fade with the regular broadcast facilities, but can stream it to the net with underground equipment.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

I know the scheduled telecast of Vanderbilt at Georgia on CSS was moved online because the scheduled talent and crew could not get to Athens, GA so they used UGA video and talent to go online only. This is likely not the subject of the OP however, as I don't think it was ever scheduled to be on a ESPN channel.

Last edited by NashvilleKat : 01-29-2014 at 08:59 PM.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Does this make sense to anyone? A basketball game was scheduled for one of the ESPN channels, but when we stared the recording, the announcer said the above (and switched to another game). To be clear:

It seems like it must be just an excuse, but if there's a way in which the weather actually makes sense as a reason for the move, I'm curious to hear it.
Fortunately the right team won, , but supposedly ESPN couldn't get their full production gear and people package to I guess it was Atlanta, so that's why it wasn't on ESPN2 like they said it would be.

Since we're on analog TWC, we're forced to buy ESPN and ESPN2, but have no access to ESPN3 or ESPN-U (where they've hidden most of the UNC games this season), not even online (since we don't subscribe to either via digital cable).

Allegedly a video feed was going to air on ESPN3, but my Sister in Law tells me it ain't there either (they've got the full TWC package), and on Twitter a radio guy in Charlotte I follow (we worked together decades ago) is reporting same.

I finally find an audio feed online at goheels.com and wind up with my SIL putting her cell phone on speaker while I hold mine up to my PC speakers for the last part of the game.

And it turns out the reason the announcers were so much better than the usual is that the audio wasn't from a TV feed, it was radio from the Tar Heel Sports Network.

Although it would have been even better if Woody Durham hadn't retired.

P.S. There seem to be conflicting reports about whether the video was actually on, or available online via, ESPN3--maybe it depended on which sat transponder your cable company tunes to or something.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:

The one originally aired on ESPN is more likely to garner higher ratings/has higher priced ads.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

North Carolina at Georgia Tech. Thanks for the ideas.

It did appear on ESPN3. I dunno about the first half-hour. Quality was variable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UunJyvldXTc

"ESPN crews were unable to safely get their full production crew to McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta, where traffic has been snarled since Tuesday's winter storm."

It isn't clear from that whether the video they broadcast on ESPN3 was their own, or possibly house video or something like that.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
P.S. There seem to be conflicting reports about whether the video was actually on, or available online via, ESPN3--maybe it depended on which sat transponder your cable company tunes to or something.
ESPN3 is online-only (formerly known as ESPN360). Possibly some people are confused on that point? But ESPN3 does make you validate that you have a subscription to a participating TV provider.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UunJyvldXTc

"ESPN crews were unable to safely get their full production crew to McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta, where traffic has been snarled since Tuesday's winter storm."

It isn't clear from that whether the video they broadcast on ESPN3 was their own, or possibly house video or something like that.
I have a friend who is the sound engineer for UNC sports network and was working the game. According to him, the ESPN video trucks couldn't get into Atlanta and, at game time, the intention was to show "scoreboard video" (i.e. the house camera video feed they put on the scoreboard) over ESPN3. I didn't check to see if this actually happened but that was his report right before gametime.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
ESPN3 is online-only (formerly known as ESPN360). Possibly some people are confused on that point? But ESPN3 does make you validate that you have a subscription to a participating TV provider.
Well, is ESPN-U an online thing or a digital cable channel?

And does the validating sub for 3 have to be digital cable?

We're already paying for analog 1 and 2.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, is ESPN-U an online thing or a digital cable channel?
Digital cable channel.
Quote:
And does the validating sub for 3 have to be digital cable?
It has to be a participating cable provider (or broadband internet provider). I *think* as long as your provider has signed up with ESPN to offer ESPN3, then you get it. I don't think it matters what tier of service you have. I'm not 100% on that one though.

ESPN3 affiliated cable/satellite providers
ESPN3 affiliated broadband internet providers
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I *think* as long as your provider has signed up with ESPN to offer ESPN3, then you get it. I don't think it matters what tier of service you have. I'm not 100% on that one though.
I believe that's true for every ISP that carries ESPN3 except Time Warner Cable, which requires subscribers to have a TV package that includes ESPN.