TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Pnyklr

One Thin I Miss

Having been a former DTV user I really miss the two hour buffer on their DVRs. Is the 30 minute limitation with TiVo a hardware or software limitation?

Pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

Neither. Its a design choice.

cosmicvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Pnyklr

For 10+ years?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
I miss being thin too.

Yeah, long-standing complaint about the short buffers. Some people will chime in and tell you "but if you record everything you ever watch, who cares". To which I say, as much as I'm a TiVo fanboy, I have both TiVos and DirecTV, and I love the 90 minute buffer on my Genie.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnyklr View Post
For 10+ years?
Yes, it's never been longer than or less than 30 minutes. If this is a problem for you, you can avoid this problem by recording your shows and not watching live TV. It's not on the top of most people's complaint list.

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
thefisch

ReplayTV had no time limit on the buffer - it would fill up the available memory. However, it was not that useful as you'd lose the buffer if a show started to record and there was no way to include the buffer in a recording. I would use it now and then to buffer CNN and skip through to the stories I was interested in. However, recording would do the same.

At least tivo let's you include the buffer if you decide to record the show.

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
There was a backdoor code on the S1/S2 units years ago that let you bump the buffer up to 2 hours. So they were at least experimenting with allowing a bigger buffer at some point.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
FitzAusTex

How would it truly inconvenience anyone if tivo allowed us a settings option to configure buffer length? I record many things, and at the same time I'd like the option to have a buffer of at least one hour. Not everyone plans for everything that might be on one of their tuners at that exact moment, but given that most people watch less than 10 channels (on average), and given that roamios have up to 6 tuners, odds are you are already tuned to a channel that you might want to back up further than 30 minutes. Sucks when you realize 43 minutes into a show that might only be airing one time, that you can only (generally) back up to minute 13.

Other thing I'd like to see is for the tivo to allow us to stay "delayed" when swapping btwn two tuners. Yeah, you can hit pause, but if you swap constantly, and forget to hit pause, you jump to live tv...and that can ruin a game if you aren't super careful. Dish does this, and God knows they were found to have violated Tivo's patents, so it should be possible.

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Some people will chime in and tell you "but if you record everything you ever watch, who cares".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
If this is a problem for you, you can avoid this problem by recording your shows and not watching live TV.
It only took one reply, and there it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
How would it truly inconvenience anyone if tivo allowed us a settings option to configure buffer length?
I don't think it's inconvenience, it's probably so hard-coded into a million different areas, that changing it would be a monster task.

But who knows? Maybe one day...

Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
How would it truly inconvenience anyone if tivo allowed us a settings option to configure buffer length?
How about a user configurable buffer, user configurable queue and user configurable skip?

Sony had it in 2005 on the DHG series HD DVR. Some people still use it since it has a cable card and OTA with an acceptable tuner. I have four looking for a home.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I don't think it's inconvenience, it's probably so hard-coded into a million different areas, that changing it would be a monster task.
I don't know about the current codebase, but as mentioned above there use to be a way to change it between 30, 60, 90 and 120 minutes using a hidden code. All it did was reduce the usable space by the appropriate amount. Now on a 6 tuner unit it would require 6x as much space, but it should still be more then possible.

It seems like an option for this is long over due. It's like the free space indicator use to be. A simple option that was frequently requested but never added with no real explanation as to why.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
Chuck_IV

Yea I may see myself missing this as well when I switch.

I'd settle for just an hr but 30 minutes is a bit short.

Charter Cable
Chuck_IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

Quote:
... I don't think it's inconvenience, it's probably so hard-coded into a million different areas, that changing it would be a monster task...
That would be very poor programming practice. I'd bet it's more likely a global #define, which if defined as a variable in a config file would make it fairly easy to make it user setable.

cosmicvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
Pnyklr

Good discussion guys.

The 2 hour buffer was especially helpful to me when dealing with the children.

So Daddy is watching something and the girls ask me to come look at something. I pause the show and next thing I know 45 minutes have gone by and I pickup where I left off when I paused. I was a happy camper.

With the TiVo way I am screwed in that scenario, which happens quite a bit.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #15
HarperVision

Quote:
Good discussion guys. The 2 hour buffer was especially helpful to me when dealing with the children. So Daddy is watching something and the girls ask me to come look at something. I pause the show and next thing I know 45 minutes have gone by and I pickup where I left off when I paused. I was a happy camper. With the TiVo way I am screwed in that scenario, which happens quite a bit.
Hit record, then pause.

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
How would it truly inconvenience anyone if tivo allowed us a settings option to configure buffer length? I record many things, and at the same time I'd like the option to have a buffer of at least one hour. Not everyone plans for everything that might be on one of their tuners at that exact moment, but given that most people watch less than 10 channels (on average), and given that roamios have up to 6 tuners, odds are you are already tuned to a channel that you might want to back up further than 30 minutes. Sucks when you realize 43 minutes into a show that might only be airing one time, that you can only (generally) back up to minute 13.

Other thing I'd like to see is for the tivo to allow us to stay "delayed" when swapping btwn two tuners. Yeah, you can hit pause, but if you swap constantly, and forget to hit pause, you jump to live tv...and that can ruin a game if you aren't super careful. Dish does this, and God knows they were found to have violated Tivo's patents, so it should be possible.
They have at least given us the option of zero buffers which I really like. With the newer standby feature, it doesn't use any of the tuners while in standby, except for a scheduled recording. So when I sit down to watch something and bring my TiVo out of standby, there is nothing in any of the buffers.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Good discussion guys.

The 2 hour buffer was especially helpful to me when dealing with the children.

So Daddy is watching something and the girls ask me to come look at something. I pause the show and next thing I know 45 minutes have gone by and I pickup where I left off when I paused. I was a happy camper.

With the TiVo way I am screwed in that scenario, which happens quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Hit record, then pause.
Yes. When I first got TiVo in 2001/2002 I quickly found out that the best policy was to always hit record. Anything that I started watching I would hit record. Because if you lost track of time, you could miss a show if you just used pause. Or even a wrong button press. Accidentally hitting a number and the channel changes, losing the buffer. So after running into those issues initially, I then changed my behavior to always hitting record and have not regretted that decision during the last thirteen years of using TiVos.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-05-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: grammar....doH!!!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I find it easier just to not watch live TV.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
Pnyklr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. When I first got TiVo in 2001/2002 I quickly found out that the best policy was to always hit record. Anything that I started watching I would hit record. Because if you lost track of time, you could miss a show if you just used pause. Or even a wrong button press. Accidentally hitting a number and the channel changes, losing the buffer. So after running into those issues initially, I then changed my behavior to always hitting record and have not regretted that decision during the last thirteen years of using TiVos.
I'll give that a try, thanks.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I find it easier just to not watch live TV.
Me too. I find that by watching only recordings I tend to watch less crap TV and enjoy what I do watch much more. And when I see a full season of a show pile up and realize that I'm never going to want to watch it, I get a thrill when I delete the episodes and season pass and get 18 or so hours of my life back that I would have wasted on bad TV.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #21
Pnyklr

That brings up another question. How do I delete an entire folder of the same episode in one fell swoop?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #22
Thom

Quote:
That brings up another question. How do I delete an entire folder of the same episode in one fell swoop?
Highlight the folder and press the clear button. It will ask if you want to delete the folder and all its contents.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #23
Pnyklr

Thank you!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Yea I may see myself missing this as well when I switch.

I'd settle for just an hr but 30 minutes is a bit short.
For me, the biggest problem I've found with the insanely short 30-minute buffer is when I'm interrupted by someone/something and need to pause the LiveTV feed for what I think will be just a moment. Often, the interruption will be longer than expected and the TiVo will auto-resume when the 30-minute buffer has filled, both injecting noise where it's not wanted and losing my place in the show.

Sure, I could record everything, but a bump of the buffer would likely negate almost all concerns.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #25
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
For me, the biggest problem I've found with the insanely short 30-minute buffer is when I'm interrupted by someone/something and need to pause the LiveTV feed for what I think will be just a moment. Often, the interruption will be longer than expected and the TiVo will auto-resume when the 30-minute buffer has filled, both injecting noise where it's not wanted and losing my place in the show.

Sure, I could record everything, but a bump of the buffer would likely negate almost all concerns.
Except if channel changing clears the buffer, as is easy to do when you don't intend. It's better to enter the 21st century and stop watching live TV.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #26
Series3Sub

Yes, I've found TiVo's 30 minute buffer very limiting. Everyone else is 2 or 1 hour.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #27
krkaufman

Quote:
Except if channel changing clears the buffer, as is easy to do when you don't intend. It's better to enter the 21st century and stop watching live TV.
Enough with all the replies telling people making reasonable requests/suggestions that they should just suck it up and accept seemingly senseless limitations. I think a 21st Century DVR could shoulder a smidgen of a bump in the live TV buffers without flinching.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #28
ej42137

Quote:
Enough with all the replies telling people making reasonable requests/suggestions that they should just suck it up and accept seemingly senseless limitations. I think a 21st Century DVR could shoulder a smidgen of a bump in the live TV buffers without flinching.
There is a suggestions forum where that might be appropriate to whine about things that are unlikely to be changed; this is the place where we talk about how to get around problems.

Back when you could change the buffer length I took that option. You know what? Even two hours wasn't enough when you have two children and a wife pulling you away for the television; only using the record button really solves the problem.

Use the record button; it will avoid problems if you change the channel and it won't matter even if your interruption is longer than two hours. IMO in these days when TiVo is worried about trying to capture the cord-cutters and the cord-nevers they are unlikely to spent limited resources on this issue. We're talking about a company that can't even afford to index their website, you know.

Last edited by ej42137; 08-09-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #29
krkaufman

Quote:
Back when you could change the buffer length I took that option.
Glad you agree.

---
edit: p.s.
Quote:
There is a suggestions forum where that might be appropriate to whine about things that are unlikely to be changed; this is the place where we talk about how to get around problems.
It's a bit late for this comment, and comes across as petty, given its inclusion in your third reply to the thread. Further, if the moderators opt not (or simply lack the time) to move a thread to a more appropriate subforum, we users are left to comment where we find 'em.

Last edited by krkaufman; 08-09-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #30
ej42137

Quote:
Glad you agree.
Actually, I do agree; it would be "nice" to have a two hour buffer, and it was nice to be able to change the size of the buffer. But it's ridiculous to run that campaign in this thread. It's better to suggest ways to lessen the pain than to continually grind the axe.

Also, please stop with the ad hominem. You are usually a better person than that.